1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can I get 2.6ghz out of a 2500xpm on air? Shal I upgrade to a LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by FIBRE+, 20 Jun 2005.

1. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Ive just bought some OCZ Platinum Revision 2 (DDR 400, 2x512) and Im considering changing my mobo to a LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B , mainly because of the extra voltage on the cpu and ram aswel as the 4x sata ports.

How many volts will my cpu need for 2.6ghz and can that cpu safely take it? I presume it can but just wanna check :)

2. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

i would say your wasting your time trying to get like 700mhz extra out of your cpu for about £50+ your better off saving an extra £50 then lessing your stuff and moving to a64.

it's not certain either. it might not help Oc your cpu and ram at all... stick with it untill you want to upgrad your cpu and mobo...

3. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

well I was considering one mainly for the 4 sata ports at first and would like to be able to crank me ram up a bit. Wont be going A64 till next year so I wanna get this system sorted, and just fancied arsing around with overclocking a bit more.

If I were to go A64 i would be buying pretty much the whole rig, so it wont be cheap :sigh:

Il have a think about it :)

4. adfinni

adfinni What's a Dremel?

Hello there

1st post :clap: :clap:

By buying the DFI lanparty your rig will probably become more unstable for everyday use because of the nature of the DFI boards, and the extra 100Mhz isn't worth it. You already have an excellent overclock for the A7N8X, and if you really want to upgrade then i would recommend a 3000 or 3200 venice with a DFI NF4 mobo.

Check my sig and u'l see that im pretty much at the limit of the xp-m system, and i am possibly going to a venice/DFI setup as my recently purchased X800XT cannot perform to its full potential. Plus i want to whack over 3.6V into my bh-5 to see how far it really goes :D

But most importantly, if you rig does what you want it to do, then there's no point in upgrading.

hope that helped

Ad

5. TMM

TMM Modder

i agree with other replys. Just keep saving and upgrade to A64.

theres no point buying a new mobo in the hope of getting another 75mhz. And to answer your question, 2.0v should be safe enough on an AthlonXP aslong as you can cool it off (<50*c load temp)

6. webbyman

webbyman Hax.

the money you will make from selling your second hand mobo and cpu + about £50-70 what you would be spending on the mobo would get you a second hand 3200+ s939 a64 and an a8v or something to go with it so why not sepnd an extra £20? :worried: :worried: :worried: is it me or are you strange :worried:
    it's more than worth it.. trust me :D

7. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Hmm, this may change things a bit... My Asus board has died :waah: , long story short a power surge from (not so great) psu killed it (not the overclocking), I need to find the invoice for it to see if I can still RMA it. By the way I wasnt just after the DFI just to overclock an extra 100mhz, it was for the 4xsata ports, extra ram voltage and cpu overclockability. As I said if im going A64 its gonna be nearly the whole system, I cant be bothered to get a low end A64 as I dont want to upgrade it until the whole system needs raplacing....

DFI Lanparty nF4 SLI-DR PCI-E (Socket 939)

Athlon 64 3700+ Diego

Thermalright Xp120

Geforce 6800 GT or above (Pci-E)

Enermax/Tagan/Ocz 500w or above psu

etc...

Im gonna be spending 600-1000 but wont be buying till late this year as i want to be clear of my two student overdrafts (almost 3grand total). I will more than likely be keeping my current system after I buy this new one as It will probably turn into a media setup...

afinni, why will the DFI board make my pc unstable? My current system crashes extremely rarely (cant even remember last time) and my temperatures are pretty safe (sig).

Anyways enough of my rambling. What I think il do is go for the DFI but see if I can get it for free instead of a replacement Asus, I will leave the overclock at 2.5ghz but see what I can safely get out of me new ram @ 2225. Sorry for arguing to get the DFI but I kinda made my mind up shortly after posting :p , thanks for the advice :D

Oh and webbyman, I am strange, but not in a wierdo way :D

8. scaryperson27

scaryperson27 What's a Dremel?

im probabley going to be selling my barton 2600+ and nf-7s in about less than a month if your interested. Instead of overclocking the 2500, why dont you lower the multi and overclock the ram instead? That will boast a more stable and effective overclock.

9. adfinni

adfinni What's a Dremel?

I didn't mean it will be permanently unstable, but it will require a lot of tweaking to get it setup properly at overclocked settings. DFI boards also have cold boot issues. My A7N8X was more stable than my DFI (even with a mild overclock), but with my DFI atm i still get some cold boot issues, plus it took me an age to setup. But i love my infinity to bits :D

A DFI board with a highly clocked cpu and memory will realistically take over a month to fully tweak because of the many different timings and selections possible in the BIOS.

But as they are a proper overclockers board, then most people will be pushing the board to its limit, and will never be happy unless they can squeeze more speed out of it.

As you said your building a new rig at the end of the year, then the ATI R520 will be coming out full flow, and dual core A64's may look more appetising.

Edit: just seen that your A7N8X died :duh: , and if you can't RMA it then i recommend the DFI NFII Infinity Ultra, as its cheaper then the LanParty that only has the Gigabit Lan and UV coloured parts as extras over the infinity.

10. PaulW

PaulW What's a Dremel?

to be fair I'm also looking at gettin an Athlon 64 now due to problems with my DFI board (completely fubared IDE controller due to a firmware flash for my DVD drive which went wrong :( )

I managed to get 215x12 (2580MHz, or 2.6GHz if you round it up...) from my 2600+XP-M on air-cooling... (using a £12 CopperStorm-2 Cooler) This was also PRIME Stable & would run (load) at about 44C, or Idle of 32C (ambient temp of 22C))

I am going to be phase-cooling & watercooling my next PC, I was originally going to do it to the XP-M chip, but to be honest, its getting a bit slow now, even if clocked up & as I'm doing more & more 3d rendering & video/audio editing, I need the extra memory bandwidth which I can only get from the A64...