1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [02/07] Liquid Mountains

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by BioSniper, 19 Feb 2007.

1. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

[​IMG]

Original image (not as sharp as the replacement)

My first entry for this months theme.

More playing with techniques than anything else and also learning a lot about PS. I actually almost prefer it with a Photoshop cooling filter. I would also have subdued the reflections slightly if only my polariser actually fitted the 50mm.

Pretty happy with this one though :D

Last edited: 19 Feb 2007
  2. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

I like both the idea and the composition.
    I do, however, believe that the overexposure although intentional does take away from a great shot.
    Also I would like it to have been a little more crisp, I do like it though :)

3. Hwulex

Hwulex New Member

I like it :thumb:

Agree with Yoda about the slightly blown out patch to the aft and as you said the polariser might've been nice, but it's still good without.

Is the polar too big or small? If too big, couldn't you just tape it over the end of the lens, Get all Heath Robinson? Or shooting at 1/25 like you have you could probably get away with holding it?

btw; I assume this is some kind of lightbox or glass table + lamp and not a laptop screen like my recent endeavours? :eeek:

4. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

what can i say, a lot better than my effort for this month.

well done!

(btw, about the polariser, i have a 58mm--> 52mm stepdown adapter as a hangover from when i still had the 300d and kit lens - for the price of shipping - let's say 50p - i'll send it to you as i don't need it any more...)

5. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

I did take the shot several times at different stages so it's quite possible that I have a version of it without the blown-out-ness :)
    I'll have to have a proper search through them in a bit.
    Yeah. the Polar is a little bit big (58mm), and fod; that'd be rather good of you! PM me with some details (though I may still have them hanging around) :)

::edit::
    As to the setup of the shot it almost warrants a diagram.
    Basically I had a shoebox, with a metal tray on top, on top of that there was a green sheet of card with glass on it.
    To the left of the setup I had the Xbox360 box with a halogen lamp on it. Behind that there was another green sheet of card.
    Nice and ghetto ;)
    I used a stack of Xbox/360/Gamecube games as a tripod as I sadly had to work off of floor level.

As for the sharpness, I know what you mean, its very slightly out of focus but I needed to be pretty close and the 50mm won't really focus that well at around 8 inches.

:: double edit ::

Sharpening applied to ice and water. Possibly over-sharp on the right. I may fix that later though :)

Last edited: 19 Feb 2007
Tags: