1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Steam gets Civilized

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 25 Oct 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

This is a good thing! :thumb:
    The digital distribution model is by far the future and I'm glad to see more publishers embracing it. I would prefer it if Valve spin off Steam as an independent service and seperated the sales and game server functions, but I think this will happen in time.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Love steam, it's fantastic, much better than other digital distribution software I've used like EA dowloader, so more games is never a bad thing IMO.

4. LoveJoy

LoveJoy What's a Dremel?

I think that valve should publish more games in CD/DVD so you can buy them from stores. Still as Cthippo said, it's the future. I don't have anyting agains it, but i dont have internet bank account so it's littlebit tricky to get some games.

5. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

What I like about steam is that it uses USA prices, so for us brits it's alot cheaper to buy some games off steam even after tax since the price is cheaper and theres no shipping and handling costs. £20 for HL2: Ep1? I think not.

Most of Valve's games you can get on CD/DVD anyway, even stuff like DoD: S and CS: S (although you'd be hard pushed to find that in a shop that isn't online).

What annoys me is that you have to use a credit card to pay, but if they add stuff like Maestro support then the price would probably change to US price + tax + ROB for the UK.

6. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

I've not bought it yet coz I've been waiting to see if any shops discount it.

I think I'll leave it until Christmas and if it's not cheap in the sales, I'll go with Steam.

I do love Steam though. If it weren't for Steam I wouldn't have GTi Racing and Xpand Rally :eek:

7. Salazaar

Salazaar What's a Dremel?

Damn right, £7 for Defcon! You really can't argue with prices like that.

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Agree: Steam is the future. But why the hell does HL2 still cost 60$? How old is it? 2 years? 3 years? Wooha, forgot that there's CS:S, DoD:S and whatthef00k:S in the package... haven't those been for free for ages?
    And yea it's nice to just download a game and be ready to play... but if it's a game everybody wants... hello 20k! I'm not talking about whether they should lower their prices as you don't get a box or stuff, just the game, not even on a CD/DVD. Still having retail prices... :eyebrow:

9. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I was just about to bring up the Defcon price. I pre-ordered and after tax it was about £4, barginous ;)

10. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

nope you still need to pay for DoD: S and CS: S. That is one of the problems with steam, there isn't really much of a discount sometimes, although with the big half-life packages you can save huge amounts of money, that is if you want everything.

I got HL2: GotY edition for £18, that got me HL2, HL1: S and CS: S and HL2: DM for cheaper that it would've been on steam. That $60 deal is still damn good for what you get saying it's just over £35.

The source versions of DoD and CS have never been free AFAIK, apart from betas and free weekends that is.

11. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

True, now you can download an entire game, legal pay less in distribution costs since there is no physical product. Have it downloaded in an hour or so which is about how long it takes to buy it in the store and rush home to install it. Better than that it automatically updates itself. Better than that there is no disk to lose or get scratched. And if your pc gets wiped out. You can download it all again. It has taken a while but steam is getting better little by little. :hip:

12. J-Mag

J-Mag What's a Dremel?

Only problem with digital distribution is that you can't sell you old copies if you are bored with them.

13. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Speaking of those 2 are they worth it or only if you have a steering wheel?

The only complaint I have with steam is when you get the huge list of games you have to look through, if they would let you sort them how you wanted then I would be happy. The automatic updates thing I have learned to like over time too, havent gotten an update that broke a game for months.

14. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Is that really a problem though. You could always give your login details to someone else. Also I am never comfortable buying a game with a serial that someone else has previously owned. Tricky buisness.

15. crayfish

crayfish Amazing scenes!

They're quite playable on a pad. Xpand Rally has a sim mode and an arcade mode, which affects the handling. GTi Racing is arcadey and easily playable on keys. Both are good with a wheel though.

16. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

I think Steam is a really good distribution model, but they should really make it into a separate company and make sure to keep the client light so that if you want to use it for just Civ IV or something like that it won't be too cluttered. Props to valve for starting that new distribution model :thumb:

17. xrain

xrain Minimodder

Hl2 is $30, DoD:S is $20 CS:S is $20, They have never been free (legally anyways) :p But that $60 pack includes hl2, hl2:E1, cs:s, DoD:s, hl2:dm and hl:s
    so yea...

I'm just happy they have Phsyconauts...

Tags: Add Tags