1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL feat. Telewest: Merger!

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Bogomip, 9 May 2005.

1. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

Thats right, there finally merging!

The whole thing can be found here: http://www.exthus.co.uk/

Its a good ideas, as 2 companies they dont have that great coverage each. But as one big company, they got it going on :)

(btw: wtf has happened to the tech newsroom ?!)

2. bort

bort What's a Dremel?

I'm not so sure if thats a great idea

Many of my mates have had NTL cable (past tense... they got something else now) and its been shite

If they combine the companies there is a strong potential for 2x as much shite

3. nick[x1]

nick[x1] What's a Dremel?

NTL is crap, never used telewest, but been told they were crap.

Crap + crap = double crap?

4. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

the channels you get on ntl tv isnt that bad, the boxes are rubbish though! And ivenever had a problem with their internet! I always got super fast speeds! Exactly what my package said i could get :)

5. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

The internet has been great. I've used NTL since not long after it became available and their internet service has always been good. I don't like their new pricing schemes but still, you can't complain when they increase the speed for free. However their digital TV is just pants. The only decent channel is SkyOne and I don't think it's worth it just for one more channel. Plus the set top box gets really hot; ours had to be replaced because we sat the telly ontop of it....

6. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

No, Telewest's internet service is superb. However, I hear *terrible* things about NTL from both a Net and DigitalTV perspective. :sigh:

If they merge and my service goes to ratshit, I'm on the first bus to Sky+ and ADSL.

7. Henchman:crg

Henchman:crg What's a Dremel?

Well, Telewest said I could get cable TV + internet, they then charged me, then came to my place to install it and found out I couldn't get it.
    Then after all that, they contact me again to see if I wanted cable (it still wan't available) :eeek:

P.S. I can't even begin to describe how incompetent they were, nobody seemed to have any idea what was going on

8. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Why the hell Sky have not created an ADSL ISP company is beyond me.

To be honest most people don't see NTL or Telewest as real competitors to Sky, we get a huge amount of customers transferring from cable over to satallite, the only problem is that the cable companies are able to offer an all in one phone, internet, tv package and Sky offer them as seperate items, Sat TV, Sky Talk, 3rd party ISP.
    I think if Sky were to offer it's own flavour of ADSL at a cheap rate to Sky subscribers they would wipe the floor with the cable companies.

9. Hiren

Hiren mind control Moderator

True, my family has ntl and whilst the telephone and internet is good, the DigitalTV box is absolute crap. Constantly crashes (we have had 4 boxes in 2 years) 1/2 the interactive stuff just doesn't work.

I wish there was a option to keep cable internet with SKY tv.

10. Dodge

Dodge What's a Dremel?

sureley they have the bandwidth to do this though the sky dishes?

11. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Yes, and it was investigated at one point to my knowledge.

Would be crap for gaming though, poor pings.

12. K

K 528491

I've been on NTL cable services for about 7 years now (phone and TV) and we've been using their cable internet since it's rollout in my area in 2001 and it hasn't been smooth sailing all the way. I recall the first month or so we had a lot of downtime and then it would seem we get a week or two of problems annually. It can be very annoying because a lot of the time the problems are simple on their end to fix but it can take you an aeon to get through to someone from NTL that knows what the hell they're on about.

On the plus side, the prices are good, you get free speed upgrades and they really don't seem to enforce their 'caps' (trust me), they seem more like a petty legal disclaimer to keep the anti-P2P crew off their backs.

The TV though... Oh my word. Horrendous. I'm put off by watching TV in the living room because it's slow, has a crap interface and a crap remote. Rubbish.

13. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

i remember that im my household we were some of the first people to get digital Tv with NTL an that was back in 1998/1999 or befor that i think..........and its been ok but not a huge revoloution unlike sky.

one thing that really pisses me off is since we had it installed they promised us broadband internet......even up until today we dont hav it in our area!!!!

there have be countless downtimes on Tv and even on their dial-up ISP when i used them....

the funny thing is that they have been slowly charging it's customers more an more for crap service.....

so my mum rang up an gave them a huge shout and fuss and also told them that we ordered sky(we did really do that,they has better offers) and they shat themselfs and told my mum that her service would be half price for the next 6months. i still would have gone with sky.

i heard that NTL was in a huge loss an so i believe that a merger with a cable company that fullfills promises aka Telewest will hopefully be good.

14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not just for gaming - i was using a sat connection a while back, and most of the time the ping was around 200, half of the time you'd be browsing the web and it'd randomly reset the link you were loading, then the other half of the time, it'd end up killing MSN etc. :miffed:

Sounds like it'll be a reasonable company for people wanting a simple comms package - Digital TV, phone and internet connections from one company with pretty reasonable coverage. :)

15. hughwi

hughwi Minimodder

Well, i have been with Telewest cable internet (Blueyonder) for about 6 years now and apart from the first month after installation with horrible problems, and a few days here and there, its been great. Shame about the TV package though...

16. ginguskahn

ginguskahn What's a Dremel?

I don't think yoda meant providing adsl over a sky dish? He means just provide normal ADSL like pipex or whoeever, but in the sky name. After all you need a phone line to have sky digi don't you. It would just a nice all inclusive package that would include broadband. Would definatly have pulled me away from ntl in the days when I used to have it (at my old house).

17. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Thats excactly what I was suggesting, by offering an ADSL package in the Sky name it would be a way to tempt people away from Telewest/Blueyonder.

18. KelticFox

KelticFox What's a Dremel?

Maybe Mr Murdoch is trying to keep some of his (hard earned???) money for when Saddam sues The Sun ;)

19. scotty6435

scotty6435 What's a Dremel?

I've had NTL cable internet for about 18 months now (512 -> 768 -> 2meg.... all free upgrades :)) and the only downtime I've had was a year ago when it was half speed for about 3 days. I've had zero problems with the hardware or the service and considering I can run azureus at 240kbps I'm damn happy! Cable has a lot of advantages over ADSL but I'd still like syncronous upspeeds rather than the low 200kbps :(