1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project: White Darkness Updated 6/8/05

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ridiculous, 5 Mar 2005.

1. ridiculous

ridiculous What's a Dremel?

Hey all, i thought i would share my 2nd personal build up with you. This will be my first heavily modded computer ive built. NOt only will this machine be modded but it will also be my server/multi purpose machine.

As of now my specs will be
    dual Xeon 2.8s ( possible overclock)
    Asus NCCH- DL mobo
    ULtra 600watt PSU
    Inwin 300 watt PSU for hard drives
    pqi memory havent decided if i want 1gb or 2 yet.
    im hoping to get as close to 1.5 terrabytes across 6 drives in this machine

PLanned mods
    IM goign to have a dual duct mod
    a dual power supply mod
    hard drive window mod
    custom paint
    custom light controller (youllll see why i called this project white darkness)

And im going to try my best to squeeze all this into a thermal take tsunami chassis. Hopefully in the end this will end up being as ridiculous as i dreamed :idea:

I have already started modding now lets seee if i can get a couple images up for you guys.
    Starting with the paint job, ive decided to go with a black on black paint job thus creating my desired darkness effect when there is no light im hoping ot make this case as dark as i can get with out tint before and lights are added to the case.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

sorry if the picturers are blurry, im actually rather surprised at the quality of this paint job using spray paint there are only one or two spots where the paint ran, and judging by their location they will be covered up by various hardware components.

more to come.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2005
  2. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

Can't go too wrong with rustoleum paint. Looks like a nice setup.

3. ridiculous

thanks i finished part of my circuitry last night check it out
    my third hand
    [​IMG]
    in full affect soldering
    [​IMG]
    finished product for the LED controller
    [​IMG]

over the next couple of days i will be doing some R & D with this circuit, as well as string up a whole bunch of leds to disperse around the case. I also plan on building up a power regulators so i dont burn anything out.

heres a pictures of some test fitting, any one have any comments or suggestions?
    [​IMG]

4. deadly-app

deadly-app What's a Dremel?

You are going to have a hard time fitting all that stuff in there :O

5. Bandit_zoraK

Bandit_zoraK What's a Dremel?

so what exactly will your led controller do? is it a flashing pattern or what? looks cool. I am taking microcontrollers class right now (MCU interfracing timing to hitachi memory UGH!) anyways, sort of drunk, sounds good keep it up, I love seeing thoughs who arent complacent to do the standard mod, keep it up.

6. ridiculous

yeah the LED controller will control the flash timings and duration of each blink. when im done im hoping to have it timed so that at any given time you will only be able to see one group of LEDs showing off 1 component of the case at any given time.

As to getting everythingin this case, I thinking im goign to manage to get everythign in except the 2nd power supply i will have to my a rack or something to fit it externally. im hoping to just hide it behind the case. We'll see im hoping to get more work done tonite.

7. Sc0rian

Sc0rian Here comes the farmer

sweet xeon :) Good luck with it mate

- S

8. ridiculous

yeah the LED controller will control the flash timings and duration of each blink. when im done im hoping to have it timed so that at any given time you will only be able to see one group of LEDs showing off 1 component of the case at any given time.

As to getting everythingin this case, I thinking im goign to manage to get everythign in except the 2nd power supply i will have to my a rack or something to fit it externally. im hoping to just hide it behind the case. We'll see im hoping to get more work done tonite.

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Naah, can be done, if you plan it carefully. I've got a WC dual Opteron, two HDD, two CD-Roms, floppy drive, multi-media card reader, Bluetooth, 5" LCD colour screen, 2x16 MO LCD screen, all in a mid-tower. I even have some room left.

10. ridiculous

White Darkness text update

haven't gotten that much done but i finished soldering up the voltage regulator so i don't burn out all my LEDs. I'm still waiting on an order of resistors to come in today (hopefully). I started to design my ducts. Tonight when i get back home i will post my circuit schematics and designs as well as a few picture updates.

11. ridiculous

white darkness pic update.

heres the finished voltage regulator nothing to special it took about 20 min or so to solder it all up. The real pain is stringing up lines of LEDs its taking forever to get what i want :wallbash:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here are some pictures of me starting the HD mod.

laying out to measure the plexi. im using an old tv stand as an edge to snap the plexi with.
    [​IMG]

cover off of the drive.
    [​IMG]

testing the results of the snap, 4" x 5.75" looking good, not its time to mark where to drill the screw holes.
    [​IMG]

new ultra 600watt powersupply next to non conductive sticky mat i plan on using to mount the circuits inside the case. Top psu will be painted black and mounted externally. Total power between the two 900 watts. I calculated 596 for the entire rig, But this setup up shoudl leave some space for a loss in power efficiency at loads.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

testing a LED string i made.
    [​IMG]

thats all for now its friday night and im going out! Should be plenty of time for moddin this weekend. :cooldude:

12. deadly-app

You expect to use 596 watts?! No way, i say 300-400 max.

13. ridiculous

holy crap man i just re did the calculations on another online calculator and it came out like 133 watts less.

but this guy doesnt show any values for each component does anyone have any experience with this calculator?
    http://www.utcache.com/power.asp

im sketch as hell right now thatsa 22% deviation from the another calc. the other thing is according to ULtra the powersupply i have has a 70% efficiency rating at max load. .7*600 = 420 watts if im doing that correctly IM now thoroughly confused

here are my specs via another calculator http://takaman.jp/D/?M=PcbHQcO5dHhSBgXKhHKTeUIUzVAWfYBYbZAZbvHDwXAOP&english
    can someone help me out a lil?

14. Phaeton

Phaeton What's a Dremel?

I'm sure you know about hard drive failures due to window mods like that, but I would deffinitely steer clear of putting that in a raid array, doing so could cause a lot of unnecessary trouble for you.

15. deadly-app

I would not trust a calculator to sum it up. I Run under 150 watts max load with 2 7200rpm hdd's, 2 40+x cdrw's, A64 3400, and more. Each of my hard drives are around 8 watts. A lot of your stuff might have amperage ratings on them, check it out :)

16. ridiculous

As for the hard drive mod, this drive is not part of the raid. As of now i really dont care if the drive works or not all im hoping for is movement when it receives power. it would def be hella cool if it did work though

i stayed up until the wee hours of the morning to do some more power research my xeons draw 86 watts and my drives draw 12 watts my video cards should come in between 60-70 watts together with that being the bulk of the system i think im ok with one power supply now.

thanks for your help and concerns

17. ridiculous

well i havent posted in a while, mainly because this project has completeley changed. I now have a fatboy chassis and plan on putting two computers, and all of their mods into. Its got space for two motherboards, 16 5.25 drive bays, 4 atx power supplies, and plenty of room for my water cooling. :rock:

until i get a better picturte host heres a couple pictures for your viewing pleasure.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

prepped for paint
    [​IMG]

until the next mod

18. TTmodder

TTmodder Hammertime

where did you get THAT fatboy chassis

19. -Enforcer-5716M4

-Enforcer-5716M4 What's a Dremel?

You are aware that you only need one PSU? 900watts (!) is 400 too much...

20. c.u.later

c.u.later What's a Dremel?

last three pics arent showing for me, would like to see!