1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding 5" Color lcd for $50CDN

Discussion in 'Modding' started by lcdguy, 13 Jun 2005.

1. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

2. jerb111

jerb111 What's a Dremel?

with reviews such as those i wouldnt bother. dead pixels, crappy veiwing angles, ect. not worth the money IMO

3. Ra1n3

Ra1n3 What's a Dremel?

Can it be put on 12V line and play games,Winamp,OS on 2x monitors?

4. moddenmania

moddenmania What's a Dremel?

listen this is from tiger direct the worst company that you could ever possibly buy from so forget such a good deal come on people do your homework on comapnies then use your common sense don't take a risk buyin from them

5. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

First, I own this display. Its comparable to any other portable LCD TFT screen available. Except for the really good ones that are $500+.

It has composite? (yellow, red, and white) and s-video in. The contrast and color are very good. It runs off 12V so its perfect for fitting into a case.

For 50 bucks, there are those of us who would spend alot more getting a mono LCD with the same resolution mounted into a case.

Now, if your looking for a car LCD, this would not do. Its just too small. There are 7" and 10" models coming down in price that would merit the extra cash. And portable 7" DVD players are finally getting below $100 after rebate.

Lastly, Tigerdirect has only taken alot of crap due to rebate service (not applicable to this product). I deal with them daily on a professional level.They are a fair company. What keeps turning people off is the rebate hasstles (which are sponsored by manufacturer, not by tigerdirect). Tigerdirect only advertises these rebates. So its not thier direct responsibility if the manufacturers take 6 months to pay up.

In conclusion: If you want to buy this LCD as a case mod, then DO IT. Its a decent LCD TFT that doesnt require alot of bullsh (like say the sony LCD that requires soldering and other crap) to get working as long as you have TV out on your vid card. It takes 12V directly from a molex. Plus, its the perfect size, any bigger and you couldnt possibly mount it on the front of a case.

6. dastt

dastt What's a Dremel?

i have never had a problem with tiger direct before, ive dropped propably 1500 there in the past couple years. At one point i was having an RMA issue with DFI and tiger helped me out.

7. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

It's also worth noting that Tiger Direct in Canada is MUCH different from Tiger Direct in the States. While they are technically the same company, I've heard much better things about the Canadian stores. Heck, I might have to stop by the one in Markham tonight and pick up one of these for that price. Running on TV-out means I might not have to configure for dual monitors, which is perfect for planting it in the case.

8. biff

biff What's a Dremel?

I just checked the site... they say that they're no longer available. Too bad, cause for $50 you realy couldnt go wrong.

9. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

Just called them, they're expecting more in on June 17th. I'm so there.

10. Dad

Dad You talkin to me?

I have to agree with Hazzer on this. I also deal with Tiger on a daily bases on both a commercial and personal level and have had absolutely no problems with them at all. Their customer service is fantastic and pre-sales support is one of the best I've delt with. Rebates are NOT handled by Tiger, they are handled by the manufacturer and Tiger is just trying to make the rebate process easier by showing these on their site along with providing all the forms within easy download.

By the way, they are still available in the states:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1423486&Tab=11&NoMapp=0

11. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

i agree on the quality of service from tiger-driect i have bought numrous components from them always with speedy service. If some of you people, have had problems with them in the past thats too bad, but if your griping about rebate issue flam the company that makes said product not the distributor. SO ya i may seriously look in to this.

12. Crazed_climber

Crazed_climber What's a Dremel?

I have also bought alot of stuff from tigerdirect.ca (mobo, case, psu, dvd burner) and they have been great. I would definately recommend them.
    PS: it uses 100W of power so make sure you got a big psu.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2005
  13. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

yep tiger (US) is a great company, never a problem, prices are a bit high at times but they have great service and are fast. saw that lcd screen, but cant justify spending 50$ on such a thing.

14. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

it's $50 CDN not $50 US :) and yea the 100Watts is kinda heavy, maybe theres a way to hook it directly to the 12v as that 100watts come from the included power inverter so you can hok up things like Xboxes, dvd players, etc while in your car :)

15. mod-ern man

mod-ern man What's a Dremel?

Interesting, except the price seems to have gone up to 67.99 now that they know they have a good thing.

16. lcdguy

lcdguy Minimodder

even at 67 it's still less than a psone screen i believe.

17. Bbq.of.DooM

Bbq.of.DooM Custom User Title

I was thinking of getting one.. How easy would it be to mod into a pc? Do I just plug the svideo that came with my video card into the monitor, and the svideo port?

18. Hazer

Hazer In time,you too will be relixalated

I have yet to plug this into a computer (i dont have TV out yet). It has an s-video input and takes any NTSC signal (even from my digital camera).

The 100W is the rating for the car DC->AC inverter. The actual screen only takes ~2Amps, so it draws 24watts. A HDD draws more.

Ive taken this thing apart. The actual screen inside is roughly the size of 2 5.25" bays. There are 3 buttons for menu controls on a seperate PCB for adjusting brightness and color values. This PCB also has the audio parts and the output to the speakers.

The resolution of the LCD is 960x240 (or 320RGBx240). How well this works with a video cards TV out depends on the card. But to be honest, the LCD works with anything Ive plugged into it (DVD player, MP3 player, camera, PS2, dreamcast, etc.). I dont see why it would not work with a PC.

The nice thing here is that it HAS the inputs on it. The PSone screen you have to solder your own connections for video and power(?).

I bought it because I wanted to see what kind of ICs were used for NTSC -> digital LCD conversion they used. But it also has the great potential of a very easy mod for a case.

Again, take it or leave it.

19. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

I just bought one of these for $60 CDN in-store, and I am flabbergasted that not only are they that cheap, but apparently no one is buying them. They're really high quality (even the sound), and I checked the booklet and it even runs off a 12V DC input. Hey, isn't that exactly what my power supply outputs? I believe it is!

Seriously, any Canadians who are debating putting an LCD screen in their computer should immediately go and get one of these. I might go get another one so I can put my Playstation in my car. The car inverter allows you to run both the screen and any other 110v AC device like a game system or DVD player.

20. Ra1n3

Ra1n3 What's a Dremel?

Will it fit to 2x 5,25" bays?