1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Apple music download copy protection cracked

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 25 Oct 2006.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. pman

pman What's a Dremel?

He didn't actually reverse engineer it. He wrote it from scratch to mimic the way FairPlay works, thus making iPods read it etc. It's entirely legal in other words.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Monique also said: "What he did was basically reverse-engineer FairPlay"

4. AlexB

AlexB Web Nerd

Sounds good. Nice work.

5. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

I guess this is not an entirely black or white hat operation. So tip your grey to johansen. :hip: We are all quite sick of companies making software and other devices proprietary or for use only with certified products. :eyebrow:

6. DreamTheEndless

DreamTheEndless Gravity hates Bacon

He did actually Reverse Engineer it -

And, it is entirely legal to reverse engineer software if you do it in the correct manor. (If you've ever seen source code for a product, you are no longer able to reverse engineer that product, but if you look at it from the outside to figure out what it does and write new code based on that, that is reverse engineering.)

7. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

Other than the fact that its still got DRM I see this as a good thing.

8. Votey

Votey What's a Dremel?

"We believe we're on good legal ground, and our attorneys have given us the green light on this."

:)

Of course your attorneys gave you the green light to get yourself sued, they get paid by the hour. :duh:

9. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

LMAO, good point. Finally a way to open up at least some of that 'mac' incompatability.

10. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

It's a start, but unless it allows me to buy music without DRM attached, I have no interest whatsoever.

11. Charles1

Charles1 What's a Dremel?

yeah but as an intern in a law firm some firms wont charge unless they win the case. Though you are still responsible for any court fees. which round up the 1/3 rule when sueing. you sue for the priciple amount but you add to it then the other third to pay court fees and the other third to pay lawyer. hence 1/3 rule when you sue. back to the point i say good job its time apple gets some stress but its also my opinion and hate apple even though there IPOD's are so slick looking.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

this is a good thing :D

13. Constructacon

Constructacon Constructing since 1978

My thoughts exactly. It'll be good though for the many people who want to use iTunes but would rather have different player.

14. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

Fixed.

15. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Replace "I" with... anyone else... and maybe. I won't touch iTunes' paid content (or any other non-AllOfMP3 music storE) for that reason.

But I know what you meant ;)

16. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

i think this is good, and i dont think its gonna hurt apple

i think itunes is the easiest to use when purchasing tracks, ive bought over 30tracks. but i dont have an ipod. i have a sony 6gb mp3 player (sound quality destroys apples) and at the moment im burning my new songs to cd then ripping them back in sonic stage

it would be very nice to be able to put them straight on my sony, id probably start buying even more songs

17. quack

quack Minimodder

Have some people completely misunderstood the point of this?

They aren't stripping Apple's DRM off so you can use downloads from iTunes on other players, they're going to allow other companies to add DoubleTwist's DRM to their tracks so iPod users have somewhere that isn't iTunes to buy music from.

Also... he will also licence his technology to other devices so you can purchase and download from iTunes but play them on something that isn't an iPod.

It'll only hurt Apple in as far as iPod owners aren't restricted ONLY to iTunes, but they'll still be selling iPods... OR they won't sell some people iPods but will still sell them tracks from iTunes. Either way, they make some money.

Last edited: 26 Oct 2006
  18. Rockfan

Rockfan What's a Dremel?

Here's the perfect tool for DRM'ed audio! :rock:

Tags: Add Tags