1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £1000-1100 Gaming Build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Poulter, 22 Aug 2012.

1. malbluff

malbluff What's a Dremel?

With all this talk of i3's, OP wants to overclock. Are any of the i3's actually unlocked. I've read some bits, on trying to overclock the 2100, that sound a bit "iffy", or am I wrong?

2. davefelcher

davefelcher What's a Dremel?

GTX 670 > GTX 660ti. If you mean an overclocked 660ti could beat a stock 670 don't forget there is also headroom to overclock a 670 which would open up the performance gap again.

If the 660ti you had in mind comes with a fancy, quiet cooler then I'm not comparing apples with apples. The price difference would be more like £70 for comparable products.

3. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Yes it looks like a nice 660ti according to the reviews, it's the MSI power edition, which is about 100 cheaper than the 670 that i was looking at

4. ResCyn

ResCyn What's a Dremel?

Last edited: 23 Aug 2012
  5. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Ok, because i'm very simple minded (shock horror)... Why should i get the 670 over the 660ti, could you just outline a few points as to why i should spend the extra 60?

6. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

In short I would say it depends at the resolution you plan on gaming at. If it is 1080 then 660ti will be fine. If higher I would say either 670 or higher depending on how high your resolution is

7. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Whatever a 24in monitor runs on? :D

8. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

probably 1080p

id personally get the 670 to future proof it

9. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

So... the 660ti is pointless?

10. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

660ti is a great card for 1080p gaming on a budget however, you have said you want to spend £1000 and want a futureproof machine therefore 670 is a better choice for you

11. malbluff

1920x1080, normally. The problem is, at that resolution, you can make an argument both ways. The 670 IS better. Whether it's £60 better???? Honestly, you could toss a coin. If you budget would allow you to get 670, and everything else you might like, I would say "go for it". It would last you longer, into the future, before some new game came along that you can't play. But you are probably around £100 short of that. Is it better to have a 660 AND a SSD, rather than a 670 and perhaps no SSD, I'd have to say yes.
    On the subject of budget, how "in love" are you with the Sabretooth? It's an excellent board, and virtually bulletproof, but there are cheaper boards, that are more than adequate. Would make the budget a BIT easier.

12. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

I love the thought of the sabertooth, but i can be flexible if there is a better board/cheaper :D i think i'll go for the 660ti with the ssd

13. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Personally if I had that to blow on a new PC, this is what I would get.

[​IMG]

Change the peripherals as you see fit.

I would include a Mionix Zibal but its pretty pricey and leaves you a little headroom for a monitor purchase.

14. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

No PSU?

15. Ljs

Ljs Modder

Nah... It will run fine ;)

Oh dear! Serves me right for rushing.

Stick a Corsair unit in (£40-60), done.

Apologies.

Tbh, get rid of the keyboard and just by a normal cheap one (MS/Logitech) and treat yourself to a nice one later.

16. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Haha not a problem, right i was thinking this below
    http://clip2net.com/s/2ext7
    That all comes to 1038.... or is there something that i need to make better etc, i don't need a keyboard/mouse anyway :D

Last edited: 23 Aug 2012
  17. malbluff

What do you need us for!! Wouldn't greatly disagree with anything there, just couple of minor thoughts. Nothing particularly wrong with the Antec PSU, but the Corsairs are rock solid, and may be worth the bit extra for the TX650M (get the M version). CPU cooler is OK, but better one will give you more scope to overclock. Personally, I like closed loop liquid coolers. They make for a much "neater " installation, easier access, and less strain on motherboard. Just my personal opinion (I know others will disagree). Check out the OC Gigabyte Windrush 660Ti. They're supposed to be particularly good. To be honest, I've tried, without success, to find a direct comparison with the MSI, so can't be sure whether worth extra £17 (you do get a free game).
    With or without those changes, go for it, as long as you're happy with 660.
    Couple of things on Scan. They do reasonably priced build insurance, in case you have a mis-hap. When you're up to 20 posts here, you get free delivery, from Scan.

18. Poulter

Poulter What's a Dremel?

Ok i've changed the PSU, but i still like the MSI 660ti, very very good reviews on it :D almost at 20 posts, that's amazing news!! Also i'm new to liquid cooling, what one would you suggest for this build? :D

19. malbluff

The Corsair H100 has the best performance, but has a double length rad that probably won't fit in your case. The next step down is either the Corsair H80, or Antec Kuhler 920. They both have their "good points", but I would check out some reviews, as I'm not really familiar with the Antec, to advise you.
    One tip. If you go for the Corsair, they suggest having the radiator fans blowing into the case, to get maximum CPU cooling, but that adds to case temp. If you reverse the fans, so they're blowing out, it only reduces CPU cooling by a degree or so, but helps keep case cool.

20. narwen

narwen narwen

i would get a 670 has it's 25% faster in games that use high textures like Aliens vs. Predator. more games will come out using high textures.