1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Car Rant

Discussion in 'General' started by ozstrike, 1 Jun 2005.

1. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Dammit I'm fed up with car manufacturers.

1;
    On friday night we were driving down the A50, just past Stoke, when the Range Rover started to make a loud grinding noise. We pulled in and found out that the car had lost all drive. we knew what had happened because the same thing had happened previously. The first time it happened was not even one year after getting the car (2002). Driving along and theres a grinding noise and the car wont move. Turns out the splines on the drive shaft had worn smooth. we thought, right, these things happen,, even though its nearly a brand new car, it'll be a one off.
    But 2 years later, it happened again. We had to wait in this lay-by for 3 hours for the truck to come, and then when it came, we had to go all the way back to stoke to change trucks, a 1 hour detour. So we ended up getting there at 4am, after sitting in the truck trying to get to sleep, and the driver's got rap music on LOUD.
    Anyway, we get a car to replace it. A diesel Freelander. In replacement for a top of the range Range Rover. Thank you so much.
    This is all after it had a brand new engine last year after it completely stopped workin. So 3 major problems in 3 years. We've had Range Rovers for over 10 years and never had any problems until this new model. The lorry drivers say they get the same problem every day on Range Rovers, it's because BMW make the engine and front diff, and Land Rover make the rest, so they dont work together. So why did they make it like that in the first place?

2:
    the Aston. Last month my dad took it all the way to Manchester for service, and they only told him when he got there that it was a two day service. What did they give him as a replacement for a £110,000+ car? A 1.6l 3 door Ford Focus. Why thank you.
    So they found an oil leak in the engine which would cost over £2k to fix. Apparently its not covered in the warrantee(sp?). £2k to replace the sump?
    they found the reason that the steering was juddery, and has been for a year. Not one, but two leaks in the power steering. Should they not have found these at the last service?
    Also not under the "comprehensive" warantee is the radio. It completely stopped working and drained the battery every 3 days. It took them 3 times to come up and recharge it before they realised something was wrong. They wouldn' try and fix it under the warantee, and it would cost over £300 to replace, which we had to do in the end, after many attempts to fix it by Land Rover, who actually tried to fix it, more than Aston did.

Gah, and this from two companies that are supposed to make "premium" cars.

[/rant]

Anyway, we've already sold the Aston, and are putting the Range Rover up for sale soon. Not buying them again!

2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Buy Jap.

(sorry) :)

3. Piratetaco

Piratetaco is always right

man i love my 15 year old micra. £170 +£40 for a new battery for a years worth of motoring.

4. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

American cars don't break like that. Should of bought a H2. I know you brits have them.

5. Piratetaco

Froggy STFU. the H2 is the worst , most bloated , slowest POS i've ever seen. its a shed. its crap , i'd rather have a gay porcshe cayenne than the H2.

no a H2 breaks like this

[​IMG]

6. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

I heard of air suspenions but lol.

It is not crap. It isnt slow either. yes its not a cayenne but it sure as hell will last a lot longer.
    "Stock H2 Hummers get up to 60 mph in 10.2 seconds, while the quarter mile takes 17.3 seconds at 80.0 mph."

ive seen modded H2's with 800 HP what will make your land rover cry.
    Horsepower: 750
    0-60mph: 4.508
    60ft: 2.228
    1/8 mile: 8.711
    1/4 mile: 12.80@118.32mph
    and it still gets 19 MPG at 55 MPH
    http://www.breathlessperformance.com/products/Hummer first page.asp

7. Piratetaco

who cares. its ugly , it can't go off road , its shite

now if you want a proper truck go to these very nice people

8. jaguarking11

jaguarking11 Peterbilt-strong

9. Wesker

Wesker What's a Dremel?

I hear good things about the diesal VW Touareg

10. penski

penski BodMod

1. Driveshaft splines wear smooth if school-run-drag-racers have 4wd engaged permenantly on their Chelsea Tractors ;) It's nothing to do with the BMW influence.

2. Expensive cars cost a lot to fix. It's a part of owning them. Get over it.

If you need a large 4x4 ( :rolleyes: ) then get the Diesel VW Touareg.

Jaguarking - Lamborghini LM004 > Hummer (and 20 years before it too).

Froggy - never trust a tuner who extolls upon the virtues of 'ram air' - it doesn't work until you get to around 300mph.

*n

11. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Can't help having 4wd engaged permanently, its permanent 4wd. :wallbash:
    We do kinda need a large 4x4:
    a) when it snows, or rains heavily, you can't get out or into my house without a 4x4
    b)with my sister at boarding school, we need a big car to carry all her stuff.

But meh, my dad's bought an Arnage T instead. :clap: I'll post pics as soon as we take delivery.

Might actually be thinking about getting a VW Toe-rag too.

Oh yeah and I wasn't really complaining about the price of the fixing so much, it's just that everything that's gone wrong with the Aston so far hasn't been covered under the warantee.
    I was complaining more about the POS cars they gave us instead.

12. Piratetaco

but he can't win at Traffic Light GP in that.

13. :: Phat ::

:: Phat :: Oooh shakalaka!

With regards to the Aston.

They're handbuilt so things do go wrong, as Penski said, expensive car, expensive repairs, you'll also find with something like an Aston where a huge engine is wedged into a confined space, even the smallest of repairs can take ages. For instance, If the engine in my BMW ever needed to come out, they have to take out the front steering rack to lower it out.
    Also, with regards to a courtesy car, garages have no legal requirement for a "Like" replacement, they could by all means give you an old Mini.

But as far as I'm concerned, if you can afford an Aston, you're sure as hell going to have another car lying about that you can use.

14. :: Phat ::

You mean knobhead racing?

15. lessthanjake

lessthanjake What's a Dremel?

regardless of the cost it is quite worrying when something of this nature happens in any car, one of my mates dads builds gearboxes for aston martin, and one of the main reasons they go wrong is having the wrong oil put in them, what does that say about these prestige cars.

16. 2800@2.5ghz

2800@2.5ghz What's a Dremel?

one word mate....ROVER

17. :: Phat ::

Use the right oil?

IIRC To change/repair the wiper motor on a DB7 (or it could be a DB9) you have to take the engine out. Way to go :thumb:

18. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

ahahah damn thats slow it sucks and you need a fuel station to run the damn thing :idea:

19. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

froggy you havent been to europe right? before you go on how great the h2 is (*cough) come over here and have a look at the size or should i say width of some of our roads? i would love to see how far you would get with a h2...

20. .308AR

.308AR What's a Dremel?

The H2 is crap anyway. They get 19mpg, do they? :lol:

Tags: