1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple Crumpler Wee Bee and Tucano Second Skin thoughts and pictures

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gordy, 23 May 2005.

1. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

After getting my powerbook I needed something to keep my precious safe and clear from harm. I had a look at various options but the ones that leapt to mind were the Crumpler Wee Bee and the Tucano Second Skin

Crumpler Wee Bee

This is a tiny little bag for the 12in powerbook. I cannot believe how well made this bag is, material is top quality as is the seems and stiching. There is plenty of velcro to keep all the flaps in place. Opening it gives access to a small front pocket with a velcro opening I've put my network and phone cable in there. On the main flap is a small net pocket with a zip for smaller items. The powerbook has its own special slot with a large flap holding it securly in place.

There is space inside to put a fair bit of stuff along with your powerbook. The inside is a bright orange material which looks fairly waterproof which is a bonus.

The strap is nice and comfy with a pad for your shoulder.

Overall its very impressive and looks like it would take a lot of abuse without any problems.

I got mine for £51 inc vat and shipping from http://we-sell-crumpler.co.uk/index.asp it took a few days to arrive as it wasn't in stock at the time but they pulled out all the stops and even shipped it direct from the supplier for me which was very good. I emailed them and got a very quick response from Paula who answered my questions and helped me out. They are the cheapest by some margin so its well worth a look if you are after a crumpler bag.

One of its biggest plus's is that it looks nothing like your normal laptop bag so thieves wont be drawn to it when you are out and about.

Pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tucano Second Skin Black 12in

This case is very different from the crumpler its aimed at people who want to chuck there powerbook in any old bag. Its a perfect fit and seems very well made. It provides quite a bit of padding but I dont see the powerbook surviving drops for massive heights in this case, but it would help things a lot.

Its quick to put the powerbook in and you can tie it up with the wee bee for extra protection as it just fits into the slot for the powerbook.

My main critisms of this is all the silly writing on the outside I'd prefer a simple logo as it tells everyone you have a very expensive laptop for stealing.

I got mine from the local apple reseller it cost £25 which is far too expensive for me, you can get it for £16.99 online but have to pay a fair bit of shipping with most of the stores I looked at (9.99 in one!!) As no where had the in stock I just bit the bullet and got it.

Pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RTT

RTT #parp

The second skin especially looks top, top quality :eeek:

Do they cost any more for a 15" 2nd skin? Edit, found a few retailers, answer is yes.

3. K

K 528491

4. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

crumpler bags are A++

5. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Yeah they are nice, the bag it comes in is nice too it has a fun little plastic zip I could bare to throw it away :D

K: I'm not a fan of army camo but you cant go wrong with the second skin as long as you don't mind spending the dough :)

6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

I swear by Crumpler bags. I had a "Wack-O-Phone" messenger style bag for my old Samsung lappie before I succumbed to the Darkside, and it kept it in tip top condition.

I now have a "Crippy Duck" for my 15" PB. This is essentially the same bag as the "Wee Bee" - just a little bigger.

My mate has a Tucano second skin for his PB, and he's very happy with it. If you want something with less conservative styling and less writing, you could do as Mrs GOO has done and get yourself a Crumpler "The Gimp" neoprene slip case. ;)

7. burnoutuk

burnoutuk What's a Dremel?

I use the Tucano second skin 12" with my ibook :rock:
    I got it from KRCS Apple Centre in Nottingham £16

8. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

I had a look at the gimp but wasnt sure if it was as simple as the tucano? And would fit in the wee bee. Having seen both GOO any ideas on that?

In the photo's it looks a larger and has straps and stuff I think so I got the tucano instead. :)

9. GreatOldOne

The Gimp is just a simple neoprene slip case - no straps. You just sit the laptop on one half, flip the other half over and pull the zipper round. It doesn't add a lot to the dimensions of the PB; However, IIRC it's not as form fitting as the Tucano.

As to wether it'll fit in the Bee - I can't see why not. However, I'd take your bag and laptop along to a store that sells them and try it before buying.

10. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

Cheers was just interested really. Sounds like they are pretty similiar in design :)

11. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

I didn't realise they had changed the Tucano skin colour/design. Think I like my gray better :) Really need to get one of those crumplers.

12. Shak

Shak What's a Dremel?

That's really sweet. I was thinking of getting the Crippy Duck for my 15" for a general carrying around bag. The Crumpler bags really are excellent. I've got The Gimp but the zip caused a little scratching on my 15", so I've started using the RadTech PowerSleevz as well with it.

Has anyone any experience of the Shrinkle, or Formal Lounge bags? I'm looking for something to hold the 15" and my DSLR :-D

Cheers for any help or replies,

Rob

13. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

I put my precious precious 12" Powertool in a Incase Schoulder bag. Wich then goes in a JanSport backpack (sp?)(Same as Eastpak, standard model, 2 parts).

The Incase has 1 main compartment wich holds the Powerbook pretty tightly. In that compartment there is a tiny thingy that could hold namecards etc.. I use it to keep my digipass in (for pc banking). On the outside it has a main pocket, that holds a powersupply, vga-out cable, a iPod and a few pens. On the other side there is also a small compartment that can hold about 5 cd's (without the cd cases, offcours)

Its a very small bag wich is really good because I can keep it in my backpack, without loosing alot of space. And if I only need the laptop then I can use it as a schoulderbag, a very small one.

Its like a "Second Skin" Only thicker and a pocket on the outside. And a strap for your schoulder. (but you can take that off).

It cost me 50Euro. Very very pleased with it.

My other choice was a Brenthaven Pro File 12".
    I didnt like the second skins as then I would always have to put in my backpack (no choice) and it didn't seem that protective.

L

14. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

Thumbs up for crumpler, I have the Shrinkle and it will take up to a 15" powerbook in its laptop section (and all my camera gear in the other), backpack format.

15. Shak

Shak What's a Dremel?

Excellent, cheers for posting this. I've been looking for info as to whether the Shrinkle will hold the 15" PowerBook (it says 15" laptop, didn't know whether they'd include the widescreen nature of the PowerBook). I think I'll be getting one of those for my trip out to the US.

Cheers.
    Rob

16. cmeinck

cmeinck What's a Dremel?

I have a new Powerbook 15" and looking for a new case. I have a Crumpler camera bag and love it. I'd like to get the BOOQ vyper and then place inside a Crumpler bag. Does anyone have the Crippy Duck and will it fit with the Booq.

17. GreatOldOne

I have the crippy duck, but not that sleeve.

And from the pictures on the site, I'm guessing that it's not going to fit - that or be very tight, as the sleeve looks quite bulky. Do you happen to know how much it adds to the dimensions of the PB? If so, I can measure the internal dimensions of my bag and let you know if there's any possibility of it fitting.

18. cmeinck

cmeinck What's a Dremel?

Okay, I'm torn between the Part and Parcel (formerly the Wack o Phone) or the Crippy Duck. It looks like the duck might hold more than the Wack o Phone? I'm leaning towards the Part and Parcel, but it might be a bit pricey for just holding the PB 15".

Any thoughts? What else can you hold in the Wack O Phone?

-Chris

19. cmeinck

cmeinck What's a Dremel?

Well, I opted for the Part & Parcel in brown. Still not sure what type of sleeve, but leaning towards Booq if I can fit into the Crumpler with Booq sleeve. If not, then maybe the Shinza. Thanks.

20. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I went for the 12" McBain for actual baggage... and the 12"School Hymn for chucking in another bag... SH is a tad too big... but i don't care... it protects it well enough...

Tags: