1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [06/07] The Bow

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Cptn-Inafinus, 18 Jun 2007.

1. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Member

A quickly done entry for this months POTM. Nothing special.

[​IMG]

Enjoy

2. Dayains

Dayains Notamodder

I'm not sure what makes me love it, but I do!

3. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit No longer the other Brett.

It's got a lot going for it, but I would resize if for the web before posting.

4. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Member

What size do you recon i should do. I always hate having a really unequal sized image...

5. Nath

Nath Your appeal has already been filed.

800px on the longest side is always a good guideline to stick to. Or, if it's for an actual gallery where people can choose the size (e.g. Flickr), then 1200px wide if it's landscape, or 800px tall if it's portrait works pretty well. :thumb:

6. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

That is really nice!!

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Nice picture, what was it taken with?

8. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

Krikkit; Exif says Samsung Digimax 210SE.

If I can be so bold as to add some constructive criticism to the shot?

The compression used is to be frank, horrific. Now, I'm not sure if it came off the camera this way but if you are using Photoshop or similar to add the border to your image may I suggest that you save in a higher quality setting (10 should be fine) but with the "save for web" option? That way you get an image which will have a much smaller file size without the compression artefacts.
    ::edit::
    Having had a Google though, if the Exif data is correct, it's probably the original compression of the image off the camera that's caused the fuzzy-ness due to it having a reasonably low pixel count (apparently 2.1, which, dependant on camera, isn't really meant to be viewed in it's original resolution, it should be down-sized).
    Just that I find the overall lack of sharpeness in the shot really detracts from an otherwise great idea.

As for the re-size 600 wide by 800 high would be fine, again, if you are using Photoshop (or probably any other image editor) for re-sizing most will have the ability to "Constrain Proportions" so that it will automatically calculate the other sides length after you put in the first value while keeping the aspect of the image the same.

You'll also find that due to the cameras age re-sizing the large images will actually make them look one heck of a lot sharper which will really tidy the image up :) :thumb:

9. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Member

Yes. I understand where you are coming from. The most stressful thing is that the iso speed is at.

Wait for it.

And its fixed. I cannot manually over ride it at all.

It certianly is NOT my best shot ever, I just feel guilty when i dont enter POTM :)

Edit Also, i use photo shop 7. But getting CS3 in a week :D (oh they joys of friends in the "biz")

Edit 2 Also i think its a bit TOO sharp. Dont know.

*sigh* Edit three...

[​IMG]

Enjoy children :)

Last edited: 20 Jun 2007
  10. BioSniper

BioSniper New Member

Don't feel guilt about entering it, the shot is a fantastic idea and (imo) that's what counts.
    I do apologise if I came across a little harsh about the compression thing, I was just trying to be helpful and give some tips :thumb: :)

I'm guessing the fixed ISO of 65535 just implies "automatic"

::edit:: here is a version that I've resized to the same as your shrunk version in CS2, used save for web -> Progressive -> Quality 90.
    I also applied a 20% un-sharp mask at 1.0 pixel radius though it barely affected it, just made the clouds a little crisper really.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z80/bio_bit/pict0129ai6.jpg

Last edited: 21 Jun 2007
  11. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Member

Constructive critism. I appreciate it! lol

It is quite oftenly very stressfull using that dammed camera because of the constraints of the fixed iso speed. And. Well fixed everything except the EV bias and white balance...

Just wait till christmas...

christmas...

Tags: