1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling 120mm Fans and RPM monitoring

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ShagBeard, 23 Nov 2004.

1. ShagBeard

ShagBeard What's a Dremel?

hey guys, im looking for a couple new fans to make a duct for my CPU and XP120. im trying to find reasonably quiet fans (around 35 dBA or less) that still put out plenty of cooling power. i found a nice panflo with an advertised CFM of 88.5 at a dBA of 35.5, but it does not offer RPM monitoring.

what exactly are the benfits of having RPM monitoring? only to allow programs like MBM5 to tell you how fast your fan is spinning? anything else?

also, do you have any fans to recommend? im looking for reasonably quiet yet some what powerful, like maybe 70CFM and above and 35dBA and below. i know that doesnt leave many to choose from, but i dont wanna be kept up all night either.

2. JuMpErFLY

JuMpErFLY Minimodder

If using rpm monitoring for the cpu fan some bioses can automatically shut down the pc. Other than that there's no real benefit. I'd suggest the YS-Tech at the bottom of this page. 40.5dB but could be reduced using a zalman fanmate thingy or a fan controller.

3. tk421

tk421 Idiot.

4. cool_dude

cool_dude Minimodder

Looked at SilentX Fans, they do a 14DBa @ 65-70CFM
    There slightly expensive though...

5. Risky

Risky Modder

I don't think the SilentX offer RPM monitoring.

Papst do if the model has a /2 in the code. Some Panaflos too and all the Noiseblocker fans.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

In fact a lot of the Panaflos do. It is just that they often come with a two-wire tail fitted, rather than a three-wire (RPM sensing) tail. No matter, because unlike with many fans the tail can actually be unplugged and swapped for a three-wire one (PerformancePCs.com sells them).

7. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

hey nexxo, Would you mind doing me a favour? I just spent half an hour scouring performance-pcs.com and i cant find those panaflo leads. Do you have a link? or should i email them? I have been thinking about making my own up but dont know where to get the little 3 pin connecter that panaflo use at the fan end of the cable (actually ... i just thought maybe the connections out of a cathode connector will fit, they about the same size except 2 pin)

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Here. They also do one with a 4 pin molex. :thumb:

9. theflinger

theflinger What's a Dremel?

can't you change the RPM without that wire using SpeedFan?

If you knew the regular RPM, you could figure out what speed it was running at since speedfan uses percentages :thumb:

10. fivecheebs

fivecheebs Dont panic!

Thnaks a bunch dude :)

Tags: