1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Need a new card...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Potato, 14 Jun 2005.

1. Potato

Potato What's a Dremel?

Okay guys, I want to know from the pros, which card should I get if I have a budget of 300-400 dollars. Thanks in advance.

2. Florian

Florian Minimodder

At this time I'd wait for the new cards (G70, R520) to come out. Even if you can't afford those, older cards should drop even more.

3. firestarter03

firestarter03 What's a Dremel?

Or if you want one now, I would go for a 6800GT. Or get a 6600GT if you don't want to stretch that far.

4. Potato

Potato What's a Dremel?

I was looking at the 6800GT and thought it looked nice but I probably will wait for the next generation of cards before I buy one.

5. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

wait for the 7800GT/7600GT. Or will it be the 7600GTX - you know what i mean anyway.

6. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

when will them new cards come out?

7. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

the new geforce series (g70) will be offically announced in a couple of days. but the actuall goods wont make it to the shops in their masses for a while - 2 or 3 weeks i'm thinking.

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

you are in for a surprise. ;)

9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

I'm so glad i've waited for this series, though i bet none of them will be agp'd :/

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yep. They made up G70 and R520. They've been marketing a load of BS and both ATI and nVidia have longsince known that it's against the laws of existance to put more than 16 pipelines in a single chip.

Regardless, they shouldn't be converted to AGP. If you're going to spend the probably $600 these things will cost when they're first out, you can afford a PCIE mobo.

11. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

probibly gonna sound daft as here but..

will a AGP version of the new cards be as good as one PCI-E version?

12. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: The bandwidth offered by AGP8x shouldn't limit a high clocked 24pipe card, if indeed that's what the newest ATi & nVidia cards end up being. Rumour is they could make use of system memory on PCI-E version due to the very fast 2-way interconnect but I seriously doubt you'd be looking at any remotely significant perf hit for one of these cards in AGP form. I would expect ATi & nVidia to continue releasing AGP alongside PCI-E at least for the rest of this year, AGP choices may become more limiting as we get into 2007 but by then people will most likely be wanting the new AMD & Intel socket mobos anyway and PCI-E will easily be the common and dominant standard. That's how I see it all anyway.

:naughty: I would expect nVidia to get these out really quick and close to their release prices ... if only to stick it to ATi for their PE (Phatom Edition) cards as well as their mis-priced and slow releases such as the X800XL (which is now very well priced and very much available BTW).

13. scaryperson27

scaryperson27 What's a Dremel?

Yeah if i were you instead of hoping to get a 7800 in agp i would upgrade your mobo or mobo and Cpu and go with a pci-e 6800Nm or 6800GT heck even a 6800 GTO. The reason being for transfering is let's say you want a new mobo but you waisted all that money on a agp card which will bottleneck you from getting that pci card and CPU unless your just rich. $!$!$!$!$!

For now i would get somthing like this
    http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZelsinoreQ5flover

/\ 9800pro look! get a new one. Reserve is $90

Tags: