1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows wanna know what would be needed for game server

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by (spc)kuhnkejer, 26 May 2005.

1. (spc)kuhnkejer

(spc)kuhnkejer What's a Dremel?

Hi all. Anyways a group of my friends and me want to start our own server for BF2. So far we have a p4 with ht running at 3.00 (water cooled), 2 gigs of pc3200 running a 2.0 cas and two harddrives (sata 160 gigs) running in raid and will soon be adding a modded case to the mix. I need to know what kind of upload and down load speeds we need for it to be able to play 16 an games and do ineed a good vcard? or is some thing like a 5700or 9600pro good enogh. Thanks guys if you can help i would really like it :confused:

2. Springs

Springs Boing boing

following specs taken off a bf website.. (the specs aint fully set in stone so they might change)

Linux:
    Minimum specifications for 16 players - Processor: 1.0 GHz and Memory: 256 MB RAM

Recommended specifications for 64 players - Processor: Intel Pentium IV or Athlon XP 3.0 GHz or Opteron 64-bit 1.8 GHz and Memory: 1 GB RAM

Windows:
    Minimum specifications for 16 players - Processor: 1.0 GHz and Memory: 384 MB RAM

Recommended specifications for 64 players - Processor: Intel Pentium IV or Athlon XP 3.0 GHz and Memory: 1 GB RAM

Bandwidth: 2.5 Mbit. Recomended: 5 Mbit

3. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

BF2 will be different, springs... I think it will require more bandwidth... the server itself seems plenty, for bandwidth you probably want at least 3mbps up / 3mbps down (Equates to like 360KB/s both ways..)..

Anyways, a STANDALONE server won't need a major video card, as they just run code (if I recall correctly..) and don't display anything. A 9600 Pro should be good enough.

Good luck :)

4. Springs

Springs Boing boing

well those specs were from EA and were foound on a bf1942/BF2 website...

5. (spc)kuhnkejer

wow thanks so i should be good with my cable service that i have now thanks guys.

6. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Most cable upload speeds are poor compared to the download... mine is 3mbps/256kbps, quite poor... might want to check with your ISP if you can get an upgrade (if you don't already have a nice 3/3mbps connection or so)

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Indeed. But consider the fact that most games are optimized for 56k as far as netcode goes. So figure 5KB up per person or so, 16man would be 80KB/s = 640Kbit/sec. Cable isn't really too low latency either. Unless you're on Verizon FIOS or something which is really nice speeds (but available practically nowhere AFAIK, possibly Chicago though, I'd check on that... not to mention it's fiber not cable but $50/month for 15/2Mbit or something), cable likely won't have enough upload to do 16man. 8man maybe, but don't expect superb pings.

8. (spc)kuhnkejer

what software do i use to test my upload and download speeds that should let me know what to do. again thanks guys for your support.

9. Springs

Springs Boing boing

there are some websites around that will test your connection... best try google... dont no the sites off hand..

10. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Tags: