1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

POTM [12/07] POTM: December is Red

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by Nexxo, 18 Dec 2007.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

Not exactly a white Christmas this year, but still pretty... :)

Slight blurring (I really need to get myself a tripod) and slight blow-out at the top (I really need to get a graduated filter...). Otherwise not bad for an unplanned shot.

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Wow. Is that natural color? I ask because some of the ground areas look red, as well.

I'm really not bothered by the slight blow out at the top. The highlights don't seem overly blown, and the vivid color immediately draws the eye down. The color is great, the composition is pleasantly simple, and the resulting image just works. I wouldn't mind seeing a bit more detail in the trees, but since the subject is clearly the red leaves, I'm not that bothered about it.

Nice job.

-monkey

3. Major

Major Guest

Aye looks photoshopped. :p

Nice pic.

4. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

Woah, great shot man. Nice use of the colour. What time of day was this?

5. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Late evening light?
    Very nice reds. Actually the colors are brilliant. But lacking in composition if I may be so direct. (look who's McTalking ;) )

6. Nexxo

It was sunset at the time, with frosty, hazy atmosphere as it was a cold winter evening. If the sky was not quite so bright in the image, it would have shown the pale orange it was in real life. This gave the otherwise burnt orange leaves a deep reddish hue, and that was what drew me to take a picture. I also set white balance for shadow, which boosts the warmer colours.

However in the upper left you can see a bit of green grass for comparison. :)

7. OleJ

OleJ Me!

Impressed with how well you know your camera settings :) It's taken me 5 months to learn that low aperture means low dof and vice versa :D

8. ajack

ajack rox

The red leaves on the ground look nice and all but the massive over-reddening of the whole thing detracts from it a lot imho, especially on the branches which don't look like they have red leaves, more that the branches are red themselves, far too much saturation I think.

9. Nexxo

The branches don't have any leaves. It is the sky behind them that was orange (sunset + haze). That is also what caused the reddening of the scene... I could dial down the saturation but that would lose the whole point of the picture.

It messes with your mind because you expect forrests to be green. :)

10. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I must say I normally hate 'nature' shots but I actually really like this one.. My only issues are the same as you brought up...

Good work dude!

11. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

I do love this picture especially how the red of the leaves looks un-natural

12. OleJ

OleJ Me!

I gotta say that the red ringing around the branches really gets to me... But the leaves on the ground look sooo good. I dunno... Personally I'd try cropping all above the grey background tree line away and then remove just a slight in the bottom. Giving an extreme wide but also very interesting composition with the trees sticking up from the red ground like scattered poles.

Sorry if I'm too harsh. Trying hard not to be :)

13. Nexxo

No worries. :) All points of view are valuable. I think one of the problems is that I didn't have a tripod, which made the shot less sharp than it should have been.

Tags: