1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Saddam to sue sun

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Piratetaco, 20 May 2005.

1. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

Saddam to sue over prison photos
    The Sun's front page showing Saddam Hussein in his underpants
    The Sun says this is an "extraordinary iconic news image"
    Saddam Hussein plans to take legal action after a British newspaper published photos of him half-naked in his prison cell and doing his washing.

"We will sue the newspaper and everyone who helped in showing these pictures," said Saddam Hussein's chief lawyer Ziad Al-Khasawneh, speaking from Jordan.

The Sun newspaper said it would fight any legal action and said it planned to publish more photos on Saturday.

The US has launched an investigation into how the photos were leaked.

The US military and legal experts said the photos - possibly taken more than a year ago - may breach Geneva Convention rules on the humane treatment of prisoners of war.

The conventions say countries must protect prisoners of war in their custody from "public curiosity".

what the bloody hell? here's a man who's killed thousands , who is on trial right now sueing a paper because they got a picture of him in his undies. the world baffles me.

zee link

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

But that's the key to the "free world" isnt it? Every man has a right to a fair trial?

3. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

Saddam vs Murdoch

...I can't decide who I want to loose more.

4. TheAnimus

TheAnimus Banned

i'm with acrimonious where, no matter how bad someone is they have rights, and whilsts i think saddam should be desposed of in the cheapest manner (death penatly is too expensive because of damn appeals) he shouldn't be humiliated.

5. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

HAHAHA :D

6. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

Hold on a min... in the BBC article the US has said that its a breach of the ganeva convention that the sun has shown these pictures.
    Come on, to me thats bloody hypocritical as the US has defided the convention with its "prisoners" in cuba (i cant spell guantanimo atm)

Granted this could be the drink typing but if im wrong ill retract this post.

7. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Who took the pictures? Thats the question they should be asking... :duh:

8. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Precisely Kevo. I think someone could be up **** creek when they find out (and I can't imagine it'll be too hard to find out who had access...)

As for suing, frankly he is perfectly entitled to.

Every person (no matter how repulsive) has a right to a fair trial (that's one of the benefits of our "democracy" that we like to impose on people). Secondly, every POW (no matter how repulsive) has rights under the Geneva Convention.

We can't throw these principles aside just because the person in question isn't particularly popular...

Sam

9. Falkram

Falkram What's a Dremel?

i have to agree entirely with psychosis. No matter how much you might dislike the man he does have certain rights, the same rights you're granted, I might add. Undermining rights for anyone person undermines them for us all. Kind of the same idea with censorship. Censoring something just because you like it isn't acceptable, because by opening that door, you allow the power to be misused.

10. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

^ What he said

11. ajack

ajack rox

:( Thought he was trying to sue the sun when I read this title...

12. Uncle Psychosis

Uncle Psychosis Classically Trained

Well, let's put it this way. Saddam is about (well, I say about, but I imagine there are some people *cough*rumsfeld*cough* who might benefit from not giving him one...) to go on trial for God only knows what, and he's going to be found guilty. Murdoch is just a dick.

Anyway, wouldn't it be funny if The Scum, sorry, The Sun was forced to apologise to Saddam? It would take them down a peg or six...

Sam

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Well said dude :thumb:
    Interesting how the Sun got hold of them though - they're a sneaky bunch...

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The photos were leaked by fairly high-ranking US army personnel who felt that the publication of these pictures would demoralise the terrorists in Iraq --sort of to emphasise that Saddam ain't a powerful big guy and he ain't coming back. What they failed to consider of course is that:

1. terrorists love a martyr. This stunt keeps Saddam in the public eye and will only strenghten his followers' resolve;

2. Most terrorist factions are actually not pro-Saddam Ba'ath-ists but Shi'ite fundamentalists. If anything, this will increase their confidence to let rip.

Let's face it, the US goverment or its army should not be allowed to make predictions surrounding human behaviour... :rolleyes:

And yes, he is allowed to sue. He may be a human-rights violating monster, but we, supposedly, are not.

15. JinkzUK

JinkzUK What's a Dremel?

I think he's got socks tucked down there :D

16. K

K 528491

No one's going to sue cause he won't be able to afford it!

Not sure I'd have the audacity to say such photos were 'humiliating' after doing such things. You'd just grin and bear it.

17. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

hes got every right to, i hope he wins too, it will be his one last triumph before hes put on trial.

18. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

How the hell can you say that? :sigh:

Unless it was sarcy..

19. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

Because the Sun "News"paper is nothing but scum and deserve everything they get?

:clap:

20. Kevo

Kevo 426F6C6C6F636B7300

No his French lawyer will sue on his behalf, I bet Saddam knows nothing about this....