1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overclocking “Overclocking” an AVR

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by hyuna, 14 Dec 2016.

1. hyuna

hyuna Banned

In AVR datasheets under the Electrical Characteristics section you will typically find a graph like this (this one is from the ATMega328):
    [​IMG]
    I've seen designs that seem to "work" but operate outside the shaded envelope. Specifically, I've seen 3.3V (Arduino) designs that run the clock from an external 16MHz crystal. Clearly, this is out of spec. What are the practical negative consequences of running outside this envelope?

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Same as overclocking owt else: increased temperature, decreased lifespan, the potential for irregular operation and errors. These issues are exacerbated if you're relying on perfect timing in your project for things like PWM control, but it's certainly perfectly possible to overclock an AVR. I wrote about a guy doing just that, in fact, and the 16MHz Arduino reached 37MHz at room-temperature and 65.3MHz when submerged in liquid nitrogen(!)

EDIT: Dammit, I've fallen for a bot! The above post is word-for-word taken from this StackExchange question from 2011, while the poster's IP leads to a Linode server. Banned, but I'll leave the post up 'cos my reply is awesome.

Last edited: 14 Dec 2016