1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by smoguzbenjamin, 20 Jun 2005.

1. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

Ey all,

My dad just decided to give me €50 extra summer holidays cash for buying ice-creams and whatnot, however my PC is suffering from the heat of summer more than me(even in Holland :p). Therefore I want to get myself a new CPU HSF because the stock AMD64 'sink is noisy and spinning up to around 3500RPM and still gets hot.

So I've been shopping around for a not-too-expensive new cooling solution which cools my PC down without being so bloody noisy, and I've found the Zalman CNPS7000 series does well, and with the AlCu version being 10 euros cheaper than the pure Cu one, and being a bit lighter, I think 30 euros for it sounds like an OK deal. However googling for reviews is only bringing up etailers who are just reciting what it says on the Zalman website.

Does anyone have any prior experience with these coolers? Are they any good, and (more importantly) are they quiet? I really hate playing games and getting distracted by the whirr of my fans :D Who has one of these and fancies sharing his/her experiences?

2. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

They are both very good and very quiet. Even on hot summer days, my Athlon XP at nearly 2.2 Ghz runs at only 52* Celcius :)

3. smoguzbenjamin

Hmm sexeh, my 2800+ (1.8GHz) goes up to +/- 50C on a cold winter's day and in some cases actually seems to throttle down and sometimes even crash :worried: That, and it was noisy as hell doing that too. However I was wondering, can't you just plug the fan straight into your motherboard and have that change the speed in accordance to temperature? That would save me installing yet another pot in the back of my PC.

4. adam197

adam197 What's a Dremel?

I have the pure copper version on my 3700 san diego, running at 44oC at 1800rpm. I highly recommend it, its very quiet, but i doubt there would be much difference between the alcu version, which is cheaper and also alot lighter.

You can just plug it into the cpu fan connection on the mobo, and with c&q it should adjust in theory. Imo it cools well enough to have at low settings all the time.

5. Scorpsel

Scorpsel Imaginary Time

I got it on the same cpu as you have, and it's running at around 30 celcius most of the time. It comes with its own speed controller. I got it at Vobis for 30 euros, so if you have one of those near you get it there, saves you some shipping and allows you to buy a couple of icecreams ;)

6. NoCoolOnesLeft

NoCoolOnesLeft What's a Dremel?

I have the all copper version, it's pretty quiet, and nice.

7. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

Definitely get the AlCu version, the copper will soak up the heat off the die better, and the aluminum will dissipate it better than pure copper. Your CPU might rune a degree or two colder, and for 10 euros cheaper, there's no reason why not.

8. smoguzbenjamin

Alright, cool! (no pun intended ;)) I'm off to the local mycom store then as soon as my dad wires the money over (fork it over, pa :D). Now I can show off even more, the stock HSF was kinda square... in both ways :D

9. *mat-ster*

*mat-ster* What's a Dremel?

10. smoguzbenjamin

Cool, I doubt the 120mm version will fit my PC, I just don't think there's enough room, however a 92mm version should be fine, my mobo is listed as being compatible so no problems there. I'm going on holiday in a week's time though so I'll prolly get it afterwards.

Cheers for the advice, lads.

11. TMM

TMM Modder

Although i like the Zalmans and there is nothign wrong with them (i have two 7000A-cus come to think of it :p), I would go for an XP-90C or XP-120 with a low speed panaflo if either fits your motherboard since it should cool better and its easier to replace the fan if it breaks (but it shouldn't being a good quality panaflo ;))

i get 48-51*c full load running Prime95 @ 1.6v, 2.6ghz with an XP-120 and low speed panaflo. Ambient temp is 20-25*c ...... And above all, thats with an older Neo2 bios that reports wrong (higher) temps :D

12. lian-li-modder

lian-li-modder What's a Dremel?

(sorry for my bad english i hope you can read it :D )
    I have the 7000-cu it ceeps my intel celeron 2.55Ghz @ 3.2Ghz at a temprature of 41 degrees. i have 3 120mm fans in my case. 1front 2back 1powersupply. These 3 fans running @ 1000Rpm and the 7000CU @ 1300Rpm. The only thing i heare is my harddrives. I hope i helpet you!

13. smoguzbenjamin

That's a pretty sexy overclock :thumb: I looked at the thermalright coolers but I can't get em locally over the counter, whereas the Zalman cooler is easy for me to get. :)