1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Gremlin

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by frodo, 21 Jun 2005.

1. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Hi all, i thought id finally post my work in progress mod

its based on a U2-UFO (its been done before, but i like the case)

the plan is to make a very clean, quiet and good looking machine

the specs of the rig are in my sig

this is cooled by:

2x 120mm BIP's - Until i order the XSPC 3x120mm
    1x Hydor L20 - nice n' quiet
    1x Asetek reservoir - does the job, what more do i need?
    1x Antartica CPU block (30c @ 2.5ghz is kind of sexy, cant argue)
    1x Asetek GPU block (36c Load is nice)
    manky tubing - until i order some new stuff

the pictures shown here are all of it in its "temporary state" its very messy at the moment, due to lack of patience (hey i wanted to get this new rig going so i could start playing BF2!)

[​IMG]

the picture above is the case posing naked :blush: and i like it due to its potential!

[​IMG]

^ the back of the case naked :blush: shows how large the 120mm fan is :D very good for keeping the nf4 cool ;)

[​IMG]

^ £70's worth of modding gear, covering my bed!

[​IMG]

^ some lighting tests, the cathode has been ditched for 3 more lazer leds (3x 3 leds) and the fan on the lower right has got another lazer led, its alot of wiring :( which is annoying, but should look good in the end

[​IMG]

^showing the mess that is the fan area during tests, very messy, but shows the effect, the idea is to make an acrylic shroud that will cover ALL of the front, and cover all the nasty wiring and fans/rad, and also act as a good way to make it look that bit cleaner :D

[​IMG]

^ the pc side in its current state, looks clean compared to how it looked before i got off my arse and did some wire routing, i really want to shorten the motherboard tray, as the tagan 480w's ATX lead isnt that long, and am kind of stretching it, i plan on making an acrylic "wall" between the 2 sections, which will aid in cleanliness.

[​IMG]

^ the front of the case with the rads installed, relatively clean, but will be much cleaner with a single 120:3 xspc rad

[​IMG]

^ the front of the case at the moment, the floppy drive will have some work done on it (involving bondo and a very shiny paintjob) although the pic doesnt show it, those drives are VERY shiny (the dvd-rw and cd-rw)

above the drives will be one of my 2x40 LCD's behind some tinted black acrylic, so the LCD can only be seen when its on :D

[​IMG]

^ shows the wiring mess on the pump side, need to do something about that, and make a bracket for the pump! as atm its just resting there (same as the res)

[​IMG]

^ slightly different angle to above, but shows the wiring around the PSU, and what a mess it is indeed! ive got plans involving acrylic and alot of wiring

[​IMG]

^ an overall pic as the case stands today

most likely going to order the watercooling stuff tomorrow, which is 5m of clear tubing, 1x 120:3 XSPC rad, 1x XSPC Reservoir (the cool one which is like a big heatsink! in black - wish i could get green :()

that should come to about £100, which is nothing compared to how much ive been spending on this rig :(

Hope you all like, plus gimme some suggestions on some really cool things i should do to make this mod amazing!

edit: incase anyone was wondering, the reason im calling this mod is because of my cousin, when he was born he looked like a gremlin, we still call him that, and also due to the fact this case will be rather gremlin/goolish in the end :D

plus, if he ever asks i can say i named a case mod after him ;) respect!

Last edited: 21 Jun 2005
  2. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Hi all

A quick update:

tomorrow - when my dad gets back from work im going to order

[​IMG]

^ an XSPC Reservoir, i love the looks of it

[​IMG]

^ an XSPC R120-T Crossflow radiator

A ton of 10mm Compression bulkhead fitments - although im using pushfit elsewhere i cant find pushfit bulkheads on www.watercoolingshop.com

about 10m of 10mm od tubing

3. dubya01

dubya01 What's a Dremel?

OMG LOOK AT ALL THOSE FANS :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

4. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

:D got to keep the air flowing ;)

ive decided to get the normal version of the R120T, instead of the crossflow, as it will make it a bit neater in the case

i think im just going to order some of these

[​IMG]

and use bondo to make them smooth, so i can mount them in the panels (with some more car body filler :D)

the aim is to make the PC side of the case VERY clean and smooth, with the other side just being the "business" side of things, with the pump in it, and also the tube routing

the reservoir will be mounted on a plexi panel (the panel that will divide the case in half) with the barbs going through to the "business" side

5. striker289

striker289 What's a Dremel?

you should paint "got fans" on the side LOL awsome mod so far!!!

6. venomz

venomz What's a Dremel?

7. Stuntman

Stuntman Minimodder

damn.... thats more fans than I have in my entire collection of broken/working/old fans! How loud are they!?

8. Zero82z

Zero82z What's a Dremel?

Looking good frodo. Also, wiring for mobo=good, wiring for pump=bad ;).

9. speX

speX What's a Dremel?

cool case :D:D:D i saw one of those cases in a store once... IT WAS FREAKING $700!!! (canadian) just wondering... wat makes these things so expensive.....

10. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Errmmm what makes them so expensive - well for starts the material

the worksmanship is top notch
    the layout is AMAZING

i was planning on making my own cube, but the materials alone wouldve cost £150, and i got this 2nd hand for £130 off of another forum

im not sure if www.watercoolingshop.com sell to the US

wiring on the pump side will be totally re-done, and will be ALOT neater

im debating killing the warrenty on my tagan 480w and just sleeving all the wires, which would make it alot neater, or keeping the warrenty by basically making a box, that all the original wires go into, and then make the wires go out to the pc etc

ahh screw it, i need to check up on tagans 36month warrenty, see what it covers, see what it doesnt, if it says "do not modify wiring" i will say screw it and do it anyways! if i custom'd the wiring the business side would be FAR neater, as i wouldnt have loadsa excess wiring

the "got fans" idea could work out quite well ;)

im most likely going to get this covered in vinyl (outside) as i dont want to paint it (scared + cost) and i know someone who works @ a sign maker, so i can buy some bulk of the sheet, then just cover the case with it (im thinking mmm green!) the insides will be covered in foam (if i ever find it :S)

mainly alot of wiring and neatening of things to do

the pump ATM is just going straight to the mains, as my pc is on 24/7, hey it just means less arcing in the motor due to on/off operation! :D

need to go get some acrylic from B&Q, then i can start work on the box's for things and what not

"how loud are they" not very, and once they are on the fan controller they will be silent

believe it or not, this whole case makes LESS NOISE than my acrylic case with just 5 fans in it :S think i need to put them @ 7v as its just annoying, then again, depends if i can be bothered, as my 2nd rig is going to another home

another home = more money for me = more modding for this = better results

wow, lots of =!

11. MrMan

MrMan What's a Dremel?

My God that alot of fan seems you could do with some cables ties or something :D good luck anyway

12. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

hi mate, although you cant see it in the pics, 1000's of innocent zipties have already been brutally murdered!, ill try and get a picture of the cables going from the back of the case to the front

ohh, the reason there are SO many cables, each fan has its own lighting circuit :S each 120mm has 2x lazer led's (so 3 seperate wires in total)

each 80mm has its own seperate LED lighting (so 2 wires in total), add that all up and you get ALOT of wiring to sort out and solder :S especially in this heat :(

none of the wiring will be visibile when im done, will all be hidden behind acrylic, and the visible parts will be sleeved with UV green... sleeving :D

had some thoughts last night, while i couldnt sleep due to the heat, thought about how i can make the middle divider VERY cool

[​IMG]

^ my plans for the PC side of the case

13. Snowshadow

Snowshadow What's a Dremel?

Yup cube cases can get expensive to build depending on the size and material. It looks like you are making use of every inch of space in that case along with adding a few modifications to it of your own.

14. Rufus-Seal

Rufus-Seal Guest

Very awesome!!!! But who so much fans? What are the specs of the fans? (db cfm etc.) But that will make a LOT of noise:|

15. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Actually, as ive mentioned, the noise isnt loud, its quieter then my dads pc which has 2 fans in

i dont know the specs of the fan, they are just dirt cheap ones from ebuyer, i bought 10x 120mm blue led ones, have taken the LED strips off, and using 10x lazer leds put 2 lazer leds on either side of the 120mm's on the front, the 80mm's are very quiet, and have their own LED strip, as i could find green ones, i bought them, shame ebuyer didnt have green 120mm led fans (bar the expensive akasa ones - they are like £8 each, where as these cheap ones were £0.89!)

they will be much quieter once i get off my arse and wire up my fan controller (just need to mod the 3 pin plugs etc etc)

going to make the front LCD/Floppy/Fan controller all combined, to provide a neat look :D aswell aswell as get them all into one unit!

need to goto B&Q and get one of their dremel clones, they come with a flexi shaft and are about £30, which is great :D ill also get some acrylic, some mesh and a ton of nuts + bolts :D

"but why so many fans?" because think about it, why have say 2 fans going super high RPM pushing a small amount of air, when you can have 9 fans going relatively slowly pushing a LARGE volume of air! plus it adds alot of cooling!

16. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

Wow that looks great! I like the green light it gives off. :thumb:

Do you seriously need all those fans? :jawdrop:

17. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

where there are holes for fans, fans there shall be :D

Do i seriously need a fast pc? do i seriously need watercooling? do i seriously need about 20gb of music, not really, but i have it because i like it :D and im odd

18. Cowinacape

Cowinacape What's a Dremel?

Ahh, a man after :rock: :rock: my own heart, huge box, and a ton oh fans! what's not to love looking forward to seeing your progress on this project.... great looking res you posted there as well!

19. retrogamer

retrogamer What's a Dremel?

I saw the pic of the moddin stuff and had to post....

HOLY COW THATS ALOTTA FANS!

Thats hella cool! Good luck! :D

Retro

20. frodo

frodo What's a Dremel?

Yaha, going to order the res and rad in a minute :D

then im going to get off my behind and goto B&Q and finally get some acrylic and some bolts, then i can start making the rad'box's and what not, as well as the divider

the main aim is just to make a quiet, fully functioning rig... that looks damn sexy at the same time!

it will never compare to the god of modders like defyant, xariq, sk4mpi and many others, but i would like to get it near their work :D

yeah, alot of fans, needed to order tons to fit into other cases and what not, plus i like airflow :D