1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Pre-order Playstation 3 sells out

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 11 Oct 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. Gordy

Gordy Evil Teddy

And how many were people ordering them now are planning on putting them on ebay for a massive profit....

3. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

Oh no, the Xbox 360 is in trouble now!

:/

Last edited: 11 Oct 2006
  4. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

its not exactly hard to sell out when i'd imagine some stores only have 1 console anyway

5. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

And of that allocation, two for every store can be purchased by staff.

6. Swafeman

Swafeman Minimodder

OH NOE!!!11

10 ps3s per store of the biggest retailer in the country? :\

surely there were more 360s? 10 doesnt seem a lot, at all.

7. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

To be honest Gamestop kept the whole Pre-Order deal under wraps. It wasn't until around midnight that an email went out to users on their mailing list of the Oct 10th Pre-Order for the PS3. And I guess some stores called their preferred customers about the Pre-Order while telling others "We don't know, but tomorrow we will have some info". I was able to get a Pre-Order in the Gamestop down the street. I was the Second Pre-Order for the store, which was taking up to 16. There was no crazy line, noone camping out since the day before (The first guy there had showed up 2hrs before the store opened). And even when the store opened only about 7 of us were there for Pre-Orders. It was different from store to store though, especially in New York City. Apparently Ebay has been removing any auctions for Playstation 3s from their site. Yahoo and Craiglist though still have auctions listed.

Don't let the Pre-Order thing mislead you. Because of the 360 debacle Gamestop only took the small limited amount of in-store Pre-Orders and probably set aside a quantity for Online ordering (in ripoff bundle style).

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

how many are for the online sector of these stores?

Think about the Japanese market, Sonys home territory and they get only 20% of launch allocation.

9. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

Of course you could also see why gamestop have done the pre order thing this way, approx 40,000 preorders with a $100 deposit. thats $4 million for selling nothing, lots of loverly cash to go into a nice high intrest account for 2 months to earn more cash. the accountants will love them.

10. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

missleading numbers and thousens of $ of profit for these guys once they put it in online auctions.

11. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Just like new cars: Never buy from the first batch of a new model - too many bugs still to work out.

12. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

This is even less impressive than the 360 sellout. MS had supply worldwide with higher numbers than this. If people moaned about the engineered shortage of the 360 what are they going to think of the PS3?

13. M4RTIN

M4RTIN What's a Dremel?

probably nothing. nobody really moaned about the ps2 shortages and they wont about the ps3 either. its sony at the end of the day. to 99% of the public they can do no wrong with regards consoles

14. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

It's hard to tell. I can kind of see why there are production issues with Sony's inclusion of Blue-Ray. Microsoft and Sony are drawing from the same resource for diodes (or was it another part that both players use?) for the drives, so yeah that can cause a problem between both pushing HD-DVD and Blue Ray respectively (HD-DVD add on for 360, then a Standalone, Blue-Ray inclusion for PS3, and then Standalone).

15. sadffffff

sadffffff Minimodder

16. Bladestorm

Bladestorm What's a Dremel?

17. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Wow. That's a hefty profit for not much work.

[Edit]HOLY EXPLETIVE! I thought it was $1k not $1M!!![/Edit]

Anyways, how many people will buy a console from gamestop? People are going to flock to the large stores. Circuit city, best buy, walmart, target, etc. The large stores will probably throw the consoles into bundles with a game or two to raise initial profits knowing that people will bite no matter what.

Gamestop selling out is NOT accurate portrayal of events to come. A lot of consoles will be sold. Parents will buy it to spoil their children, fanboy gamers will buy it to brag to their friends that they were the first in line, and reasonable persons will purchase it as well for various other reasons.

The thing is, Sony is going to take a hit for each and every console they sell. If things go wrong or people are unhappy with their machines, sales will drop, support will drop, and Sony's going to have a debacle on their hands.

18. Darkedge

Darkedge Minimodder

Nope only Sony needs the blue diodes for their Bluray drive so MS has no supply problems this time round... only poor Sony

This is just marketing spin, and I've heard that up to 2/3ds of all preorders have been bought for sale on. Thats a terible statistic for sony really.

19. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

Every single one of them, if the buyer has any sense. However ebay are closing all auctions that start before a week (i think, can't remember exactly) before they ship because of their 'in posession of goods' rule.

As or the shortages being hype, i don't think we can really use those guestimates as proof either way but i think it's safe to assume there's a lot of 'marketting' involved.

20. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

Darkedge - i though HD-DVD also used blue diodes for the lasers too? or am i wrong?

not the same as blu-ray maybe, but im sure its not a red laser diode

Tags: Add Tags