1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

project: AlumaxX (Dutch champion casemodding 2006! )

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Franklin, 28 Dec 2004.

1. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I'm preparing everything for the hoses now. Made two, how should I call them, hose seperators.

[​IMG]

The one with the four holes will be placed over the hoses that go in and out the graphiccardcooler. This seperator will keep the cards in place, also when there is some tension on them by yhe hoses.

[​IMG]

The smaller one with the three holes will be placed with some spacers in this place.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Sep 2005
  2. BlaCK ErrOR

BlaCK ErrOR What's a Dremel?

good work ! this mod look great :eek:

3. Bum

Bum What's a Dremel?

Seperators to relieve possible strain. That sort of forethought and attention to detail is what put your work a step above. It is inspiring to see. :dremel: :thumb:

4. popwar

popwar What's a Dremel?

i am a noob who has just discovered the art of modding, and your project has really inspired me to actually try to get into it. My favorite type of mod is one that is clean, simple, and sticks true to a certain theme throughout the project. You have fulfilled such characteristics and yet manage to create a certain vibrance and excitement about your case that is lacking in others.

5. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Thanks for watching my MOD and all your great responses.

@popwar: Thanks for your big compliment. I started with a Lian because of its quality and simplicity. I think one should not make a circus of such a beautiful case by adding all kind of stuff just for the sake of adding something. Just keep it in the spirit of the original case.

Getting someone to mod is the biggest compliment a modder can get in my opinion. Your post gives me a big :D on my face

A few photographs to give a better idea of where the seperators will end up in the case. The last pictures were also kind of blurry I noticed.

[​IMG]

On the left three hoses will enter the aluminium plate and that's where the first seperator will be placed. It wil be mounted on spacers just as the acrylic on the harddiskrack, a few millimeters from the aluminium.

The small bolts that are visible just in front of the pumphousing, these

[​IMG]

will not be visible after the pumphousing has been mounted. These bolts and the little hole ( was a hole from the original compartmentseperator ) will be placed excactly under the aluminium frame the pumphousing is standing on.

Last edited: 3 Sep 2005
  6. Who_me_33

Who_me_33 What's a Dremel?

Very nice mod, subscribed. with the strain relivers, where did you get the idea from.

7. popwar

popwar What's a Dremel?

hehe you deserved the compliment. anyways, keep the updates coming! ive been checking this thread everyday and it only gets better. do you feel like you are near the end? and also, as someone who has never watercooled a setup, i was wondering if you had any suggestions? as soon as i get the money i will buy some wc stuff and see what happens, but at the moment i just bought a cm stacker case, and have a silverstone zeus 650 watt, amd 64 4000+, 1 gig corsair xms, asus a8n-sli deluxe, and am saving up for the upcoming 7800gtx. Although it is embarassing to admit, i am sort of scared of watercooling. Tips, tricks, anything?

Last edited: 19 Jun 2005
  8. [ShoNuff]

[ShoNuff] Minimodder

Franklin your acrylic work is awesome. I especially like what you did with the front of the case. :thumb:

9. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I think my mod is done for about 50 percent now. Most work will be polishing all the aluminium. Cables and hoses will have to be managed and a lot of detail work has to be done. Most of these things take up a lot of time, even more then all the metal and acrylic work I did untill now.

About the watercooling you want. Just read everything you can find on the internet. Read project logs from CIP's that use the same hardware that you have. Search for companies that sell the watercooling stuff. If you have specific questions about something, just send pm's.

10. xel

xel What's a Dremel?

I think you should turn the sli-chip to use both graphic cards :p

it is just an idea :hehe:

@ the mod:

It's the best mod i've ever seen and i just want to start a new project but i have not enough money to purchase all the hardware :waah:

i like the style and the professional work you have done yet :thumb:

sorry for my english

11. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I know it's in single mode. But thanks for reminding me :D

12. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

those acrylic pieces make it look alot cleaner :D i might have to do something like that for my rig :D

your work is really good, keep it up

13. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

Those acrylic pieces allow me to 'guide' the hoses. A lot of work to make all the seperators, but in the and it will look great I think.
    I drilled holes for the hoses all day. Because 16 mm. is to big a hole to drill in one time, I had to drill it in 3 steps. First 8 mm. second 12 mm. and last 16 mm.

The last thing I will have to do now is dremel two areas for a hose to come through. In this two places the hose doesn't go straight in, so a simpel round drilled hole isn't good enough. It will be more like an oval.

Today I had another idea on how to let those two hoses come out of the case for draining the system. The case has a curved corner so it will not be possible to attach a fitting in that place. I didn't want two ordinary hoses hanging out at the back of the case. I will post some pictures of the solution as soon as possible.

14. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I had to adapt the housing from the second PSU so that it can have the same cover as the first one. The acrylic is ready to be bent.

[​IMG]

The PSU on the right will be mounted upside down and just above the left one.

I started working on my plans for the draining system.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will be alot smaller when it is finished. The sides will follow the curved corner of the case. I hope I can get the chloroform at the chemist to attach the acrylic parts to each other.

15. ebola_one

ebola_one What's a Dremel?

Why are the "hose guides" not done in green plexi? are the clear ones just temporary ones so it doesn't matter if they get scratched?

Only 50% through!? damn! that means we can look forward to at least another ~20 pages? w00t!

16. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

I will keep the clear acrylic for the hoses. Don't want to use too much UV reactive green and b.t.w. the water will be uv reactive green. It looks better in combination with clear acrylic seperators.

17. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Actually, the clear choice is better IMO, as with the hoses it will look amazing, as the UV will glow onto the Clear, making them look eary and perfect :D, they also look clearer imo

liking the looks of that draining system

18. MeanMachine

MeanMachine What's a Dremel?

I also have those self made hose seperators in white acrylic :baby:

If you sand down the edges they wil give a nice glow if you have a ccfl in you're case, it gives a realy nice effect :dremel:

19. Franklin

Franklin Minimodder

A small update. I did a lot of work the last days, but most of it isn't anything that I can show with nice pictures. The aluminium sheets that cover all cables on the back are complete now.

[​IMG]

The two holes are for some hoses and the little gap between the aluminium and the pumphousing will not be there after I have tightened the bolts that hold the pumphousing in place.

The second PSU has also the acrylic cover now. The fangrill on the bottom will be replaced by an chrome fangrill like the PSU at the top.

[​IMG]

Because The second PSU was added I had to make some changes in the original plans. Most changes were needed in the plannings for the hoses, because the pump had to be placed in another place as planned. I solved the problem with the outtake from the pump now and it only just fits.

[​IMG]

and the PSU's from another angle

[​IMG]

I will have to decide what I'm going to do with the cables from the second PSU, how I will manage them. I have got some ideas about it, but I will take the decision next week.

I have drilled a lot of holes for the hoses and in the next photograph you can see some of them. The most difficult ones were those that are not round but oval. The hose doesn't come in and out in a 90 degree angle in this places.

[​IMG]

I almost have all the stuff now to complete the mod. It will not be visible but I will sleeve most of the cables with UV reactive green sleevings. The only thing I need to find and buy are these fittings for the draininghoses that will come in the bottom of the case at the backside.

[​IMG]

I can buy those in Germany, but search for them in Holland first. They would just be perfect for this mod. I can seal the ends with the sealing nuts that I have left over from the Innovatek reservoirs and when I need to drain the system I just replace them by two hosefittings with a few inches of hose.

20. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

I want your skills! (and your money..) :p

looks amazing!