1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding ipod/ipod shuffle case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Goldfish, 22 May 2005.

1. Goldfish

Goldfish What's a Dremel?

Ok, not so much "modding" as making my own accessories, I'm wanting to make my own soft cases for my iPod shuffle, and also my step dad's iPod.

Now, what I'm asking is what the blinky heck is the stuff that you get on phone soft cases called? The clear stuff that you can press buttons and see the screen through? Is it PVC? Vinyl? Somthing totally obscure that I would have never heard of before? I'm having trouble getting some pricing on it, not knowing what its called... as you can imagine.

Also, is there any way I could cover up the iPod's click wheel thing and not prevent it from working? Or am I just going to have to leave a hole in my cover for it?

Cheers!

2. theshadow27

theshadow27 What's a Dremel?

clear vinyl... think shower curtins

3. jerb111

jerb111 What's a Dremel?

its silicon, and you may aswell buy cases if your going to make anything with it. may i suggest iskin.com and a company named vaja makes them aswell

4. Goldfish

Goldfish What's a Dremel?

Yeah step dad has the iSkin thing and doesn't like it at all. Too soft and, uhh, boingy. The whole reason why I wanted the clear vinyl (which is what it is, I've found out), is because it was much tougher and more rigid than the iSkin thing.

5. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

Could be any one of clear silicone, PVC or vinyl.

The most common one for cellphone cases is vinyl thou.

6. theshadow27

theshadow27 What's a Dremel?

PVC isnt nearly as flexable as vinyle - so when you try to press a button it can hit the buttons around it

clear silicon is TOTALY difrent. every cellphone case has used vinyl, silicon is a IPod thing. and you cant use it to cover buttons/scroll wheels because it has too much friction. every silicon ipod case has a cut out for the wheel... and it isnt like you can just cast it at home

vinyl is th eway to go