1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: Homebrew CNC Machine

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by JavaDog, 8 Apr 2005.

1. xc3ll

xc3ll What's a Dremel?

what are you using to convert the NC code to actual commands?? looks sick man... I heard of some crazy dude on the internet making his own CNC machine awhile back, and I was like "NO WAY!"... u proved me wrong man, lol!

2. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

I am going to use OneCNC XR to generate the G-Code, and ArtSOFT Mach3 to run the G-Code...

3. (spc)kuhnkejer

(spc)kuhnkejer What's a Dremel?

so it sounds like things are going all right when are we going to see pics. I would like to see how far you have gotten on this project.

4. xc3ll

xc3ll What's a Dremel?

dear Lord... onecnc xr is beautiful.... i want to cry! i want it soo bad now!

5. Nads

Nads What's a Dremel?

is there any reason not to use stepper motors, suitably geared for a cnc machine as here in the UK a company builds servo driver boards and supplys the complete kit. The servo is driven by rs232 and can be daisy chained. Although by gearing down you will increase linear times, it may make a smaller cnc machine viable to make for the masses. heres the address: http://www.milinst.com/
    Oh and they do a natty line in RC controllers too, and also sell a DIY, if not very big CNC machine which joe public could build and create small items

6. Starbuck3733T

Starbuck3733T Look out sugar, here it comes

I sooooo badly want to see the rest of this beast!

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

I second that - time for an update and more pictures, surely?
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

8. obzelite

obzelite What's a Dremel?

I'd be interested to know how similar your machine would be when finished to something like this.

http://www.rolanddg.com/products/mdx650/index.html

Just got finance for one for my business, but your 2,000usd machine makes me feel sick when i think about handing over the 60,000aud for that roland one.

Certainly makes me feel like looking for alternatives before i sign on the dotted line.

9. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

any updates on this beast? i really want to see some progress!

10. obzelite

ditto

11. milgo

milgo What's a Dremel?

obzelite there are several individuals that make cnc routers and then sell them on for more like $5000-$10000 USD depending on size. I will find the forum for you :)
    And anyone seriously interested in affordable small cnc machines should check out sherline and taig (peatol in the UK). In the US you can get a 5400 sherline machine with everything to convert it to cnc for $1249.

12. obzelite

Milgo, that would be really cool.

I've put the roland machine purchase on hold as i've found another machine that is larger and is not limited to soft metals. It also has liquid cooling, comes with all the software and controller to run it as well. Its just not 3d, but thats not really an issue as the to go 3d on the roland machine required another 10,000$ rotary axis.
    Going to get a demo of it soon as its one of first four in the country and seems to be a far better deal at 20000 aud.

Still really want to see what javadog comes up with

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Unfortunately for us, I think javadog has finished his creation, and is too busy playing with it to update this log :D

14. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

From memory the exact same thing happened the last time someone made a CNC machine (Kong or someone? *shrug*). We got 9/10ths of a project log and then they vanished.

Oh noes! Homebrew CNCs are cursed!!

15. gometro33

gometro33 What's a Dremel?

16. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

I'm sorry guys...the only curse here is the one of being too busy! :D
    Went on vacation, built an underwater rov camera system, working on getting th CNC machine finished...it never ends. Not that I am complaining! :rock:

Ok, build log pictures in 5...4...3...2...

17. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Ok, so the frame is going to be made from 80/20 and Aluminum Plate (for the end-caps) as I previously went over.

Here is my collection of 80/20 for the frame:
    [​IMG]

These are the fasteners that allow you to bolt things to the 80/20. They go into one of the channels on the sides:
    [​IMG]

So, I need to cut the 80/20 to size.

Here is the weapon of choice:
    [​IMG]

...and its teeth:
    [​IMG]

On to the carnage!!

Last edited: 31 Jul 2005
  18. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Setting up for the first cut:
    [​IMG]

Cutting the 80/20:
    [​IMG]

I actually was amazed, it ate through that aluminum like it was a soft-cheese.

Now, cutting the smaller 80/20:
    [​IMG]

Again, like buttah! :dremel:
    [​IMG]

That was easier than I could have hoped! Now, with the 80/20 all cut, it was time to start drilling the end-plates to bolt everything up.

19. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Here I started to mark where I needed to drill. Since I have two end-plates, and I want them to be exactly the same, I will drill them both (clamped) at the same time.

Marking:
    [​IMG]

You can see the clear lexan I used to make a drill-guide
    [​IMG]

Here is my drill press:
    [​IMG]

Now, let me go off on the table a bit. I was driving my Fiance to work, when I saw what looked like a cool table sitting on the side of the road with a "FREE" sign on it.
    Well, that is my kinda price! So, I stopped to look at it on the way back. Turns out this beast 6ft long and about 5" wider than I needed for my CNC machine. It is made out of HEAVY 1" MDF, with the plastic panel coating and swank red bumper-guards. It was like someone built a table for my CNC machine and left it out for me.

It. Rocks. :rock:

Ok, on to the drilling...

20. JavaDog

JavaDog What's a Dremel?

Drilling the first hole:
    [​IMG]

I am using some HSS drill bits. Cutting dry was a little rough, so I started spraying my bit with a little WD-40. Worked like a charm!

Another hole:
    [​IMG]

Close up:
    [​IMG]

First set of holes drilled:
    [​IMG]

I was pretty happy, all the holes were spot on. Couldn't be better so far!
    More to come soon!! :thumb: