1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The MMO's to challenge Warcraft

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 31 Aug 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. Solidus

Solidus Superhuman

Iv been following the warcraft franchise for a while since wc2, wc3 -ROC and the wc3tft expansion and was part of the betas for world of warcraft when it was in production.
    I could have told you world of warcraft isnt going to be knocked off the top spot but i doubt anyone would have believed me :p
    It really is an amazing accomplishment and has raised the standard far beyond i have ever seen or experienced in gaming.

Personally i think its success is down to blizzard and the warcraft history. They have created an amazing back story and history for the universe to exist in and give it actual meaning for the players and something to relate everything to.

An amazing game an experience!

3. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

the only problem i see with probably all of these games is, you get to x level then the last say 10-20 levels take the same amount of exp to level up as it took to get you to 10-20 levels off the top. making you go out and do mindless killing for hours apon hours, then wanting to kill your self at the end of the session becasue you didnt level up.

Tabula Rasa sounds good, ive always perfered sci-fi magicness like anarchy online to the whole elf stuff.
    im not sure about its fps aspect though, it depends how they go about servers really, anarchy online had about 3 major servers with the whole gaming world on and most people played on the first server. they had to have lots of diffrent areas unlike wow, but lag was still a pretty big problem alot of the time and that would effect the fps aspect of this new game if they stick with that server setup.

my brother has been raving about the conan one alot and about its combat system saying its more based around what someone could really do with a sword and that you control it more than just pressing 1 and 2 alot to do special attacks but ive not really read up on it.

i think the warhammer one will be great though, i was following its production back before it got stopped and they were pretty close to a beta then, its good to see its been picked up again, i think a diffrent company is making it this time though so im not sure if they've been working from scratch or using the previous companys stuff.

it should be great though they were talking about starting with a cerain area of the warhammer world taken off the maps made for it and what not, then expantions adding new areas till they have most/all of the warhammer world.

warhammer 40000 would have made a better mmo though :D

4. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

I like the look of the LOTR based game, tho i'd be more interested in the Startrek/Stargate games.

5. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

I think people will eventually get bored of them. I prefer smaller communities where you can start to get to know alot of the people you play with. I'm looking forward to Never Winter Nights 2 andthe countless mods that'll be made for it.

Wow just got too old too fast for me.

6. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

I think the Lord Of The Rings: Shadows of Angmar, looks like the best one of the lot. I'm going to try out the beta, and it's getting a lot of great reviews from alpha testers.

7. Agent_M

Agent_M Minimodder

oh, alil bit more on topic, none of them will beat wow, its too well established and is easy to learn for a new gamer.
    theres also the whole bit where its almost imposoble to play more than one mmo, but thats mostly a social thing. play wow, get friends in wow, try new game, know no one in it, go back to wow to be with your friends.

in wow i got a paladin to about 45 then stopped playing for about 6 months as it jut got really tedious, when i went back to it i got my paladin to about 58, then got bored again nad i no longer have an account. but i know people with like 5 level 60s and things like that.
    personaly ive never gotten a character to the top level in a mmo before, i just cant justify the lack of fun in grinding exp for days so i stop.

8. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

I've recently got obsessed with wow agian. lvl 60 here i come... However, as soon as stargate worlds is releaced (and i really hope it does get there) I predict I will move straight over to that.

9. Orca

Orca What's a Dremel?

Holy crap that would be awesome if they did! But it probably would turn into Planetside or something :S

I think for me Stargate sounds interesting... and out of those mentioned in the article I'd probably give Warhammer a shot if/when open beta comes out. Until then it's back to WoW... :duh:

And then there's Phantasy Star Universe! I know I know not "really" an MMO but still :p

10. MiNiMaL_FuSS

MiNiMaL_FuSS ƬӇЄƦЄ ƁЄ ƇƠƜƧ ӇЄƦЄ.

Are there to be any more FREE mmorpgs though?

11. Rich_13

Rich_13 What's a Dremel?

yeah a stargate mmo game would be cool although I think it would have to be a vast game to keep up with being accurate to the series.

Atlantis would prob not have enough depth yet as it's still new but then again that could leave them on be a bit more creative...

12. Jokkocze

Jokkocze What's a Dremel?

WoW is crap.. it made SoE ruin Galaxies..

13. Leitchy

Leitchy Minimodder

Eve Online ***

14. RotoSequence

RotoSequence Lazy Lurker

Im with Leitchy on this - and with the content that is going to be added to EVE over the next year, I think it deserved some recognition in the article; new ships, new elements of gameplay, new items, new ways to enhance almost everything in an already excellent game makes this game, in my opinion, more than a match for WoW.

15. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

I'm not really into MMORPG. Always fantasy worlds, except for some. I prefer FPS...less thinking involved. ^^

BTW, tabula rasa URL is broken : erul instead of eurl...

16. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

nice roundup of some great MMO's to be released. Ive been following Warhammer Online for a while and have a news site for it www.battleofwar.com
    I think the major selling point of WAR will be its RvR(PvP) aspect of the game.
    I am going to check it out at gamesday 2006 in birmingham on 24th september too :)

17. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Must say Stargate sounds AWESOME.

Big stargate fan.

Also I think MMORPGs need to focus a bit more on PvP and also have more events, for instance in Lord of the Rings, have a monthl massive struggle for a stronghold against the Orcs.

Something like how Chromehounds is played on the xbox but also mixed with skirmishing in a vast world.

I do like the sound of the Pirates of the Burning Sea though, with the struggles for ports and what not.

18. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I may be switching from WoW to Pirates, if the ship-creation system is flexible enough...

19. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Pirates looks cool, going to follow that one for sure. Nothing to make me leave WoW at the moment though.

20. koola

koola Minimodder

No mention of Guild Wars :(

I'm hooked on GW atm, but I just ordered EVE Online. Looks great!

Tags: Add Tags