1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sapphire Radeon X1950 Pro

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by The_Pope, 17 Oct 2006.

1. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

2. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Ohhhh nice, I think I will hold off on judging this as the card I will get untill I actually start building mine.

3. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Glad to see they've finally got a decent crossfire implementation going, without any of that master/slave nonsense. As you say, it makes crossfire a realistic proposition now, and (potentially) a useful upgrade path. Don't go losing that Crossfire bridge now!

However, for me it would still be the 7900 GS - I'd get a non-OC one and OC it myself. It would be cheaper than the x1950 pro, with broadly similar performance (I don't play Oblivion). In any event, I'm still holding on to see what the next couple of months throws our way. Story of my life!

4. Nature

Nature Minimodder

I want this card to make me apple fritters. But it still can't taste like Yugoslovian canned beef, which tastes surprisingly like dog.... hmmmm

I too am glad that crossfire is Nvidiously conveinient now. In my opinion ATi has always been the master of the single GPU arms race, now dos' amigos in the metal box haaha.

5. bright_

bright_ What's a Dremel?

Quite tempted, bud with DX10 round the corner and me having to upgrade in April anyhow (using parts to build a system for a friend for his wedding present) then there really is no point. Pity though, crossfire owuld have been interesting :)

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

now this implementation of crossfire seams to be good.... i hope it has legs to walk to the new DX10 graphics cards...... :D

7. rikbikboo

rikbikboo What's a Dremel?

quite annoying that they didnt fit the 1950xtx with that sli connector i am still relegated to using a cable to connect the two dogonnit

8. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Finally ATI got the idea with the cross connect connectors. I actually like the look of the new crossfire setup. Interesting to see what Nvidia's response to this will be.

Good move ATI, once again impressed :thumb:

9. sl1xx

sl1xx What's a Dremel?

im lovin i think its worth waiting for dx10 tho...it will be nice to see crossfire set up with dx10 cards
    :D

10. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Looks nice.

Bloody aweful name though, ATi have reached their goal of confusing users on names.

11. Austin

Austin Minimodder

:thumb: I'd have prefered to see stock 7900GS, 7900GT & 7950GT rather than vendor specific OC/Extreme versions. In fact forget 7900GT altogether and throw in a 7900GTO! Anyway it's great to see X1950Pro comes with a decent Crossfire implimentation at long last, they could even have one up on SLI if they enable it on virtually any chipset too. It's a pity X1950Pro seems so close to the core limit at stock, esp considering how well 7900GS tend to o/c; 450mhz to around 600mhz (> 30%!). For a little more cash there's X1900XT_256MB, 7900GTO & 7950GT which means a lot of choices for us consumers!

12. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I think the new crossfire just finalized my current stance the ATI is the way to go for most gamers(unless they can afford 2 7950GX2s). I hope the all of the DX10 cards have that crossfire implementation, because by the time I can upgrade, they will be out already. I think ATI is moving forward a lot to solve their problems, without sacrificing performance on cards!

13. Panos

Panos Minimodder

That's a great card. Could someone please tell me where they sell them with the price posted on the review? Or is an estimate?

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

X1950XTX development was already too far down the road, since it's based on a tweaked version of the R580 core. :)

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

16. atanum141

atanum141 I fapped to your post!

quick question about power usage.

using 2 of these cards in Crossfire, there should be no issues using a 480w Sli psu is there?

also if i get two of these how would these compare to a 7800GTX?

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

I've not done any CrossFire testing just yet - working on that this week. However, X1950 Pro CrossFire should be a bit slower than 7800 GTX SLI but it's going to be about 75% faster than a single 7800 GTX. That's depending on resolution of course.

Having said that though, if you're looking to spend close to £300 on video cards now, I think you should wait. ;)

18. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Damn you Tim, when am I going to be able to buy a card, When your ;) keeps coming up?

19. LuitvD

LuitvD What's a Dremel?

this will defenately be my graphics card soon :D give me two weeks, and I'll show it to you :)

going for the ASUS or the Powercolor version (the one with the Arctic Accelero X2 installed already)

20. Hovis

Hovis What's a Dremel?

I wouldn't buy anything too hastily graphics card wise at the mo. Whether the G80 turns out to be any good or not it's still going to decimate the prices on existing cards.

Tags: Add Tags