1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ballmer says "Linux stole our IP"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 17 Nov 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

sour grapes.
    hes just mad cause he knows linux will make his job obsolete before he's ready to retire.

3. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

The only thing that surprises me is the size of blinders he must be wearing. How many of MS's "innovations" existed in others OSs (right back to CP/M, Mac, Unix, OS/2) before M$ used them? I'm still dabbling with Linux but from what I see there's a LOT more innovation going on there (mostly due to the OPEN source nature).

Maybe MS should buy Symantec - they don't play well with others either.

"A partner is what you call someone before you back-stab them and take their stuff" - Grand Nagus Steve

Also see rules 21, 47, 48, 76, 242, 263 here

4. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Well It looked good, Of course Ballmer is being balmy now, Lets see how this shapes up, MS took on a major player It looks like. I was hoping for something better, Not bitter. MS must be really scared of Linux and the Penquin. Sounds like someone needs a bat for their bellfry. ;)

If MS can sue the Linux OS then, Who's next Apple? :eek:

5. Nikumba

Nikumba Minimodder

I have used both Linux and MS products and Linux will not replace windows on the desktop for years to come. It is in my opioin still too geeky/elitist.

The fact it will also cost more for a company to hire linux trained guys than window trained guys.

I will agree Linux in the server environment is good, we use it as our mail platform, but for other things I dont like it for DNS/DHCP Windows is still best at the graphical mangemnt of those services, and Im sure Linux is just as capable but it lacks the GUI that we all like.

Kimbie

6. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Is it just me, or is MS getting desperate. I think they smell competition and they are determined to take it out ANY WAY THEY CAN. I also happen to think that if MS had any evidence which would hold up in court they would have used it long ago. I was starting to think that MS is getting nicer. I was obviously wrong. They are still the evil, moneygrabbing bas***** we know and hate. They don't seem to care that linux is aiding the evolution of IT as an industry.

IMHO

-ed out

7. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

I agree, Just when I thought MS was going to play nice without Bill at the Helm and Balmer goes off the deep end, He's just plain NUTS.

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Good business managers know you don't give the competition ANY leeway to maximise your profits and to keep market share. It's all about the shareholders at the end of the day.

9. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

@Bindibadgi: I suppose it comes back down to the whole "business ethics" debate...

-ed out

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

And business ethics comes down to what will people put up with. If you can get away with it, if nobody cares, then even in the general scheme of things it's morally or ethically questionable but makes you money, you do it. Most major businesses and sucessful businesses get to where they are by being ruthless.

11. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Which is why I feel the need to speak out against it and urge other people to do the same.

-ed out

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

If you every tried something like IPCop you'd know how much a fool you are making of yourself by saying this...

OT: I allways tought MS stole TCP/IP from BSD, but I'm not sure where I found that...

13. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

IIRC, didn't MS steal most of windows ideas from an earler os?
    I bet some of vista was stolen from linux , Firefox's tabs anyone?

14. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

They appearently used that line of reasoning with "plays for sure"

Tags: Add Tags