1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics 115v from 125v???

Discussion in 'Modding' started by PetDMC, 9 Jul 2003.

1. PetDMC

PetDMC What's a Dremel?

hi guys,

i need some help with this, i have a blower motor (AO Smith) and its meant to run at 115v but my main supply is 125v. the problem i'm have is that the motor starts to get hot (50*C+) i have a dimmer on it but it still gets hot.

now what kind of resistor should i get?

Motor spec:
    1/20 HP, 1PH, 115V, 60Hz, 2.45A
    1550 RPM, CWLE, TP, INS, CL "B", speed two

thanks

2. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

well... on the mains power you can have up to +/-10% of the voltage... (umm.. was that sentence well-formulated???)

this means that if your supply is 110volts you can have 11volts more or less.. (99 to 121 volts)

this goes for the motor aswell... that means that your motor gets 4 volts more than it REALLY can take... but in this case i really don't think it matters...

electric motors do get hot... it's normal...

if you should have a resistor on that thing you would need a pretty large one... should handle about 800watts... that is 3200 normal resistors...

i'm no expert in this field... so if anyone want to shoot me.. go ahead.. ;)

3. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The resistor needs to drop 10v at 2.45A, so only 24.5W (bang you're shot :D ).

Value will be 10/2.45 = 4R. I'd be tempted to try 3 x 12R in parallel, and use at least 15W for each to cope with the higher starting current.

They'll get stinking hot so mount them where the air can get round them but nobody can touch the leads (125v hurts)

Don't expect the motor to run cool at 115v, I agree with Smilodon there.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

umm.. yeah.. i always mix that up... anyway.. the motor itself draws abour 800W (730W=1HP plus some loss)

some of that is given out as heat... (20% IIRC)so you have a little oven there... ;)

same with monitors... people keep complaining about that they ute so much power... but ALL the power is given off as heat so... and this heat heats your house... :thumb: :)duh: )

5. PetDMC

PetDMC What's a Dremel?

holly crap :hehe:

i'll just slap on some heatsinks :hip:

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

well... heat isn't as harmful to a electric motor as it is to a CPU...

7. Amorphus

Amorphus What's a Dremel?

if this is AC you could use a transformer, too. could probably pick one up at a local electronics shop (prolly not Radioshack)

8. viridius

viridius What's a Dremel?

Just slap an inductor in there and use the reactance. No significant loss from heating.

9. hydrogen18

hydrogen18 Banned

are we talking about the mains voltage here? as in 115VAC? it should run fine on the mains if its 115 VAC.