1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Imperial College Accommodation Advice

Discussion in 'General' started by RagingMonkey, 7 Jun 2005.

1. RagingMonkey

RagingMonkey What's a Dremel?

I was just wondering if any of you are/have been at Imperial as I need to fill out my application for accommodation and was wondering which halls you would recommend and any I should avoid. I have applied to study EEE so I am looking for one of the London halls of residence.

Thanks a lot

Raging

2. SciGuy

SciGuy What's a Dremel?

hello mate,
    I'm a second year a Imperial studyin med.
    They must have changed the process since I applied, because we weren't given an option of where to stay, just room type, i.e single, shared, ensuite, etc. I got a shared ensuite in Evelyn Gardens.

Basically if you want to be able to roll out of bed at 8.55 and still make 9am lectures I would go for Prince's Gardens. THere are 5 different halls there, the dingiest are Falmouth and Selkirk(known as "Southside"). Infact I think they're being knocked down soon. There's a few others there too, Linstead which is catered, but the food is cr*p. Garden and Weeks are there too, but they're pretty small about 50-60 students each i think. Good thing about the Prince's halls are that the gym, and one of the bar's is down there too.

Then there's Beit Hall. This is the flagship hall, on Prince Consort Road, again basically opposite uni, infact i think the EEE building is right opposite. THey are VERY nice. most rooms are ensuite I think. Advantages: They're built around the student union "Beit Quad" so you can get trashed and stumble into bed. Loads of my mates that lived there were able to skip the queues for the union and walk right in on event nights. Thing is though, you need to vacate your room at easter as Imperial rents them out to conference people. I think u can lock your stuff in the kitchens though.

Then there's halls in Paddington, Wilson House. Nice enough, but a good 25 minute walk to South Ken through Hyde Park.

THen Evelyn Gardens. They're in Chelsea, about a 10 minute walk from campus. Consist of 5 halls. They're basically those old skool 4 storey town houses, that imperial bought and completely renovated into halls. Where I was; Willis Jackson, it was renovated recently and was amazing. All the other evelyn gardens halls were quite sweet too, except Fisher --- avoid. Its a really nice place to live. 300 or so students living in one residential block in chelsea where house prices are £1mill plus. Your neighbours drive Bentleys and Ferraris, and we met Chris Eubank several times. Its right on Fulham Road, so easy to get to town for clubbing etc. It was cool for us meds cos' we had a lot of lectures/tutorials at Chelsea Westminster Hospital round the corner.

Bottom line is you'll enjoy wherever you live. Just depends if its proper "stooodent" style or not. If you're looking for proximity go for Beit. If you want lush surroundings go for something in Evelyn Gardens.
    I've heard they've got some new halls in Chelsea Harbour and Camden but not too sure about them, i.e. open yet etc.

Ohh damm just realised length of the post. Sorry dude.
    Any other qu's jus ask.

3. RagingMonkey

RagingMonkey What's a Dremel?

Oops they haven't changed the system you still don't get to choose where you stay. So maybe next time I should look at all the information I get including the form (but to be fair forms are very scary, will to me they are) before posting. I just assumed I got to choose which one I stayed in, but meh. The halls at Chelsea Harbour and Camden are meant to be open for the start of the 2005/2006 year.

Thanks very much for the information. :thumb:

Raging

4. SciGuy

SciGuy What's a Dremel?

no probs mate.

I would go for an ensuite. Believe me well worth it. Also a room mate isn't always a bad idea. Although I do know of a few guys that didnt get on at all and divided the room with their cupboards. I was lucky like that. On the plus side double rooms are HUGE.

5. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

just FYI, the girls that go to Imperial (and UCL) = t3h h0ttne5s
    Invite me to your freshers events. Esp the schooldisco nite........Oh momma.....

6. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

Mate, just to let you know, when I was applying for uni I asked a mate who was a second year at uni which hall was good, and my uni had the same application process as Imperial, so I rang up the accommodation office and asked if I could apply to a specific hall and they said "can't do any harm to ask" - and I just wrote on the side of the form "If possible can you put me in South Hill" and they did. It's no skin off their nose where they put you so you may as well do the same if you want to get into a specific hall, it did me a LOT of good this year, for a lot of reasons. There's lots of halls at my uni that are miles from campus, but mine is five minutes from campus, lovely rooms, nice atmosphere, and it could have been really rubbish if i'd ended up somewhere else.

The only downside is the massive council estate 2 minutes down the road. I've lost count of the number of chavs I've kicked out of the bar :wallbash: .

AH

7. SciGuy

SciGuy What's a Dremel?

it's all about the medical school's "Doctors and Nurses" night that takes place in the 2nd week of freshers. That is something not to be missed at Imperial. :D

8. WireFrame

WireFrame <b>PermaBanned</b>

I hate you all. And I hate not being a student. Bring on the freshers nurses.