1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £750 Gaming spec required

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lazyfox, 1 Jul 2012.

1. lazyfox

lazyfox What's a Dremel?

Budget: £750

Main uses of intended build: Mainly gaming, other than that just general use (videos, work when I decide to do some)

Parts required: The budget is for the tower, OS and the monitor. I don't need keyboard/mouse/speakers

Previous build information (list details of parts): I did build a gaming rig back in '06 but I have recently fallen right off the radar and my current knowledge is lacking other than what I've picked up reading various forums such as this. I won't be using anything from that rig though.

Monitor resolution:I think a 22" 1920x1080 suits my needs (although feel free to tell me otherwise) I don't think I want to go above 22" due to practicality.

Storage requirements: I doubt I need more than 500GB, I already have a 500GB external.

will you be overclocking: yes/no? This, if I'm honest I'm a little unsure about. I have never overclocked before and I'm leaning towards no simply because I'm not sure I can be bothered with the hassle. However, if this causes you to gasp and cry "heathen!" and you think it's something I really should invest time/money in then please say so. If it's a fair effort and won't gain me that much I'd rather not bother.

Any motherboard requirements: No special requirements.

Extra information about desired system:

As I've said, I have done my fair share of reading around (as any one should when spending this kind of money) however I just need help on the specifics.
    For example, and again please tell me if any of this is wrong, or my budget won't allow

- I'd like to go i5 (though I don't know the benefit/cost ratio with i3)
    - I'd like to have 8GB RAM
    - I need the OS, which I presume should be Windows 7 64 bit?
    - I'm not so sure about the Graphics card, are Geforce still the way forward? Radeon?
    - SSD - I'm not sure my budget allows for this, although I may be underestimating the benefit?
    - Case - something that isn't huge but obviously big enough for good airflow etc. I don't want anything too fancy either, just a bog standard one will do.
    - Do I need extra cooling?

Anyway, I think this is everything. Please let me know if you require any more information and any help you can give would be hugely appreciated.

2. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

3. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

You need to log in and save your basket to be able to share it Virus44 ;)

4. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

Virus44 that link is just to an empty basket, you need to click on Save Basket and then view it to give a link that will look like:

{param} followed by a string of letters and numbers - that will link you to the actual basket.

:thumb:

EDIT: I spent far too long typing that, ninja'd DOH!!

5. noizdaemon666

Ok, I just bobbed this together. Fairly decent spec, good screen. I'm still trying to refine it to squeeze an i5 in.

6. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

Since gaming is the main use I'd go for the best GPU you can feasibly afford (I'd suggest a non-reference HD7850 - brilliant performance and very future proof), and maybe a very cheap CPU for now, with the option of an upgrade later. Most games can perform well with even a cheap modern CPU.

7. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

yep if you can an i5 is def worth it, most games would appreciate that

as always though when people ask for a screen with their build it does make things harder. what i usually suggest is to just use your current screen and buy a better comp, and then get a good screen somewhere down the line. i think that is the best way to go about it rather than compromise from the get go

8. Virus44

Virus44 What's a Dremel?

Oops my bad i it turns out that i wiped my history before so the basket is kind off gone :sigh: well least i tryed

9. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

You can get something like a Pentium G840 for about £40, saving a lot on the CPU. With a Z77 board it'd give you a chance to upgrade to something faster in a year or so. It depends on the games you play, but many will offer very little extra performance with an i3 or i5, often we're talking something like 80fps vs 90fps.

e.g.

[​IMG]

(These benchmarks are all with the same discrete graphics card)

edit:

And with bit-tech's review, Arma II at 1920x1080 at high settings gives identical fps with the G840 and i3 2105.

Last edited: 2 Jul 2012
  10. noizdaemon666

P67 also supports Ivy Bridge assuming the relevant BIOS update is installed. Well a lot of boards do. Might be worth a look to see if you can pick one up for cheap/second hand.

11. teppic

teppic What's a Dremel?

CCL was offering an Asus P8Z68-V Pro for about £75 until a few days ago, that would have been a really good choice. There are probably still some good deals around though on P67 and Z68. Entry level Z77 boards aren't too expensive though, and you get integrated USB 3 there too, which is a nice extra.

I think since overclocking isn't now a prime concern, going for an i5 (Sandybridge or Ivy Bridge) or even an i3 might spend money that would be better spent on a more powerful graphics card.