1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TVs 1080p??? HELP!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ModMonkey, 29 Sep 2008.

1. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

I thought I knew stuff, I really did. Turns out I haven't got a clue.

Went out with the wife at the weekend and bought a new LG42PG6000 plasma after 2 salesmen had convinced me that it was definately FullHD 1080p. I was slightly sceptical beforehand due to the lack of advertising that the actual set had. These days if its fullHD there are stickers all over the set telling you so.

Anyways, with the assurances of the store goblins I put down the money and arranged delivery.

I haven't got it yet but decided to check it out on the interweb. Now I'm even more conerned that it isn't all it was cracked up to be.

Can someone with the knowledge of how these things work please let me know if it is FullHD? Its says it takes a 1080p signal, but that the res is 1024x768

If not I need to phone and cancel the order!

Thanks in advance

2. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Is this it?

http://uk.lge.com/products/model/detail/lcdtv_42lg6000.jhtml

Picture
    • Resolution: 1920 x 1080
    • Peak Brightness: 500cd/m2
    • Contrast Ratio: 50,000:1
    • XD Engine
    • TruMotion 100Hz
    • Intelligent Sensor

Sound
    • Output: 10W + 10W
    • SRS TruSurround XT
    • 2 Way 4 Speakers
    • Clear Voice
    • Invisible Speakers

Convenience
    • Simplink
    • Swivel Stand
    • AV Mode (Game, Sport, Movie)
    • CU:V Improved User Interface

Connectivity
    • 4 HDMI (1.3 Deep Colour), 2 SCART (1Full)
    • USB 2.0 (JPEG / MP3 Playback)
    • Component(Y,Pb,Pr) + Audio
    • RS-232C, AV In
    • Digital Audio Out (Optical)
    • PC Input
    • Composite

3. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

Though its not trueHD it is a good HDreadyTV.
    http://www.testfreaks.co.uk/tvs/lg-42pg6000/
    True HD 1080p is 1980 x 1050. Yours will scale 1080p/720p input to the 1024 x 768 resolution.
    For instance the Pioneer Kuro 42inch which is the best 42inch plasma you can buy has 1024 x 768 resolution.
    If your happy with the picture quality and price be happy with your purchase of a good TV. I'd be super pissed off at salesman for saying its TrueHD, get it returned and tell the probably uncaring dodgy manager why.

I found it for £582 including VAT & free insured courier delivery with just a quick google.
    http://www.flattelly.co.uk/shop/42pg6000-plasma-digital-ready-p-2143.html
    I'm not recommending the above site as have never purchased from it or checked out reviews.
    How much did you pay for it incl vat and delivery?

4. Denis_iii

Ouch, TV prices have dropped :) time to get one and an Xbox360. Depending on how much you paid, I'd def put a bit extra in and get the LG Scarlett 42LG6000

http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=LG-42LG6000
    £700quid
    For me, a good TV is a 5/10 year investment so a 100quid more for True HD and well scarlett beauty is well worth it. I'd go with the 5yr guarentee option for 760quid.

5. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Strange, I didn't see the TV the OP ordered on the LG website. But yeah, definitely go for the Scarlett instead.

6. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

The LG6000 is the LCD I believe. PG being the Plasma.

I'm looking at this for at least 5 years thus the hangup on TrueHD. I'm also used to a very good quality Panasonic Plasma.

I got it for £650 with 5yrs warranty which is a good price. But I wanted to spend the money on something that would take anything I throw at it for a good few years & I don't mind spending a bit more. Its got to go back I think.

7. Denis_iii

Have a look at the pioneer kuro's. Expensive but worth it.
    IMO Plasma is the way to go but TrueHD plasma's are expensive especially the kuro which I believe only do a TrueHD 50inch.
    If you were happy with the quality of the LG42PG6000 plasma then stick with it. For instance the 42inch 1024x768 kuro will provide a better HD movie experience then the truehd lg scarlett from what i've read.

Tags: