1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £800 Computer needed, help please :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mecblade, 17 May 2011.

1. mecblade

mecblade 14 year old Technophile

So I'm taking the plunge, and my parents have authorised £800 for a Budget-Mid end Sandy Bridge rig before I get a Haswell/Rockwell rig at Uni. Currently, I'm stumped on what I should get and I urgently need your help. My priority is the CPU/Memory as the tasks i'll be running should be RAM Intensive. As well as that, a decent screen and case would be nice as they're the components which will last. I can skimp on the GPU, so that isn't too much of a priority.

Please help! :D

2. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

For £800 you'd be looking for the best bang for buck to be honest unless you really want to push the boat out you will be limited especially including the cost of a monitor in to a Sandybridge build!

Here's what I come up with...

https://secure.scan.co.uk/aspnet/Shop/SavedBasket/Show.aspx?id=5828a5c8e299401db9c90cab72929d4d

The best way to skimp on a GPU is to have none and pay an extra £20 for the Z68 motherboard to take full advantage of the i5 2500K. I've not read any reviews or had first hand experience of the Z68. If it's as good as the P67 then it'll be capable and at least you get video out without the need for a dedicated GPU for the time being. Minus the Scansure protection and assuming free postage with a Dell U2311H included it comes under £800. Skimped on the outlay for a better case increased RAM and maybe a more powerful PSU but it should be a competent performer for the money.

3. Throbbi

Throbbi New Member

Thats a great suggestion from Blogins.

If you would be happy with a TN panel then you could pick a nice one up for a fair bit less like

BenQ E2220 for £130 giving £110 back for possible a cheaper dedicated GPU like
    MSI 550Ti 1GB leaving an extra £14 towards a nicer case which would happily net you a
    Coolermaster 690 II Lite and the odd spare cash and the removal of scansure and carriage costs allows an 8GB memory kit (since you said things to be done were RAM intensive).

Full build here Build Basket

All really depends on an IPS or TN panel to be honest and i understand that you said to skimp on the GPU but if it can be done, why not :D