1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 400,000 Wiis sold on Japanese launch day

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Garside, 4 Dec 2006.

1. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

So thats 1million sold already globally.

3. flabber

flabber What's a Dremel?

Very nice Wii :D

The one and only reason I'm waiting to get one myself is because I want to see what kind of online-future Nintendo has planned for the Wii. The PS3 and 360 have a pretty strong online plan, and have already a few games in store that can be played online.

If Nintendo's Wii has similar games (online Zelda, Mario, Metroid or something? Syphon Filter perhaps?), I'm definately going to get one! I like the graphics of the 360, but I refuse to pay 10,- a month just to be able to play online. An MMORPG requires another 10-14 bucks a month, which nearly doubles the price. When you play a PC or PS3/PS2 game online, you don't pay that first 10,- for starters.

If Wii has a similar online plan as the PS2/PS3/PC, I'm buying one for sure :)
    Just the new way of playing (nunchuck) is enough actually :p

4. Nezodon

Nezodon What's a Dremel?

Out of the Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3 i would go for the Wii in all honesty because i love what they are doing in terms in changing the way players interact with the game rather than just really upping performance.

Though that said im not really a console person but i would certainly like to try out the Wii and see if it grabs me as it seems like the Wii could make for interesting party idea's having a group of freidns round and lots of alcohol playing games against each other.

5. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

hmmm...

360 is for gamers,
    ps3 is for fanbois,
    wii are for the people.

6. flabber

flabber What's a Dremel?

I'm not so sure if the ps3 is for fanboys... maybe right now, but the Playstation had/has loads of good games, which a lot of people are waiting for. I think the PS3 needs more time to prove itself to the public, and I think dev's need to get acustomed to the new way of coding games.

The Wii is a clear winner in innovative gaming, and it didn't change a whole lot regarding the way dev's have to code a game. But I think the PS3 needs about a year to get things rolling. After all, what the Wii did on the outside, the PS3 did on the inside. 360 is nothing more then a loud powerplant; good graphics and nice games, but not really anything innovative imho ;)

7. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

it's funny people are saying that, yet so far the only compelling reason to buy one is zelda - a game that was meant to be the gamecube's swansong.

don;t get me wrong - i'll be getting mine on launch day with zelda, but as for proving that it can innovate? i think it still has its work cut out for it. not that it's not possible - the DS was hardly an enticing proposition at launch, either.

8. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Wait till a Star Wars game comes out...if Zelda doesn't get people buying the Wii, light saber action damn well will ;).

<A88>

9. Chuff_72

Chuff_72 What's a Dremel?

Sorry dude, Syphon Filter is a Sony IP.

And with the 360 Microsoft has provided a very competant, 5yr life span console without hyperbole, that works very well.

The innovation comes from Xbox Live, having only signed up recently I have been blown away with how smooth it works, tells you which frinds are online, lets you know what everyone else is up to and allows invites to games to be sent/received even when in a different game. It's an extremely accomplished service. Sony's PNS, while free, will take some considerable work to be as user friendly, and more importantly, stable as Live.

As for the Wii, well I already own a Gamecube, so I don't fancy spending £180 on a new controller, my flat is too small and cluttered for four idiots to be waving arms everywhere and we're already got two 360's plus Gears of War, so, no room for the Wii I'm afraid.

10. Chuff_72

...damn it! You're probably right! Sod my 360 I wanna be the new Star Wars Kid!

11. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

I'm quite impressed with the ammount of machines Ninty managed to churn out and the fact that they have sold them all so far with demand still exceeding supply.

What will be a real test of the console though is if the sales figures continue at a good rate and the uptake of the general public is good, as lets face it, the current purchasers are most likley to be us geeks and the fanboys.

12. mmorgue

mmorgue What's a Dremel?

THAT just made my day!! :D

13. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

I wont be getting on just yet as there is no game on the WII that makes me want it.

I just rushed my desicion to buy a 360 for xmas because of Gears of War & Rainbow Six Vegas. I wasnt planning on getting a 360 for maybe another 6 months but those 2 games made me want it now.

When there is a game on the WII that makes me wanna have it right now like that, then Ill get one. So im waiting for some decent games on the WII.

14. AClark

AClark What's a Dremel?

I'm also waiting before I go out and buy a Wii. At the moment I only really want to play Zelda, but then what do I do when I'm done with that game?

Assign my consoel to the cupboard?

I'm also waiting for some news about the Wii's online capabilities and features. Maybe then I'll go out and buy, providing the news is good!

15. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

All I know at the moment of the online stuff is that the Wii will have its first online enabled game next year. Quite probably Q1. This game is Elibits (or something like that anyway :) )
    The initial reviews of the online service for VC have been a little poor with quite slow speeds loading each page as its just a cut down opera nabing stuff from the 'web when it 's asked.

16. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

according to this site: http://nexgenwars.com/

and considering this:

[​IMG]

from 28-11-06

i think the wii is selling very nicely.... if this keeps up the wii will even win the 360....

even the 360 is outselling the PS3 :D

17. Nezodon

Nezodon What's a Dremel?

Thats the very first thing i thought when i saw people playing a demo of this, of course im sure like most i would look like an idiot using it but hey its all fun.

18. Chuff_72

Uh, yeah, the 360 has been out a YEAR and PS3 isn't even out in Europe yet! Give it two years then come again.

Just to give some perspective on the next gen consoles, the original Xbox, which was branded a failure when launched, sold 4 million more consoles than the 360 over the same period when it launched. Looks like most peeps are either, happy to wait for the Wii / PS3 or are still happy with their PS2. So we'll have to wait and see who wins the new "console war".

I have a 360 by the way, and it rocks.

19. aggies11

aggies11 What's a Dremel?

Wii is about multiplayer gamming (many people infront of the tv). 360 is great for singleplayer (with using Live for multi over the net).

The two experiences don't really overlap that much, aside for things like Zelda, and I don't think they are supposed to. Wii60 is a very real and smart choice.

For me, I don't need a 360 as the PC is where I do my "hardcore" gaming.

As for the Wii, Wii-sports alone is "revolutionary" in the innovative control schemes. Each night my enitre family does a couple of rounds of bowling. I've had countless epic tennis matches with my dad. Whenever my mates and I get together for a few drinks, vicious Wii Boxing matches break out.

Wii sports alone has my family playing games (which hasn't happened since the NES days), and it's just great fun. The joy of swinging the remote and hearing the "pop" of the ball being hit (comming from the remote no less!) is fantastic.

Red Steel is so-so, a vanilla shooter, not cutting edge in looks department, but the control scheme is "interesting". Definitely not "easy", but interesting. Not sure if I like it better than a controller. It's definitely no substitue for mouse-keyboard though.

Not a fan of Monkey Ball, the Ubisoft 4x4 game is absolute trash, and Rayman seems to be very promising.

I have only gotten a few hrs into Zelda so far, because each time I go to play, I end up just playing another match of Tennis with me dad ;)

Aggies

20. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i got to the site once.... and about 60 minutes later

the 360 sold 3128 consoles
    the PS3 sold 459 consoles
    the wii sold 1241

the 360 is outselling the wii and the wii is outselling the PS3.......

its all about (number of consoles sold)/(time) = ...... pwnage rate.....:p

Tags: Add Tags