1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £500 pc build based around Gainward GeForce GTX260 "Golden Sample"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by slambittech, 17 Oct 2009.

1. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

Hi all,
    I have around £500 to spend on a pc, i spent around £450 about a month ago for my brother with these spec:

GAINWARD ATI RADEON HD 4850 "GOLden sample (brought from novatech)

(rest brought from ebuyer)
    AMD Phenom X4 9650
    Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 770 Socket AM2+ 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
    Galaxy Black Mid Tower Case with Blue Bubble Light LED Strip - 450W PSU
    OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400 GOLD XTC Memory Kit CL5(5-5-5-18)
    LG GH22NS50 22x DVD±RW DL & Ram SATA Black Retail Kit with Software
    Netgear WG311 Wireless-G PCI Card
    Samsung EcoGreen F2 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 32MB Cache - OEM
    i changed the power supply to 650w or 750 watts i think. forgot which one, was from maplins.

installed vista and he says sometimes it still lags.

what do your think of the spec considering the price i paid?

for my pc i want to build a gaming pc around this graphic card:
    Gainward GeForce GTX260 "Golden Sample" 55nm SLI 896MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI PCI-Express from novatech.

i dont know how to do overclocking or anything like that, i just buy and build and install drivers and software.

i would like to buy all or most components from ebuyer or novatech.

what would your pc build be if you had £500 to spend? the gainward gtx260 card cost £127 (novatech) already.

2. bagman

bagman Minimodder

what resolution does he play at?

3. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Does your brother mean windows gets laggy? I would say the samsung F2 is a poor choice as a system drive, they're too slow. Ive got 2 as media drives which imo is about all they're good for.

Are you set on the gainward card? I think for your rig get an F3 drive over the F2, you could look at an X3 AMD chip, and make sure you get a quality PSU corsair come highly recommended.

4. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

he links it up to a 26inch samsung lcd.

he says windows vista is laggy, yeh i know the drive is slower than normal ones but its the hard drive space he wanted. i also dont know much about psu, i usually buy amd but i hear or read intel dual core 2 is the way to go for something about £100.

also is the gtx 260 golden sample better graphics card and will it support all gaming for now and the future for like 5 yrs?

5. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

sorry psu i just look at the connections and the watts really

6. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

sorry hard drive i will indeeed get a f3 one for my build. just read up on it, i think i went for the f2 b4 because he was on a really tight budget.

what mother board / build would you recommend for me? i have £500 to spend, looking to buy most of it from ebuyer.

main concern is speed and the graphic card. dont wanna spend too much on graphics card, the gainward gtx 260 was ideal because i hear it gives great performance and its only £25 over my budget which was £100 for a graphics card.

any help would be appreciated.

7. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I have the say that the GTX260 GS is a great card. My son has one in his machine and it will play Batman Arkham Asylum at 1920x1200 with all settings on high. No lag at all.

I got it from here. If you scroll to the bottom of this page you will see it in the middle. Currently at £113.26

I ws lucky enough to get mine a couple of months ago when it was still around £100.00
    Excellent value for money and come with a copy of Batman AA.

8. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

thanks, saved me some more pennies. Any more info on the spec i should go for?

9. slambittech

slambittech Minimodder

is all the spec got drivers for xp as i dont like vista, i mean are these days the components made for vista only and are not ment for xp as i have a laptop and it cannot get drivers for xp because its made for vista