1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £200 ish budget PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by matt_lumley, 5 Apr 2012.

1. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Hello again fellow bit-techers,

Your mission if you choose to accept it, is to spec me up the best PC possible for £200 ish.

Basically my girlfriends uncle has a poor packard bell PC that blew up a while ago, then he gave me £50 to fix it the best I could, despite my repeated attempts to explain the crap PSU will eventually kill any parts I put in he still refused to save a little longer and get a decent PC.

Now he finally has realised that its crap and somehow (that has bewildered me) he manages to keep making new installs crash for no apparent reason so its time for a new PC.

Now. His current spec is...
    Vista 32-Bit
    4GB DDR2
    160GB HDD
    DVD-RW
    Gigabyte skt 775 Mobo generic random cheapo one.
    Core 2 Duo CPU.
    Generic Packard Bell Case
    Generic Packard Bell PSU
    Generic PCI-E ATI 5400 Series GPU

He has given me the budget of £200 to fix it but as I think it will be possible to build a new PC for roughly this. This is where you come in:

We are going to need:

New PSU
    New CPU + Mobo
    New RAM
    New HDD

I have an OS, Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor he can use.

Now I think I could go slightly over budget and sell his current PC to recover the costs of this so lets say up to £250.

We can either use onboard GPU or stick in the current one to tide him over.

If Possible I can OC the CPU but obviously that depends on the mobo, also considering second hand.

Thank you in advance for the excellent replies Im bound to recieve.

Matt

2. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

3. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

I'm planning a similar build and will need the same parts as you. I'll be using a G530, but here is a build using the G840

[​IMG]

4. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

Cheers guys, I knew you'd come through, thats pretty much what I figured aswell, was speccing it up.

Cheers

5. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

I just built a new system for my son's nursery, based on the AMD triple core A6 apu, works really well. I did skimp on the case/psu but carefully timed purchases using scan today only offers & free delivery meant the build came in around the £200 mark. That was with monitor but without a new hdd. 2nd hand ram also a viable way to keep the costs down, though ddr3 is dirt cheap anyway.