1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100% cpu usage

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Tolsk, 22 Jul 2006.

1. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

Ok well i posted this problem awhile ago and i found out something recently. i have a process called System taking up 80-90% cpu usage sometimes. and i used a programm called process explorer and it turns out that all the cpu usage is comming from hardware interrupts, anyone know whats up with this problem?

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

What does the task manager say? If 80-90% is being used by the System Idle process, thats normal, but if its something else and the CPU graph is at 100 constantly, then its a actual problem. Constant hardware interrupts could be caused by a device that is having a conflict or some sort of problem with your operating system. You should try disconnecting any new hardware you've installed. Did this problem start when you installed something (either hardware or software) and how long has it been going on for?

3. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

its not system idle process its "SYSTEM" i know what system idle is. and i uses process explorer and it breaks down the system process and it told me that 80% or so was going to hardware interrupts. wierd thing is this only happens if i have like wow open and try and play music but i can then close those and it doesnt go away

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Go to Device Manager, then find your disk controllers and go to their advanced properties. If they're set to PIO, then that's your problem - flip them to DMA and you should be OK.

5. hydro_electric_655

hydro_electric_655 Dremelly Dude

Juding by the way my System Idle Process reacts it's showing available System power usage. Meaning 100 is 100% available power and then goes down so at 90 it might mean that you are using 1% of the output from the system.

Thats my radnom thought.

6. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

1) We all know that already.
    2) That's not what this thread's about.

If hitman's superlative suggestion doesn't solve it, try unplugging un-necessary things one-by-one and see if it's a peripheral that's causing it.

7. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

nope i actually did have this problem for awhile but this is not the same thing.

8. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Only 100% processor usage problem I've seen before was a virus.

Try doing a scan?

Also, try going into msconfig and unticking everything in the startup tab as a test, see if you still get this strange process?

9. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

I have seen this when a MoBo goes bad - even a new MoBo from a reliable company can have an issue like this. Fortunately when it happened to me I had two identical machines so it was easy to swap parts out and eliminate possible causes like viruses or faulty peripherials.

10. Tolsk

Tolsk What's a Dremel?

i thought id might be my mobo guess i should buy a new one, need a new socket 754 mobo any good ones still left in production?

11. riluve

riluve What's a Dremel?

oh, I hope I didn't directly imply that I am certain that is the direct cause, just that is a good possibility. I just don't want you wasting money on a MoBo unless you have tried everything else first - like removing every possible thing and seeing if the issue goes away (even down to minimal RAM). Or finding another computer and basically swapping every part off of it to see if the problem moves . . . etc.

I think these are the best / fastest trouble shooting techniques when no software seems to be the candidate.

12. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

My first thought would be to boot into safe mode to see if you still have the problem there, That would help decide if it was a software or hardware fault. Also removing every peripheral would help sort things out.