1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Switch - Idea help

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sgr55, 1 Jun 2005.

1. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok i'm going to keep this simple:
    Building a nice case from scratch.
    Have a nice blue box as seen abouve which am using for switches and leds and front usb....
    you can see i have click switches there... from an old case... which u can also see has a funny lookin front to it. I didnt really want to use that as it looks cheap!

What i was thinkin was i cut a square button shape outa the panel i've covered in maskin tape.... and use that as a button... the switch would somehow need to be mounted inside but i'm not sure the easiest way.... Any suggestions or any better ideas on what to do with the power and reset switches?

Thanks
    Scott

2. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

p.s sorry for the crappy pics... i counldnt find my digital camera

3. fuzzball172

fuzzball172 What's a Dremel?

get hold of a QT110 and make the front touch sensitive... no visible switches, just an area marked with the (|) on symbol...

4. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Look for the guide to making your own Vandel switchs. That guide shows a good way to mount buttons.

5. Gascan1888

Gascan1888 What's a Dremel?

*thread hijack*any guides on that around, i wana try it ?*thread hijack*

back to the problem at hand, uumm just alot of hot glue maybe since you wont see it ??? :D

6. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

If you can place the button so it is close to a side wall of your box you can do it as shown in the sketch.
    [​IMG]
    The upper part of the sketch shows a front view onto the "button". It is just a tongue cut out at three sides. The fourth side acts as a spring loaded hinge.
    The lower part of the sketch shows a cross section view onto the switch (probably not up to all drawing standards, but I'm using MS paint). The switch is glued to the side wall so the button faces the tongue. The tongue carries a bumper because most likely the switch won't be at exactly the right distance from the tongue. The bumper could be made by stacking pieces of electrical tape until everything fits.
    You push the tongue and the bumper pushes the switch. You can label the tongue with the function.

7. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

Nick01, thats not a bad suggestion.... if i can get the dremel workin i'm going to give that a shot. (Probs add a small back light 2 it as well)

I also love the idea of the QT110 - i might go down to maplins and see what i can get cause that would make my life a rather lot easier

Thanks for the ideas :)

8. jokkos

jokkos too busy to mod *sigh*

dark_luna has done the thing nick01 suggests on his alu-pc...the thread in in the project logs section but the pics aren't working :miffed:

9. Krog_Mod

Krog_Mod Minimodder

i got a strange idea... this may be far out there in right field.. but...
    maybe a stealthed power button would be just the ticket. Or something with a cover that makes the switch hidden?