1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other £200-£300 Laptop reccomendation

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hzza, 2 Feb 2016.

1. Hzza

Hzza Member

Right lads, I've been out of the hardware market for ages and I've always been a bit crap with laptops so I figure I'd come straight to the experts this time round so I don't end up with another Vaio :D.

The Mrs is mostly going to be using it, mostly for general web browsing/Facebook, skype and games/youtube/Netflix streaming for the kids so it doesn't need to be mega-spec. I'd like the option to add more RAM and an SSD further down the line and a webam is a must but other than that I have no real requirements, spec wise. Happy to go refurb or 2nd hand (I was thinking of an old Thinkpad or something) but again last time I was left to my own devices I ended up with a donkey so want some additional input.

2. nimbu

nimbu Well-Known Member

Check out the latitude e6x30 ranges. The x is the screensize, lots of corporates use these and there is plenty of ex corp stock on ebay at pretty good prices.

Generally solid, lids are prone to scratches and dents. I have a soft spot for the e6230. Nice little machine, can take up to 16gb ram and flies with a ssd.

Finally the dell's imo easy to repair and upgrade, I know that lenovo laptops can be very picky about wifi cards etc as they use lock them down further so you can only use particular cards.

3. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

I can heartily recommend the Latitude E6X30s, also ProBook 65x0 and ThinkPad T430 ranges for second hand options. They are designed to withstand a fair amount of abuse so there are plenty in good nick with decent specs for not too much money.

4. davidbrown1988

davidbrown1988 Member

You can pickup pretty good quality ex corp T420's on Amazon for around £150-170.

I've grabbed a couple for limited funds startups and they not had any problems.

Like previous people noted the battery will most likely be worn a little and the lid will have a few scratches. Potentially with some wear to the keyboard lettering and trackpads.

Really for that money your looking at Low powered AMD APU machines new or decent ex corporate models.

Even an i3 laptop usually starts around £350 ish new.

5. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Also, don't be afraid to shop abroad if the price is right - I picked up an Italian laptop a few years back for a bargain price, it was horribly under-specced in the listing but I could see from the photographic evidence that it was a better model, so one new keyboard later I had an ~£800 laptop in my hands, in perfect condition, for under £180 delivered to the UK + £40 for the UK layout keyboard.

Needless to say I flipped it very quickly and bought what I actually wanted with the profit, but that's well within the rules of eBay imho :D

6. Hzza

Hzza Member

Cheers lads, going to have a look at some of these and wait for the bonus at the end of the month. I wouldn't have any problems dropping an SSD into any of these would I? The comment about the Thinkpads being picking hardware wise is making me think twice.

@Shirty, I'm not confident enough to take a punt on a laptop based on looks alone, but nice work none the less :D.

7. nimbu

nimbu Well-Known Member

On some of the dell's u need like drive rails of the same size 7mm or 9mm. So once you get it open her up and opt for an ssd of the same thickness and u will be golden