1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Which LCD screen?????

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by maq, 2 Jun 2005.

1. maq

maq What's a Dremel?

i plan to buy a LCD screen soon, and have narrowed it down to two different ones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16824116347

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116352

both look very good to me. 8-ms response time, DVI input. nothing but good reviews from people. But there is a $80 difference in them. And i cant decide which one. I like the VP171B because of the design, and that you can rotate it 90-degrees, and up and down. And i like the 712B because of the price. Any thoughts?

2. Wesker

Wesker What's a Dremel?

I'm liking the VP171B, the design is really sleek.

3. maq

maq What's a Dremel?

yes i agree, but is it worth spending the extra $80?

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

the first one has better contrast and somewhat better viewing angles, although not as much brightness.

If you WOULD rotate it, go for the one that you can rotate. If not, I'd say they'll probably be about the same realistically so go for the cheaper one.

5. maq

maq What's a Dremel?

how much will the contrast ratio difference be? 500:1 to 350:1? in games like hl2,farcry,doom3,UT2k4? any? and how much does the brightness count? a difference of 50cd. What is cd any way? :)

6. Wesker

Wesker What's a Dremel?

When it comes to comparing two monitors in the detail you need you almost have to see them both in action to make a decision.

7. (spc)kuhnkejer

(spc)kuhnkejer What's a Dremel?

8. maq

maq What's a Dremel?

!!!!! a 19in LCD for $230!!!!!! Do my eyes deceive me? Is safari playing tricks on me? has newegg lost their mind?

i just might get that one. Only it doesn't have DVI, and the dot pitch isnt as good as the other two. But dam, a 19in LCD for $230 cannot be beat as you said kuhnkejer.

I was really hoping CircuitCity, or BestBuy might have the two i was comparing, so i could go look at them, but they dont even carry viewsonic :S

thanks every one for your input.

9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Nothing wrong with 16ms ;)

10. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I can game fine on 25ms, but my eyes are more or less immune to ghosting. But they're more sensitive to 60hz flicker than most (I even notice it a tiny bit at 70hz, where my friend can't notice it at all at 60hz) and I can't watch normal TV anymore because the aliasing is horrible (and shows suck now, and we seem to have some half-digital cable type of thing so I notice a TON of mpeg2-encoding artifacts)

12. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

16ms = 60fps = 60hz.

well, not exactly, but it's very very close. and if you use DVI you are locked at 60HZ anyway.

personally, over dvi on my samsung rated at 25ms, i cannot see any visible ghosting except for during very huge explosions *IF* i am turning very fast. normal gameplay at 40-60fps is quite smooth.

13. maq

maq What's a Dremel?

so it would be better to go with vga over dvi? for the hight refresh rate?

Tags: