1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10k RPM HD's Worth it?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kierax, 22 Aug 2008.

1. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

My HD is on it's way out and with me having a 750GB external and only using a few games, I am tempted to plump for a 74GB raptor, what I want to know is would it be worth the cost and would I see any discernible differences in games given my pc's specification.

Intel Q6660 3.4GHZ
    4GB XMS2
    8800GTS G92

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

For similar money you can grab a top-end normal HD, which will give you similar performance. To be honest, we're all waiting on new SSD's to come down in price... :(

I'd say a 74GB Raptor isn't a bad choice, although I'm a bit biased... :p

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

well, for £50, 74GB Raptor ADAF, it'd be worth it. (bought mine from Master-Tad for £45 :) ) but they are selling £90 at OCuk. so it's not worth it.

i love my Raptor, very fast, boots a lot faster, games load also faster than my WD 500AAKS. but it's a bit noisy when i defrag at night, so depens on your idea of computing noise, you may be better off with a 1TB Sammy F1.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

10 000RPM HDD has a noticeable visual difference over the 7 200RPM, however, it's your needs that will decide if you need it, and it's worth the money. And yes they are noisier. The Volicity Raptor by W.D is the quietest of all 10k HDD's... I think it's quiet close to a normal 7200RPM HDD.

5. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

I run an Antec 1200 so noise is something I am used to, a 1TB HD would be wasted if I was to go with a normal HD, it probably would be a Samsung 250GB.

I agree for the cost at OCUK the 74GB seems steep hence the question :p

6. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

I Have 2 74gb raptors in raid 0 for the speed and performance, and there the noisiest parts in my pc, i can here them seeking while i'm in my bedroom in the room above the PC, it gets pretty stupid in some respects. When i had them watercooled in a nice big hdd block, it was sooooo nice and quiet, and yet, the speed was there, i was much happier than i am with them now. It's a shame, because they are good drives, they just need to be silenced.

Sam

7. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I threw the idea around for my new PC for raptors. But since I wanted more space rather then performance, I went with two 250gb 7200rpm WD's. Then put them in a RAID 0. Surprisingly fast, and noticeably better performance from standard single 7200rpms.

:)

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

This is the same problem i have got. I want the speed and performance of Raptor 10K's but the price aint right. And to purchase 2 normal HDD spinning at 7200RPM with 32MB of cache is faster in RAID 0 i believe, but then there would be alot of wasted space.

9. tonpal

tonpal What's a Dremel?

I have a pair of 36GB Raptors in RAID 0 (although some people may refer to it as AID 0 as there really is no redundancy) as my gaming drive and I found games loaded up really fast for about a week then I got used to it. The Raptors are good drives, never had any trouble with them, they are fast but they are also noisy.

10. Kierax

Kierax What's a Dremel?

Never looked at Raid as an option, would anyone think just a basic 74GB raptor on it's own if gotten cheaper than £100 be a good buy?

11. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

if you go for a Samsung F1 320GB it is actually 1X336GB platter so it is as dense as the 1TB models (and therefore as fast).

You can pick one up for about £35 from aria and they are faster than the raptor in some situations and certainly keep up with the raptor in every situation without bursting your ear drums or super heating your pc

12. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't know, I see a big difference here (performance only), (compared to the Velocity Raptor).
    http://www.storagereview.com/php/be...&numDrives=1&devID_0=360&devID_1=361&devCnt=2 and is more noisy than the Velocity raptor.

Maybe, the samsung F1 is better then other raptors specially for the size/performance, but compares to he Velocity, even though it has more capacity (the model above (1TB))... loses. I guess the Samsung F1 is best as a secondary drive for storage and keep -up the a higher speed then a normal, standard, 7200RPM HDD.

13. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

well that puts a new light on it! those results are completely different from what i read (cant remember where now) although the review i red was definately for the 320GB model.

i may still go for one though simply for the price/performance differential. To me the raptors have always seemed like a bit of a gimic.

14. wyx087

as i've said, look for a second hand drive (look for source that you know will work very well) 74GB Raptor for £50 is well worth every penny.

my second hand drive from Master_Tad works magically fast. bought it for £45 and totally recommend for that price.

15. EPiRATE

EPiRATE Sailing teh Interwebz

seconded
    I bought a cheap 500gb hdd for my new build, so i could save money for the new ssd's
    There's no point in buying ultra high end hdd's now, they'll be obsolete within 2 years lol

16. wyx087

74GB isn't ultra high end. 300GB VelociRaptor is ultra-highend.

speaking of VelociRaptors, if you are buying new, you can get 150GB VelociRaptor for £130 on ocuk. which IMHO is quite a bargain, considering the ultra-highend 300GB Veloci is using 150GB platers, they should perform almost the same.

17. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    I am happy with my:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

Yes its worth it, but you are going to need a new GPU soon.

enjoy.

S*D

19. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Save your money for SSD, as has been said, they will come down in price soon.

20. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I have an SSD as the primary drive in this computer. TBH, I bought it because I was fed up with the oscillation noise with two mechanical drives, so replaced one. It does it's job, no issues, slightly more responsive and cool enough to stick down your pants while operating (although I wouldn't recommend doing that.)

Not as quick as a raptor though.

Review here:
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/ocz-core-sata-64gb-solid-state-drive-review/