1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice 1.5K Work / Gaming Computer

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rainbowbridge, 9 Aug 2009.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd go for an Asus D2X and a pair of Grado SR80i's.

2. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'd always recommend the Creative (no I'm not a fanboy, my friend had em and I tested them out and loved them) Fatal1ty Headset for £22.99 (£30 when I bought them T_T), amazing quality. Music sounds amazing, bass is huge and they are perfect for gaming when matched with a sound card that can create virtual surround/3D audio. Another college friend bought a £100 turtle beach headset for his xbox and frankly I was unimpressed, the audio quality was around the same if not slightly more fuzzing at certain frequencies and there wasn't as much bass. I'm by no means an audio expert when it comes to headsets but I KNOW this one is brilliant :)

Ending Credits likes this.
  3. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I can't really recommend any sound card if you're an audiophile. Most sound cards add just some shiny effects, and not much more.

4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I went for the Sennheiser Home HD555 headphones.
    And
    Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Sound Card

Last edited: 12 Aug 2009
  5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

do you have your speaker set up sorted? if not i can recommend the AE Aego M's. Well worth the outlay. Also good call on waiting for the SSD, i think we'll see some interesting developments before the year is out

6. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

bump, updated front page.

Cliff notes of interest.

Orginal build case is not in the Uk the 800d from corsair so I have had to go with a low end case until its here.

I am starting to realize that come this saturday I will have every thing available to build a new computer and Im kind of scared about it even thou I have worked in IT for a decade.

The componet that has impressed me the most so fair has been the PSU in its weight, its a good weight.

Last point.. I need a digital camera and may need to ship a sub £50 unit, I need to do a feild report at a meusem for another site I report to so yeah, may spend a whole £50 on a digital camera.

7. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I get nervous about that sort of stuff too. Best thing for you to do is rebuild an old comp or your current comp. Helps a lot for your confidence.

8. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

If you are going to get a 3rd party cooler then get a cheaper 4890. If you get one that costs more, then you are paying for them to overclock it. And paying for whatever cooler they put on it.
    You can overclock it on your own and buying a card with a cooler and then replaceing it with your own is a waste of money. in my opinion.

9. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Its the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 that scarys me and the available options. I have the H50 and a decent case in the furture so of course we will try to over clock it to 4ghz as strandard.

Before I even post on teh forum again I need to read through the system board manual.

10. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

reading your mobo manual should be standard with every mobo you buy :)

11. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Well Ive just spent four hours putting it all together, all items new out of the packets for first time, all cables correctly routed including the front leds and power switch to the control pins etc.

It powers on but nothing comes up on screen, I put the power in the back, press the front switch and it powers up but no video, the system board seems to fire up with the power and reset button lighting up, I note if I press the power button it starts the machine but pressing it in for a while does not seem to reset it, nor in fact does the reset button.

There are no bios bleeps.

I have tryed to reseating the cpu.

Any one have any experience with a asus p6t v2 failing to display any video or boot.

I have also tryed switching the dvi to vga converter from one to the other on the back of the gtx275 but I believe it is auto sensing enough to push video out which ever one is on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Aug 2009
  12. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

That's a shitty situation, when everything is brand new and there's no way to rule anything out. Could be a DOA CPU if it doesn't do anything at all. Could be the motherboard. If it was the GPU it would still beep and stuff, and most definitely react to the reset button. Do you have another PC at hand to test the video card?

13. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

no, im going to raise a return on the system board on monday.

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Mate, i just took a look at the pic in your edit, and it looks like the 8 pin EPS connector on the motherboard is not plugged in. Can you verify?

15. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Good eye - you're right.

16. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

that's what i thought but where is it? I can't see it anywhere

17. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Above and to the left of the CPU socket, as usual. It has a black cover thingy over half the pins though, i see how that could make it harder to spot.

18. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Anyway, this is why you test outside the case, people! :thumb:

19. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

If you want to read an update on this go to Asus forum here:

Clicky

I like posting here at BT and helping people when I can and im scared to bits im going to get ripped on this, but this is what has happend and its honest, as I am in life.

I dont want to get involved in this tbh, Ive got work to do you know.... I woke up this morning and could not face the day this is how upset I am, I pretty much stayed on the floor of my room untill 6:30pm totally depressed, I lost a heck of a lot of money yesterday.

I dont believe I will have a problem tbh in the returns of this board and worse case I will have the board repaired through the process set up by asus or I will purchase another p6t in 15 days.

Iwill say however I feel my comments are vaild on Asus website, or at least not totally out of line.

The blame does lie with me, I do know that but my comments are vaild.

Cliff note:
    How about instead of putting "instructions on how best to return a failed board on the cpu blanking plate", you actually put what is important in that valueable space "PLEASE USE A SHARP OBJECT TO LIFT METAL FRAME THEN PINCH CPU SHEILD TO REMOVE".

20. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Rainbow, what the hell are you talking about mate? Just plug that cable in already.