1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Making my own NAS?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-16, 16 May 2005.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

What kinda hardware do NAS (network addressed storage) use? I know having an ethernet controller needs a separate cpu-like controller and software to assign it an IP and help with the traffic etc but can you buy raw NAS hardware?

2. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

There are some hard drive caddies and stuff that can be attached to an ethernet network directly on the market I think.

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

The only one's I've seen have been actual computers with RAID cards etc. in them. But I'm guessing you've already considered the 're-using the old P-II/III that's gathering dust in the corner' method...

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dont have one of them since ive sold virtually everything to make some money.

5. Stingray

Stingray What's a Dremel?

Get your NAS hardware here...

I picked up this nifty device (KUROBOX) and am using it as a small web server, FTP, etc. This is the basic guts from a Buffalo NAS station and incorporates network interface, IDE interface and in a small package using about 18W of power. Out of the box, you can install the usual NAS software (provided) or install a linux kernel and go nuts.

http://kurobox.com/

Later,
    Stingray

6. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Linksys do a box (@ ebuyer, specs @ linksys), which ethernets into your network but allows you to attatch HDD's via USB 2.0 to it. Though alot of people slag linksys off i personally like them and am thinking about buying this (if only they did it in the same case as there routers!!).

7. jetsetjimbo

jetsetjimbo Up-up and away

The ones we use at work are 1u HP jobbies with 4 x 250gb SATAs, they use a custom cut down version of Server 2003.

8. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

heh, I've just finished building one at work with 10 250Gb SATA drives, + 2x80Gb for os, dual xeaons, 4Gb of ram, but I'm guessing it's a little out of bindi's price range ;)

9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

That's a server, not a NAS :p

10. planki

planki ...

ive just read this on the internet clicky

technically its not a nas but it allows you to plug usb gear into the network so you could get a usb enclousure with a hard drive inside and plug that into this device which would give you the same thing effectively.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thanks for the link planki :thumb: but it doesnt look like they have that many distributors in the UK.

12. sk8o

sk8o What's a Dremel?

Could you not just get an EPIA 500Mhz and use a couple of 300GB drives in it, Amount to pretty much the same thing... (Unless you want to spend way over the mark or are good with designing communications stacks...)

13. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Looky! :)

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No cheap uk distributors...

15. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Very true, although I don't think we'll be finding any cheap distributors for any of this kind of thing - NAS seems to be a codeword for expensive atm. :(

16. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

using the usb solution is more expensive than mini itx if you put the cost of the usb caddie in (asuming you already have a psu)

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

true, and itx would be faster.

18. fev

fev Industry Fallout