1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress £10.99 Case mods

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by sock58, 6 Jun 2008.

1. sock58

sock58 Budget mods

First thing, this was originally started over on another site, so meh, I thought I would chuck it up on here.

Its a build im doing for a site where we are having a little competition, should be good to see some of the other results.

Im literally copying and pasting my work across, so pardon if it seems a little jumbled.

My Build Log For WCUK Modding Competition.

I probably should have started this off from the start of the build, BUT, some of you know me and you know I never do that. XD

Im too lazy.

Anyways. This is what I have been doing:

These are literally ALL of the tools I have to use. So this is going to be my hand crafted mod me thinks. To top things off, my favourite file broke too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I went about this in one weird order of things, simply due to my idea and technique finding abilities. :S

Chopped out the side of the main frame

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marked up on the front where I will be cutting for the rad.

[​IMG]

Did some cutting to the mobo tray (cant forget safety glasses )

[​IMG]

Some tidying left to be done

[​IMG]

Then after removing the rivets on the case ( they were small rivets and I only own 4/6mm rivets, so on that note, I just re-drilled all of the holes out to this size, meaning a load of old rivets are now a permanent fixture on my drill bit ) ROFL!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next bit was to cut out the front for the rad after it was marked out.

[​IMG]

Started to fill my bin with scrap metal.

[​IMG]

Then I moved on to making my acrylic front for this project.

Cut it out, then made the primary cut for the drive bay area, I still have a little thing to do to this, which I think will make this mod look great and then finishing touches (finishing it up, tidying edges etc).

[​IMG]

I then had to stop doing this, as I had to do a move. I thought, RIGHT, I need space, out to my shed I go. So i took out my unit ( threw it down the stairs and out the door then dragged it round) to the shed and propped up my old wallpapering table for some extra space. Rigged up some extension leads and stole the lamp from the living room.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Im going to hopefully get on with some more today. So all being well, I shall do an update asap.

UPDATE TIME!!!!

Did some shizzle todays, lmfao,

First off, bought me a new file, as you know, my last one broke, so i bought a BEEFY one!!!

HOO YAR!!

[​IMG]

Then mainly did some filing through the day, did the mobo tray (decided to make it square edges instead of round ):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i put some nice new rivets in it to make it all lovely and strong again :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then i rearranged the pump mount (made a new one from some scraps) :

[​IMG]

Redid the front of the case, making way for the rad, thought i would neaten it up and get rid of the chunky bits, now there is no support at all so think i may buy some tube steel to slap in there, i think it needs it quite badly now. :

[​IMG]

Finished the front cover to the extent where i can now test fit it (its all nicely fitting, and thats masking tape on the top and sides, not chunk missing XD ):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a sneaky peak as to what i plan on doing to the top:

[​IMG]

Cheers guys.

Another Update

So, this is what I managed to do today.

First of all, I have something to say, needle file + slippage = PAIN!!!

[​IMG]

Right, to the work of today, first off, I decided to make a window on the top, dont ask me why but hey, I though it would work well with the acrylic iv put in there.

[​IMG]

Then had to think about something to do for a side panel design, and in the end i managed to come up with this.:

The desgin drawn on the back

[​IMG]

All done

[​IMG]

Id like to mention that ALL of this was done with only a jigsaw and a set of file, hence why my wrist is now dead. :(

This is a little mock up of what iv done so far :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND, whilst just being sat here i have come up with a great idea for the top of the case, which means a hell of a lot more work for me tomorrow. oh well, better than college work i suppose. :p

Cheers for looking guys, I'll update after another bit of work tomorrow.

2. MoRBiD

MoRBiD Member

kool stuff mate!

3. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

makes me ashamed of what I've accomplished. lol great job.

4. tominated

tominated New Member

that is so sweet...

5. b1g-d0g

b1g-d0g Well-Known Member

Nice job mate,blood looks fake :D j/k

6. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

I like the air scoop out of the top! Oh and yes I agree about the blood looking fake.

7. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

looks like red paint to me, and nice to join us socks :p 3 worklogs from the compo on here now, mine one of them :)

8. sock58

sock58 Budget mods

I hear rumour that you have some White Sleeving?!?!?!?!?!?!

What size, you got heat shrink with it and how much?!

And about it looking like paint, I can hardly afford to buy tools for this build, you honestly think i would waste money on paint?!? ROFL!!

9. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Nice work Sock. I like purple :thumb:

10. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

yer i have 30m of it here, no heat shrink bout you can pick it up cheap from rapid :) if you look in the black zipper log (link in sig) you can see it

11. pksjaveed

pksjaveed Nmodz: modding the world

awsome specially like how you got purple acrylic dont see many of those around

12. nagyizom

nagyizom Member

Good work so far, I'm looking foward to see the next update

13. sock58

sock58 Budget mods

UPDATE

Due to being occupied, I havent got much done, but here is something that i have done ..

First thing i wanted to do was cut out the area for my rad (im not going to use a rad grill for this one as im cheap!!

I made myself a template out of some clear acrylic as i thought it would be the best way to get a completely accurate measuring of the holes and the size of the area i would need to cut out.

So once making this template, I rivetted it to the front panel, making sure it was all aligned properly and in the correct place.

[​IMG]

After cutting around the shape in a kind of quick manner, (not neat at all but leaving myself a load of room for mistakes)

The 2 pieces melted together, but hey, this was easy to fix with a quick tap ...

This left me with a lovely shape

[​IMG]

After a few minutes of filing and shaping I came up with this, and mounted the rad to see if it would fit properly, and to see what it looked like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then time for a lovely icey drink...

[​IMG]

After doing that, it was time for some correcting. I realised the pump mount was sagging, sooooo, i had to bend it again back the other way...

Before :

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Then time for some more modding.

I decided on where Im putting the res, so, it was time to make the top sturdy enough for what im going to do.

I wanted to make it look sexy, so, time for the drill, some scrap acrylic and a rivet gun :

I used a piece of paper to make sure all of the holes are in the right place:

[​IMG]

Then I drilled it out:

[​IMG]

Marked and drilled out the piece of plastic to test fit and to see what it was going to look like (this is going to be white acrylic in the end piece :

[​IMG]

Looks good hey??/

And thats it for the day guys.....Cheers for looking

14. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

I was very tempted by the WCUK competition... might nab myself a case anyway...

Loving the interesting shapes of the holes very much... Though I would recommend taking taking a small grinder to the edges of the more recent ones... That cut thumb looks PAINFUL!

The pump mount is interesting, though I can't help but think that it might snap if the case is moved or dropped... or any movement when running, which might result in a £10.99 water fountain...

Keep up the good work dude!

15. Farmboy UK

Farmboy UK Hungry for knowledge

looking good and cheap (in a good way)! Keep it up

16. sock58

sock58 Budget mods

rofl, it wont snap, done some little stress test, and if i drop my case, the last thing id worry about would be the stand.

And as for the holes, they do need some tidying, it shall all be done soon, got me some nice edging to go around some holes so it kinda covers up the nasty bits, as for the cuts on my thumbs, im always cutting myself somehow, normally arsing about outside or rock climbing.

17. sock58

sock58 Budget mods

UPDATE

i'll let the pics do the speaking,

Still not finished but im getting there....

Had to do some advertising XD

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then some spraying had to be done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then some more spraying, and blah blah blah....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my pride and joy of this build, THE SIDE PANEL!!! 12 Hours of slavery, boredom (quite relaxing tbh) and a bloody sore hand and digits from filing with needle files and slipping. :oops:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aquero thingymajiggys:

[​IMG]

Cheers for looking guys, wont be long now....

18. sock58

sock58 Budget mods

Right guys, iv kind of finished the case, got the finish off with the acrylic BUT tbh, i like the case without it, and ive now got a phase unit, SO, i shall be opening up and removing things alot, so meh, need easy access.

Anyways, time for some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers for looking guys...please tell me what you think??

Im going to be buying another one of these cases as i think its amazing to mod...

I have a few things on here that im going to touch up on slightly, but personally, Im classifying this as finished unless I get round to it.

AND also, the rad hasnt been installed as i think it only fair that we stick to the rules, eg, Case and mods completely done by myself, no hardware to be included and budget of £100.

Price list for mine:

Paint £25
    Aquero goodies (which are a permanent part of the case so im including them) £58
    Acrylic £10 (ebay)

Total : £93

Thanks once again, please comment!!!

(ps, This is my first ever proper case mod, so any feedback would be much appreciated.) :D

19. fathazza

fathazza Freed on Probation

looking pretty creative ;)

not sure about the purple tho!!

20. modgodtanvir

modgodtanvir Prepare - for Mortal Bumbat!

Yeahh man! Thats turned out awesome! Well done.

Tags: