1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Flight simulators (for PC).

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by thegodsgod, 11 Jun 2005.

1. thegodsgod

thegodsgod What's a Dremel?

Ohh, never posted in this board before.

Anyway. I'm a big fan of the Flight simulator genre, and it would appear that I'm in the minority. I recently acquired a shiny new system, and am now in the market for a shiny new flight sim. The problem it a rather extensive Google search turned up reviews for flight sims from the same period they are based on (think WW2) and not much more.

So the question is, can someone please give me a few names I should have a look at. My preference is for combat oriented sims.

Thanks in advance, for any help you may of may not be able to give me.

2. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

3. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

4. thegodsgod

thegodsgod What's a Dremel?

Thanks.

5. Froggy

Froggy What's a Dremel?

Another vote for xplane. :)

Try landing the space shuttle on a aircraft carrier. :)

6. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

X-Plane is quite good and really takes flight simming to a whole new level (quite literally into space)...
    MS Flightsimulator 2004 is good and you can always join up sites to download new planes, skins etc.

However these simming games also require good equipment to control the game, MS and logitech make decent joys, i prefer logitech though smaller and therefore take up less space, seems to be a bit more accurate? im not sure.

7. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

Well that leaves a few, IL2 Sturmovik, still going strong online and with the expansion packs good fun to fly.

Lock-On modern air combat - you WILL need a high end pc to run this and the learning curve is very steep (still my favorite).

Ignore the MS combat flight sims, they are junk. X-Plane is ok, I still prefer MSFS (my choice ok :D )

Good luck and watch your six

8. ou7blaze

ou7blaze sensational.

How are the MS flight sims junk they are not perfect but they have good and easy to control interfaces with good graphics and physics but with no crash animations...

X-Planes I played before but that was ages and it wasn't that special haven't tried now ... the graphics are not as strong as MS but the physics are supposed to be better and everything is better than MS I guess, but in my opinion both flight sims are decent..

Combat Flight sim is ok ... I haven't played the most recent it wasn't that special though, infact a bit boring but I'm not into WW2 dogfights and stuff.

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

X-plane was pretty crappy when I last looked at it, even though it was a year or two ago. Looking at the site, it's moved on a lot, and i'm downloading it to fly a space-shuttle! :p

(It's very surprising to see that he's going for FAA certification so he can sell it as a training flight-sim, not just a game!). :)

10. DanMcr

DanMcr What's a Dremel?

MS combat flight sims aren't junk at all. There ok, but the problem is once you have played il2/Forgotton Battles/Pacific Fighters, you realise just how unrealistic they are. It all depends what you want in a flightsim i guess. The harder and more realistic the better for me.

11. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Its all about preference. Personally I loved the wwII MS flight sims as they were fun (arcade style) but still had a touch of realism in there....

Its not a flightsim by any means but I love flying the planes in bf942, no realism but its just fun to bomb people from above +)

Tags: