1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [09/07] Chip and Pin

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Mother-Goose, 18 Sep 2007.

1. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

Hi all,

This is the first time I think I've actually thought about entering the POTM, my photo skills aren't anywhere near as accomplished as some of you guys, but I've decided this is the best way to learn how to use my camera properly :)

Anywho - This is my possible entry

[​IMG]

And now I hear you ask "what on earth has this got to do with technology?" - well my answer is that I am trying to show how technology alters the perception of words and what they mean. 10 years ago, if you asked someone what chip and pin was, this is most likely what they would say (you could replace 10 years with 50 years if you wanted ;)). (For anyone thinking "those are fries", in England we reffer to these as chips, and what you may think of as chips are in fact crisps)

Anyway, hit me with suggestions as to improve the shot, I had lighting problems hence the shadows.

Last edited: 25 Sep 2007
  2. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

Interesting!

(I so hate chip and pin)...

3. MiT

MiT Don't feed me after midnight!! nom

Isnt that "chips and pin". lol. only joking.

makes me hungry. I dont have clue about photography, so am gona say it looks good, and you even got me to make a comment on it. ;)

4. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Gah, you're making me really hungry.

Anyways, I really like the take on the theme. The product/catalog shot approach isn't working for me though - just not interesting enough. Keep the subject, but see what else you can do with the background. Perhaps a shot of a chip+pin reader (or whatever you'd call them, we don't have them over here). Not sure if shopping one in would be cheating, but I've got a feeling you'll get some pretty odd looks bringing that into a store.

5. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

Nice shot, I don't think it really goes with the theme though :( like if you're creative enough you could turn any subject matter into something like that to make it fit. Excellent shot though, I think McDonalds is hiring.... ;)

6. zabe

zabe Perfect in my imperfection

I don't really get what you're expressing with the shot... but then again, I've never understood most modern art. Still, it's very innovative/creative, and for that you deserve credit. nice work

7. Mother-Goose

Last night, just before I went to bed I thought of putting on top of my credit card (which is a metallic kinda silver) I was thinking this would give it another dimension a bit (and possibly alter the shadowing somewhat). I don't have a reader available unforunately, and my ps skills aren't that good lol (or Fireworks as I use) BUT to put it back in context, I could put my wallet in the background, if I get the appature right it should blur out.

I agree with that, although I was mainly going for a slightly tounge in cheek approach to this months theme, everyone has gone for an actual piece of technology so far, I thought I play on the words involved in technology instead.

I'll take the picture again tonight with the aid of my credit card or wallet (not sure which yet, possibly both, mmm). I am very greatful that there are positive comments about the shot though (even if I am pushing the theme a bit :)) thanks :thumb:

8. Mother-Goose

hmmm, doesn't look so good on the credit card, I'll do some PP and see what I can come up with, the original shot is completely natural, no PP, no crop, just resized.

9. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

I'm assuming you used normal light here and not a flash? Try softening the light by putting tracing paper or baking paper over it. I would also try lowering the angle of the light a bit to the left and put a white card to the right to fill the resulting shadows a bit.

10. Mother-Goose

hmmmm I could drop the level on the light as well (it has two settings) and the white card is exactly what am Missing, I should make that studio they made over on trusted reviews.

I'll give it a go next week (I am stupid busy now and over the weekend) or tonight if I manage to get a chance.

11. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

good shot but if you was american that would have a different meaning as chips = crisps thus your photo is a fries and pin lol

Good shot though i vote for the chips

12. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

I guess it's down to personal taste, but I quite like the lighting. I like the stark effect on the fries (chips). I'm on the fence regarding the theme, though. I understand the joke now that you've explained it. As M_D_K said, if you hadn't explained it I'd be wondering why you stuck a safety pin through a couple of french fries.

-monkey

13. Mother-Goose

I like the fact that it is causing some controversy, I'll add one of the ones with the credit card in to see what you lot think.

Regarding the language barrier the only argument I've got there is I'm using UK english (Thank you microsoft!) lol thus said, I have altered my explanation to include a little translation hehe

Thanks for the comments though guys, I'm so pleased the actually photo hasn't been shot down in flames :)

14. OleJ

OleJ Me!

The photo is great! I like your take on the theme and I really like that the photo is so bright :)

15. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Don't forget to add your entry to the POTM voting site if you want to be eligible for voting and possible success! Only around 24 hours left to do so.

16. Mother-Goose

crappers, in which case I'll go with this one lol didn't have time to sort the other one out, cheers for the reminder :)

Tags: