Case Mod - In Progress компьютер -- 2009.12.8 - structural assembly finished!

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by IvanIvanovich, 1 Sep 2008.

1. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

and now it works again... what is going on with this computer i have no clue... possible demonic possession? but you may ask, why does it work again? i don't know. all i do know is that the one thing different: my terrible wiring for my control panel isn't connected. actual reason, or mere coincidence? also i lied about those hotswap bays. it turns out there was something useful for this project after all. they have one of those key switches on them. since i only wanted one of them in the first place, i had no problem tearing the thing out of it and sticking it in my control panel as a new reset switch (which dosen't work). then i found out these hotswap bays go for like $170... which makes me really wonder why i got them free. so i keep wasting time doing other random things instead of anything useful. perhaps once i get these panel pieces back from the metal guy it will get me motivated again?

2. IvanIvanovich

F*CKING METAL!!!!

so i got the metal pieces back from the guy. yay. so he basically did a good job on them, and i can't really complain since it was for free.
    [​IMG]
    heres the top panel
    [​IMG]
    heres the front one
    [​IMG]
    gripe 1: i had tabs that were supposed to exist to attach the panels to the case frame, that don't so i guess i will make a brackets with some of the leftover aluminum L frame.
    [​IMG]
    gripe 2: once again no tabs. i had tabs to attach the top and front together, and also attach the sides to each other around the top panel. as you may see there are some gaps in the corners, which i guess i will have to weld together or something...
    [​IMG]
    gripe 3: they bent that in the wrong direction the bend at the bottom in the photo should be the exact opposite. its a pretty small piece, i think i can manage to bend it around... maybe.
    [​IMG]
    oh and heres a picture of the reset switch that dosen't work that i mention in last post.

since i have the pieces back, if i have some time tomorrow i might start on cutting out the holes for the psu, usb / firewire etc. if not then definitely the weekend.
    to do:
    source some plexi and mesh for the side panel.
    oh i came up with a pretty nice way of securing the side panel on, but you'll have to wait and see. if it works out it will only require one screw.
    also my shoddy wiring has nothing to do with anything. the video card just randomly works. confirmed that it was the problem in my other computer as it dosen't work properly in that one either. and it was HORRIBLE getting the card into that case let me tell you. about 2mm clearance after plugging the power cable, after removing the hdd rack. so anyways its on its way back to rma land and i get to use my old x1650xt untill i get a replacement... boo!

more comments! tell me if i'm doing something retarded, or good. i just NEED to know!

Last edited: 18 Sep 2008
  3. Alex6969

Alex6969 If it's fixed, I can break it.

Nixie thermometer? Nice one!

4. IvanIvanovich

yeah a nixie thermometer would be cool, if only i had any clue on how to make it... i am a total electronics noob.

so i have been doing some more comparision shopping on watercooling components. i am still not final, but so far this is what i have picked out:
    Thermaltake P500 12V Pump - $50 US (price, size, it has a mounting plate as part of the design) i have seen mixed reviews on this item though...
    Innovatek Fass-O-Matic Barrel Header Tank - $70 US yeah i know been used to death, but it looks cool.
    EK Radeon HD4850 Acetal VGA Liquid Cooling Block - $117 US x2 i wanted to go with dangerden, but these are about $30 cheaper, and look to be made well...
    Heater core radiator (going to try and get one from the salvage yard for cheap) may or may not be passive cool, will see if space allows for fans where i intend to mount it.
    + 3/8 ID fittings, tubing, etc - $??
    fell free to offer any opinions on these components, or if you know of someplace to get stuff cheaper than what i have found so far. also i was trying to plan out how the loop would be, and i came up with this: res > pump > vga 1 > rad > vga2 > res... would this be good or bad? i haven't done much with liquid cooling before. but i figured it would probably be a good idea to not have the hot liquid from the first card flow straight to the second... maybe add a small 1x120 between vga2 and res if i can figure out someplace for it to go.

5. Otto69

Otto69 New Member

I just received one of these, http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...e_150mm_Reservoir_-_SILVER.html?tl=g30c95s708, and it's remarkably well made. Mine has internal as well as external fins. The only problem is the internal tube that's supposed to exhaust warm water up high in the tube is only an inch long, so I'm going to have to machine mine out and replace it. I don't know what the dummies who made it were thinking, this must have been a new guy at the job or something. But that aside it's very well made, beautifully made even. Also available in black and in longer lengths.

6. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

LOL about the cat getting the sata cable. nice photo of the cat. :)

7. IvanIvanovich

yeah those are nice reservoirs as well. space is going to be a huge factor when deciding on the watercooling parts. i have a fairly limited space to work with since i made the case so small. yes my cat has some fixation with cords of any type. it took me a long time to train her not to chew power cords.

so i spent several hours attempting to solder the connectors for the power cable i was going to make. i don't know what the problem is but solder will just not stick to the cb jacks... after trying and trying and trying i managed to get 3 of 4 wires soldered to one end. i think most of the problem is this soldering "gun" i borrowed. it dosen't stay hot worth a damn, even when holding the trigger. i think i'll buy a normal iron tomorrow and see if that works better.

8. IvanIvanovich

well a little mini update. i haven't gotten a lot done as i had hoped. i got kind of sidetracked breaking in my new CROSSFIRE setup! yay!!!!! but i did take some time away from gaming to get a little work done...

[​IMG]
    got some supplys including some plexi for the side.
    [​IMG]
    and a nice new tool for finishing up my soldering. this beats the hell out of soldering iron. instant heat control and great precision. i think i could even probably solder on pcbs with some confidence with it.
    [​IMG]
    wire one soldered...
    [​IMG]
    3 wires soldered and heatshrinked
    [​IMG]
    all wires soldered, heatshrinked, and heatshrinked again.
    [​IMG]
    a quick test. the light comes on, and it's good. my wiring is not as shoddy as i figured. i guess we'll see when it set the pc on fire later...
    [​IMG]
    reinserted the switch and led (they don't do anything yet, but at least they are in there)
    [​IMG]
    reinsert the old io connector. figure it looks cool, and it fills a hole up...
    [​IMG]
    tried melting some solder to fill the gaps in the corners with my new torch, but it didn't work real well... need something to catch the solder from just running out. it would probably be better to just braze it.
    [​IMG]
    crossfire action!

well thats it for now. going to get back to gaming. got the new alone in the dark. can't wait to crash to the desktop some more....

9. IvanIvanovich

work work work work work never lets me get any modding done. blast it all! so it looks like the problem with the video cards is creeping up again. i noticed that when it is not operating correctly that an led comes on on the backside of the card. so i did some researching and it is faulty +12v warning. so that means my psu is not providing enough clean power to the card. thats too bad because i really didn't want to have to replace the power unit. i really like the design, especially those cables are faboo. so i can either:
    1. get an entire new atx power supply
    2. attempt to run the video card off a pico psu (which i was somewhat planning on trying already)
    3. thermaltake toughpower vga psu 250w unit.

either way i have space / where to put it problems to overcome. with a new atx power unit i would have to be really really careful it is absolutely not a hair longer than this hiper i have, since i can just barely remove the motherboard with the power supply in the case.
    with the pico psu i would have to figure out some reliable way of mounting it that is better than double sided sticky tape.
    with the tt toughpower i would have to find a place for it to go - without making the case any taller.

also i have been mulling over some good techniques to make the plexiglass look grimy (think windows at the mechanics) if anyone has some suggestions feel free. also i PROMISE to get some stuff done tomorrow and it should be a pretty big update.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I don't think the PICO PSU would suit that task too well. I would personally get the Thermaltake drive bay PSU, you have already spent the cash on a normal size PSU, you don't want to have to do that again.

11. IvanIvanovich

true the tt vga psu would have more room to grow, and also it is especially what it is for. specs wise i would go with it first choice as i also like a dedicated solution. on the other hand the hiper i have is almost 3 years old. i don't know yet. way back when i started this idea i had a meager x1650xt so i definitely wasn't expecting to have these 2 hd4850 monsters in this tiny case.
    so i did get somethings accomplished, but as usual not as much as i wanted to. i spent more time fixing mistakes than anything. i have a horrible tendency to eyeball everything, never measure... so its really my own fault. i also made some design changes and have been really trying to think of what i am going to do about this power problem. also i had a nice disaster today. i was using a hole saw attachment on the drill and it got binded up somehow and jerked so hard it made the workbench knock over and land on the plexiglass i had propped up against the wall, thus breaking it...
    on to the progress...
    [​IMG]
    the holes i was cutting at the time of the disaster. at least it came out ok. i am sure you can guess that i have decided to mount the meters up front.
    [​IMG]
    finally painted the back and bottom of the case olive drab.
    i also painted the inside with a couple more coats of the glow in the dark paint. i am hoping 4 coats will be enough to have some effect. if so next up will be some rust paint on the inside. i am hoping to achieve a "so radioactive it glows" effect.
    [​IMG]
    painted the mesh that goes over the psu. it was too shiny.
    [​IMG]
    had a nasty slip up cutting the hole out for the psu on the front face. i am thinking of riveting a piece of thin metal around the hole to hide it.
    [​IMG]
    marked out the vent for the hard disks on the top panel, then decided i didin't really like the way it looked...
    [​IMG]
    did it this way instead.
    [​IMG]
    i went with some metal corners to hide up the gaps that i had on the top piece. i think it looks ok like this, but it was more out of necessity than by design. i also made the holes for the power light and the external power jack.
    [​IMG]
    esata port on the top of the top
    [​IMG]
    light and power jack test fit. esata is also installed.
    [​IMG]
    had to pull the molex off again to install the power jack
    [​IMG]
    light, jack, esat all installed. i am happy with the outcome and this should be final.
    [​IMG]
    a fan i rummaged out of my spare parts box. it was a hideous blue lighted one... yuck. also look at that nasty plugs. whats up with the 4 pin molex with a motherboard fan connector with only the sense wire?
    [​IMG]
    leds ripped out and got that wiring fixed up. will use this for the intake on the front until i bother to order something better.

next up:
    finish the holes for the meter screws, power switch, reset switch on the front. cut out a vent for the 120mm intake fan on the front. cut out the 2nd hdd vent and 120mm fan vent on the top. once thats all done the main structural work should be more or less finished, and i can turn my attention to details.

12. The boy 4rm oz

Looking really great. Can't wait to see it all put together.

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

russian themed mod with cold war theme/war and you used an IBM monitor, 'hangs head in disbelief'

of course this computer should be as reliable as an AK47, so fill it with sand, mud and snow and see if it works! lol!

love the mod chap!

14. IvanIvanovich

well we already know that this computer is nowhere near as reliable as an ak-47... as for the monitor, why not? its not like it was going to some better use. in other news i should have a lot more time to work on this mod now that i am unemployed. while it should be put together soon, it probably won't be finished for awhile yet. hopefully i can find some other work quick, or else i can't afford to chance buying the water cooling parts. expect some updates soon.

15. IvanIvanovich

so... its been about a week. well thats because my computers been out of action for awhile. seems i was right about the hard disk after all. i started getting a parade of strange bsods then it started off on the grinding click click click. so its on its way back to seagate for warranty service since where i bought it from only will accept a return in 30 days. so i finally got the pc back up and running with a single drive. i don't think i'm going to be fooling around with raid 0 again. so in light of that there is going to be a redesign on the case. the top mounted drive rails are going goodbye. the top exhaust fan may or may not be going as well as it dosen't really seem to do much good. with the components out of the way on the top it leaves a good place to mount a rad. plan on moving the single hdd to be mounted on the front over the psu. also ati finally added fan control on the 8.10 catalysts so its been a much more stable on the vga front. hope to get something accomplished soon.

16. The boy 4rm oz

Sucks about the HDD mate. Glad to hear it's back up running again.

17. IvanIvanovich

well i managed to get a little done. i'm having trouble getting over to where i do work, as i sold my car since it was going to cost more to repair than it was worth. anyways... so i started in on a rather painful and tedious process of making a vent for the fan. i decided to keep the top exhaust as i figure it will be more beneficial once the case is closed up. anyhow i had this old heatsink from an ancient non functional commodore unit that a friend dropped by that had a really nice vent pattern in it that i decided to use as a template. it is temporarily riveted in place until i am finished drilling.
    [​IMG]
    it has something like 650 holes in it... this is going to take a long time since all i have to work with is a handheld drill.
    [​IMG]
    making progress
    [​IMG]
    remember how i was planning on making a vent for the top mounted hard drives? yeah... so i made a bad mistake and it was too much metal cut out. i will be doing something to fix this soon.
    [​IMG]
    got the meters mounted on the front. also got some nice hex head bolts to make it look more industrial. too bad i let the drill get away from me and marred the meter face... 3 times
    after much test fitting it seems that the idea i had about moving the hard drive to the front of the case is not going to work. there just isn't enough room for plugging the cables in. it would also interfere with intended placement of other components, so i decided to leave it alone and it will stay on the top of the case. debating of possibly installing a card reader or small vfd where the 2nd drive was.

18. Nexxo

Nexxo Bargaining chip

Good Dieselpunk. :thumb:

The trick to not letting your drill slip (apart from buying a drill press if possible) is to cover the object in several layers of paper masking tape and drill through it. This not only allows you to mark the exact drill point but the tape keeps the drill bit from slipping.

19. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

A small centre-punched pit is better IMO. That's what they're made for. And start with a small bit (3mm) and work up.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo Bargaining chip

True, a centre punch is indispensible, but masking tape protects from scratches if the drill bit manages to slip.

Tags: