1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks how do i get around this?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bixie_62, 12 Jun 2005.

1. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

hey all.
    we've got a safecom adsl router, hub, print server thingy at home, and my brothers being an idiot and has only limited my internet to 1 hour a day, this is NOT enough, and reasoning with him does not work.
    i've got a feeling that the router 'recognizes' my computer by either ip address, name or mac address.ive got 3 network cards at my disposal, plus one onboard one, is there anyway that i can change the mac address 'on the fly' so that the router does not recognize me and just let me connect up to the net?
    thank you

2. ConKbot of Doom

ConKbot of Doom Minimodder

Try and do a hard reset on the router... there should be a reset button on the back somewhere. Push that while it is powerd on.

You will probably have to re-configure the router after that though. That would also reset the administrator name and password.

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

or buy a $10 NIC and use that, and hope he doesn't notice.

4. CaseyBlackburn

CaseyBlackburn Network Techie

If you goto the rightclick on my computer>properties>hardware>device manager>network adapters>click on yours>advanced>networkaddress>change the radio to the blank box and type in your new mac address

5. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

i got an idea go and pock your brother in the eye and say i need the internet 24/7 or your'll get it in the eye :rock:

6. CaseyBlackburn

If you still have trouble after following my directions, try one of the other NIC cards.

7. foenix

foenix What's a Dremel?

What Casey said! :thumb: stupid brothers with computer skills..lol
    but yeah, the only way i can think that he is blocking you is by the MAC address, hopefully he wasn't 2 smart and only enabled certain MAC addresses :wallbash:

8. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

hit the hard restart like said when it's powered on. reconfigure. set YOUR user and pass. then turn off router. unscrew case. take dremmel and cut of reset button. screw case back together. :)

That may be a bit extream but eh.. O but i don't know the layout of where things are etc........ but if possable you can go buy an elcheepo router/switch/hub stick it inbetween his router and the modum then run you line secertly from that.. ofcorse that don't work if the router is the modum..

9. CaseyBlackburn

I think resetting is eextreme because what if he doesnt know the settings as they are now, what if its a static ip, what if it requieres a username and password to get internet from the ISP, too many what ifs, so try the simple stuff first. One thing that you should try before you result to resetting the router, switch your network card with his hehehe.

10. woodshop

woodshop UnSeenly

O yea that would do it and be evil about it to.. do it right after your 1hr limit is up that what there is a good chance he can't even access the router admin page for another 23hr.. unless he payes you for some services..

11. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

doing a reset would be obvious after a while? i think he wants a more stealthy method that allows him to access like all the time? So i guess a new NIC or a MAC address change would do the trick.

12. bixie_62

bixie_62 Minimodder

hey dudes, well he's bein all nice and has left it on all day.
    but....i did try, all the NICS that i have in my possession, none seem to get around it, nor does changing the IP address.
    hmm...i know this may be a little 'risque' but...is there anything that can use random numbers to figure out the password? i know that its only numbers and its 6 digits long, and i really dont have the time to sit here and go through all the combinations, only for him to change it again!
    thanx all.
    (arguing with him just makes him pull the lan completely! and its 4mb adsl! soon to be 8mb if the line supports it, my brother kinda likes his bit-torrents!)

Tags: