1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU preview palooza

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 13 Aug 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. fartonmyear

fartonmyear What's a Dremel?

too messy/weird/goingaroundobstacles for me, the fps booster that is.

3. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

the booster has a very specific market such as small form factor pcs that want to run sli and it does the job well.

4. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Basically, there's only a description of one proper PSU..

I look forward to a full review when it comes.

5. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

the fsb booster seems a bit weird, there's no pci bracket or anything ? to get the power into the case - seems like a pretty weird decision, but at least it works, personally i don't like that solution

the cables coming out the back of the psu usually aren't seen, and you can still do a good job at hiding them with them like that

Last edited: 13 Aug 2006
  6. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Was thinking that myself!

Not that I need one, but if I were, I'd be removing the entire front bezel/lights if possible. Looks hideous :waah: I'd definitely prefer to have it mounted a little further back, un-seen behind a bezel. Could mod a custom grille and mount a fan into the case bezel if needed... Though I'd imagine one could find a 5.25" HDD top-mount cooler for it too :naughty:

Also, thinking about it .. the Hyper seems a bit funny in design. Surely it'd be a better idea to see right-angled connectors in with it, as an option? Even if it was a bit more to buy, it'd make it all the more compatible. :eyebrow:

Last edited: 13 Aug 2006
  7. Marquee

Marquee Mac Pro Modder

The Hiper Type R II PSU looks intersteting. But I am kinda 50/50 happy with the PSU connections be right under the PSU. I hope this PSU is quit like the past Type R.

8. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

Though having the connections on the bottom/top of the PSU like that might be good for accessibility, it makes wire management a living hell :blah:

9. Tim S

Tim S OG

I was thinking the same thing to be honest... idea is great, but in practice it might make more nightmares than it has solved.

10. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

Depends on your case. On mine I have a 12x13 Mobo, so there isn't a ton or room between the PSU and the 5.25" bays and both have cables coming out the back competing for space. I think when i go quad SLi I'm going to take a hard look at that Type R.

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

*******s copying my idea about using audio leads like that! ARGH! I used an 8 pin plug for an ethernet connector but my soldering skills werent good enough 2 years ago to do my PSU at the time!
    /patent/patent/patent/patent/patent/patent/patent/patent/patent/patent

12. Tulatin

The only real "advantage" it has is for tweakers who are always in their CASE. For those of us running a test bench, this thing also eats up a lot of room. I mean i have a whole lotta room behind the PSU, but not much beside it - there's opticals and HDDs and watery bits there...

13. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Erm, the pins are located in the PSU, unlike the older hyper.. where the pins were in the plugs.

Surely thats an electric shock risk, should someone find their fingers probing around the PSU while its turned on ?

14. yahooadam

o_O

good spot, althought it may not be too harmful, as its 12v, and not that high a wattage ... actually ... hmm i dunno

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It's amps that kill. It depends how you touched the thing, but it could do anything from burn a finger to put you in the hospital. Of course, you shouldn't exactly be probing around there when your system is *on*.

I'll assume the final one includes some sort of plastic cover for those. It wouldn't make sense to even have it that way unless the female connectors were shorter than the male ones, which would make for less bulky connectors on the outside.

16. zoot2boot

zoot2boot What's a Dremel?

i always leave my pc on and pluged in when i work on it. less risk of a harmful static discharge that way. doubt a computer power supply could deliver much more than a burn.

17. Tulatin

They don't mean static discharge.

In the Hiper units, the +12V, +5V, +3.3V and GND pins are exposed within the DIN connectors. If you're like me, a guy who feels around for the plug before plugging something in, there's a good chance that you'll stick a finger in and connect those poinst through the skin. Now, one, you will shut the system down - you hope, and two, considering closed quarters, you'll likely jerk your hand back and slice it open on the edge of the optical rack. Get the picture?

18. yahooadam

that's 1 way to do it, but then your meant to keep 1 hand on the chassis all the time, to make sure your earthed

a proper earthing strap is a much better idea

19. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

Skin has a pretty high resistance - unless you're poking around inside your computer with really sweaty hands, the shock won't be much more substantial than you'd get from a 9V battery (the poles in the sockets seem a similar distance apart) and the resistance would be too high to allow enough current flow to burn.

They do have safety standards for these things...

You could just do with leaving the supply plugged in but with the mains switch on the machine or wall off. Avoids breaking things with juice flowing through them but maintains a ground connection (the off switch will only cut one pole, not the earth).

20. -Xp-

-Xp- Minimodder

Most likely, Hiper are taking the "if you don't like the plugs on the bottom, buy the older model" approach. Which is fair enough.

Tags: Add Tags