1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News 180 PS3s stolen in Japan

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Da Dego, 6 Dec 2006.

1. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

They produce 225 in a week? So thats, 45/d in a 5 day week, which means that they have 45 people working on them making one a day!

3. rupbert

rupbert What's a Dremel?

225 a week? Surely not?

4. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

225 a week, is just under 12000 a year. I think that number might be a bit wrong. lol.

5. Matkubicki

Matkubicki What's a Dremel?

No wonder it was late if it took them nearly 35 years to make the 400,000 they had for the US launch!!

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Yeah, 225 a week is clearly wrong. If it were true, then to manufacture 10 million units (Sony's stated goal for its installed user base by the end of 2007) would take 44,444 weeks, i.e ~855 years! I guesstimate manufacturing capacity is running at somewhere in the order of 100,000 per week, with a view to ramping up in the New Year when Europe comes online.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

They launched with less than half that... I'd heard as low as 125k.

So... 180... that's like 10% of the market, right? Well, from how disappointed many owners have been, it's not a huge loss :p

8. trailblazer

trailblazer What's a Dremel?

Linking to the original article, that says that 180 units was 80 percent of this weeks production run, since this was supposed to have happened yesterday, that might mean that 180 units was 80 percent of what had been produced so far this week. No one got hurt anyway, but it helps to keep the prices up there.

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Hey guys, the 225/week thing IS a bit odd - I didn't clarify my thoughts well in the original article. I've edited since then, I was thinking along the lines of trailblazer's thought above but honestly I'm not really sure of Engadget's official meaning. I'm trying to check into it now, but for the moment we'll work with trailblazer's definition of 80% of what's been produced this week. :)

Regardless, I bet it will still have a pretty strong market effect...we're not that far out from the holidays, losing even that percentage of your production could cause some issues. What do you guys think?

10. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

I think it may have financial repercussions. Increasing cost to us as security has to be stepped up and paid for by somebody.

11. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

From Engadget...

"Haha...yeah, that figure was a joke." :p Striking from the news now. Please resume regular discussion and forget that some days I'm an idiot. At least I cited them, so I'm not totally braindead. :)

My apologies, everyone.

12. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i can only think of: LOL PWND

13. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

How is a company pwnd when they have a shipment stolen??

180 units? In the long run, it doesn't really matter. Out of the thousands that want one and can't get one anytime soon, adding 180 would be recipients to the lot isn't anything tragic.

14. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

when i say "LOL PWND" i am trying to imply that with the weak supply sony has of PS3 and the fact that someone stole something rare and "important", for their business, that was in a warehouse that should have some kind of security, they were really PWND, sorry, they should be more careful with their "important" stock.

and considering that they are loosing money with each PS3......

Tags: Add Tags