1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Revolution? Not till next year

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by GreatOldOne, 20 May 2005.

1. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

2. dozer

dozer What's a Dremel?

same as the ps3

3. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

You *think* for once they'd learn...just once...

What a shame. By the time this comes out, it will be bought by the retro-gamers, and that's about all. In this next-gen war, timing will be everything because all the systems are such a step up from their predecessors. So for Nintendo to miss the boat, people will have already spent their money on one or the other of the big 2.

4. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

I all of a sudden think that Bindi could be right about the death of Nintendo :waah: .

Death

5. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

It does have one thing going for it -

They said that you can download all the classic nintendo games for free.....

It might be worth it if it's cheaper than everyone else -

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Wot did i tell you?

Either that, or itll be like the PS2 vs the DC - pwn everything :D

7. DeathAwaitsU

:hehe: Worried you've been leaking inside info eh Bindi? :lol: .

Death

8. Dinh

Dinh What's a Dremel?

They are just waiting for the Xbox360 to come out and buy it to learn all the mistakes and copy some of the 1337 features.

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

wha?! :eyebrow:

If this is a sarcastic comment, then forgive me and disregard the following:

There is a lot of importance behind business timings vs. success or failure of a product. A delay behind the release of the two industry giants will cripple the sales of any other company, and nintendo doesn't have the money to throw out like MS and Sony. The best release strategy is to let everyone else hype up the target market for months about "next-gen", then dominate advertising for about 1 month before your product release, which needs to be about 2 weeks to a month before theirs.

Everyone is fueled about what ALL the consoles can do at the moment, so Nintendo could just ride their wave, then say in the last month "here is OUR next gen...it rocks, it's great, buy it...because it's here NOW!" Then wave a few titles around (Metroid would be a good place to start, followed by the retro idea), and they'll get some sales. To lag behind, they'll have to re-hype a saturated market to purchase a second product like they just bought a few months ago.

There's a reason everyone stays so tight lipped about real specs until just a little before release, and this is it. It creates fervor and puts you in the spotlight right before you go to market. And you hope you can get it out about a month before the competition, because then you crush their sales because noone wants to wait a month when their buddy just got this great system and "it's so cool and l337" and whatever you want to call it.

Nintendo, if we could give you a gun to shoot your own foot, you'd miss. Because you already blew it off.

10. Preti9cboi

Preti9cboi What's a Dremel?

Yeah man, I agree with exactly what you said. I remember having a super nintendo and waited forever for the N64 to be released while the playstation 1 got all of their sales. What a bunch of dumbasses. -=\ And when the N64 was released, the games were far and few inbetween because cartridges were expensive for developers. "idiots"

Originally Nintendo was suppose to do a gaming machine with Sony for the playstation one. They scrapped the idea because Nintendo wanted to stick to cartridges because of all the money they invested into some cartridge making companies, while sony wanted to use the CD format. Sony spent so much time and effort into the idea that they decided to release the machine all on their own. They soaked up all of nintendo's sells.... And Nintendo's marketing campain on "QUALITY games"? What a bunch of BS. Nintendo lost some of their best developers such as Square!

Nintendo needs to also realize that their target market grew up! Kids who use to own a super nintendo have all grown up now. Stop making your systems and games look so damn freaking kiddy....

P.S. I hope nintendo reads this and realizes that I use to be a nintendo fan but no MORE! My last system was a ps3.

In fact i'm going to email them right now...lol

11. MaplinMan

MaplinMan What's a Dremel?

looks like nintendo are dying slowly...

not that i care, remember what they did to sega mwuahaha sweet karma

12. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Tbh, Nintendo has just as much money to spend as Sony and Microsoft does on their systems. Do you actually think that Sony and Microsoft are going to throw their entire banking behind a console? Not likely. They have a set amount of money that they can spend. Nintendo has been in the gaming business for almost, or maybe even more, 100 years. They still have quite a bit of money to put behind a console. Don't count them out yet.

13. riggs

riggs ^_^

Since 1889 actually...

I too thought that Nintendo would be going the way of Sega due to the poor sales of the N64 and Gamecube (compared to rival machines).
    But after thinking about it, although the Revolution may not do as well as the X360 and PS3 in the western world, it's still gonna sell like hot-cakes in the east.

You know what the Japanese are like!

14. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

yeah, i knew it was somewhere along those lines. just couldn't remember the year.

15. LAGMonkey

LAGMonkey Group 7 error

wow...since 1886? i wonder what THAT console was like?

EDIT:: add 3 years on and youll get the year i was thinking about. And im supposed to be good at maths (or so my Engineering Maths test results tell me :D)

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

19th centuary?

Am i reading this right? So you're all saying the original Nintendo games consoles were made before electricity was discovered??.

17. Sea Shadow

Sea Shadow aka "Panda"

If I remember correctly, before they made consoles they were a card game company. Nintendo is ANCIENT!

18. Otacon

Otacon What's a Dremel?

It was actually a joint project to create a CD add on for the SNES a la MEGA CD style that sega did for the Mega Drives. Nintendo eventually canned the idea and screwed sony out of the contract. Sony being pissed off after there invenstment then did decide to go it on there own.

Almsot sad really... that the reason sony even entered the games market is that nintendo screwed them.. my how the tables have turned.

I used to consider myself a Nintendo fan having used them since back in the NES days, but now i just go where the Final Fantasy Series goes.... Still it would be a shame to lose Nintendo from the hardware side as I still can't even get my head round SEGA being just a games developer.

19. riggs

riggs ^_^

No, no.

Nintendo have been around (in one form or another) since 1889.

They started out making playing cards (under the name 'Marufuku Company').
    Changed their name to Nintendo in 1907.

It wasn't until the mid 70's that they jumped on the videogame bandwagon.

20. DeathAwaitsU

And we all rejoiced knowing they would satisfy us for decades more to come :D .

Death

Tags: Add Tags