1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Question about ALu and H20

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mjd, 10 Jun 2005.

1. mjd

mjd What's a Dremel?

I am looking at sourcing a suitable container to form the rez in my H20 loop.
    I have found som swanky brushed alu cannisters that would do the business, but know nothing of the effects of putting water and alu together.

Is it likely to cause problems having water inside the cannister without any sort of lining?

2. Ghlargh

Ghlargh What's a Dremel?

Go to the store, buy a can of coke :D

I don't think there would be any problems with just fresh water, but i know salt water is really bad for aluminium.

3. mjd

mjd What's a Dremel?

Jeez - it must be Friday - why didnt I think of it like that! :D

4. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

or just use some of that non-conductive liquid people use?

5. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Because it costs a bomb?

Anyway, people have been using aluminium components (also non-anodized ones) in their watercooling systems for ages. Put in a bit of the usual corrosion inhibitor, and you're fine.

6. Emon

Emon What's a Dremel?

Aluminum and water is just dandy. The problem comes when you mix dissimilar metals in water (happens in air too, but not as fast and they have to be touching really well). If you have aluminum and copper components in the same loop, you tend to get a lot more corrosion. But if you use enough (but not too much or you get performance loss) of a good corrosion inhibitor you should be fine. Especially if the aluminum is anodized, which a lot of prefabed items are. A good anodized aluminum peice would never react with another metal since...it's anodized. It's coated all over with aluminum oxide, which is a ceramic. Actually it's like being thoroughly corroded all over. Aluminum doesn't keep corroding through like iron though.